Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Can you believe it?

On my current trip two faults have appeared on the Hymer :Sad:

Firstly the engine glow plugs have stopped operating... have had a quick look at fuses and all seem ok...

Secondly the temp gauge has been showing the engine overheating... but when checking under the bonnet all seems fine, no excess heat or such like and the needle of the gauge flicks about quite a bit in the "hot" zone. I diagnose a faulty gauge/dirty connection. (Of course it has been 30 C outside)

By a quirk of fate I talked to my Chief Mechanic from Sennybridge last night and was told there was no need to fly him out to Portugal to fix the glow plugs...

He said probably a loose wire or the like. (I suspect he and Kath had something better to do this weekend rather than a trip over here :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:)

JJ :Cool:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Can you believe it?

Firstly the engine glow plugs have stopped operating... have had a quick look at fuses and all seem ok...

Secondly the temp gauge has been showing the engine overheating... but when checking under the bonnet all seems fine, no excess heat or such like and the needle of the gauge flicks about quite a bit in the "hot" zone. I diagnose a faulty gauge/dirty connection. (Of course it has been 30 C outside)

By a quirk of fate I talked to my Chief Mechanic from Sennybridge last night and was told there was no need to fly him out to Portugal to fix the glow plugs...

He said probably a loose wire or the like. (I suspect he and Kath had something better to do this weekend rather than a trip over here :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:)

Pity JJ he could have replenished your stock of FB pies ::bigsmile:
terry

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
JJ, knowing you mechanical prowes, check your engine earth, big black (usually) wire from the engine block to the chassis/battery, even if attached, and looking OK, maybe just remove and clean the contacts, or cheat and loosen slightly and wiggle it vigerously about, don't know but glow plugs heavy (ish) current draw and poor earth could affect the temp guage also, mind you I'd have thought you'd also notice poor cranking, but worth a thought/look?

Have FUN:thumb:

We wouldn't want you stuck on holiday now would we:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Can you believe it?

I have booked a flight already :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

MercManW123

Free Member
Jun 3, 2011
Essex England
Funster No
MH
Looking for a Merc Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Looked on the Mercedes-Benz Club's technical website for you JJ, and failure of the plugs seems to steer towards replacement; if you've checked other possible problems such as dirty contacts.

If you do have to replace them, then a number of posters advise:

i) Giving them a good spray the night before - but if poss using 'PlusGas' instead of WD40 (WD40 often gets berated).

ii) A number of posts refer to glow plug removal when the engine is HOT - not cold.

iii) Apparently, they are difficult to remove and have a tendency to snap so you really need to use 'gentle' force.

You probably knew this info already but if you want me to check anything else out let me know and I can contact one of the online technical guys at the club.

Regards,

Bal

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
Can you believe it?

Check each glow plug in turn you will find 2 have failed the 616 engine uses current to operate the glow plug indicator thus if one fails you still get the light but if 2 fail no light :whatthe:

Re the temp gauge mine also jumps about and needs a tap now and again :Smile: only problem modern replacement gauges are smaller than the VDO ones :Sad:

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
Looked on the Mercedes-Benz Club's technical website for you JJ, and failure of the plugs seems to steer towards replacement; if you've checked other possible problems such as dirty contacts.

If you do have to replace them, then a number of posters advise:

i) Giving them a good spray the night before - but if poss using 'PlusGas' instead of WD40 (WD40 often gets berated).

ii) A number of posts refer to glow plug removal when the engine is HOT - not cold.

iii) Apparently, they are difficult to remove and have a tendency to snap so you really need to use 'gentle' force.

You probably knew this info already but if you want me to check anything else out let me know and I can contact one of the online technical guys at the club.

Regards,

Bal

When I changed mine had no problem all 4 unscrewed ok been in engine for 24 years I would advise a cold engine as access is a pain :Eeek:

MercManW123

Free Member
Jun 3, 2011
Essex England
Funster No
MH
Looking for a Merc Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
When I changed mine had no problem all 4 unscrewed ok been in engine for 24 years I would advise a cold engine as access is a pain :Eeek:

I did think that myself to be honest - who wants to be playing around in a hot engine! :Eeek:

I was just going by what a number of people were advising ALTHOUGH they were referring to cars not MH's (I don't think many classic Merc enthusiasts are into MH's for some reason - probably too down market for them!) so maybe access to the plugs is different.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
I found the same soak in penitrating fluid a good while before attempting removal for our 6.5 Chevy TD, don't know if it made any difference but I do know they all came out, a mear 16 years in situ, but again lots of scare stories about snapping. The watch word here seems to be go gently.

Mind you, we're probably talking a new language in JJs mind by now:ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the only common factor between the two problems is an earth connection. I'd be looking for a corroded earth strap someplace.might be easier just to connect a new earth strap.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I have seen you fine tuning the Kipor, maybe a thump here and there might be all you need:winky::roflmto::ROFLMAO:

Happy holidays old timer:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thank you for all your helpful tips, suggestions and advice...

...after due consideration sipping an ice cold Pepsi I have reached a decision...

... I will get one of my people to deal with it in due course... :winky: :ROFLMAO:

PS better tidy up the guest bedroom then Kath...:thumb:

Feb 3, 2008
ireland
Funster No
MH
class a r.v.
Exp
10yrs
the only common factor between the two problems is an earth connection. I'd be looking for a corroded earth strap someplace.might be easier just to connect a new earth strap.

earth strap is ok...its the rest of it that needs changing, its got old and haggard...bit like man,city.......:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi JJ there is a way of checking the heater plugs in situ but you do need to remove the power cables off each of them.

if you get a basic test lamp and connect one end to the positive on the battery then touch each heater plug power connection in turn if your light lights then that plug is ok.

second test is similar but different don't disconnect the power to the heater plugs but connect one end of same test lamp to the power connection on one heater plug put the other end of your test lamp on the negative on your battery then get someone to turn on the ignition if the test lamp works then the heater plug relay is working though this should automatically turn its self off after a short while.

then you have narrowed the problem to either plugs or the relay.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
I have seen you fine tuning the Kipor, maybe a thump here and there might be all you need:winky::roflmto::ROFLMAO:

Happy holidays old timer:ROFLMAO:

photo.jpg

JJ did very well with the genni John, after he read the manual of course. Have you got one for the hymer JJ??:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Can you read German::bigsmile:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Before you start pulling out glowplugs, have a think.....

Was the vehicle starting fine before, or was it cranking for some time before starting first thing (assuming you wait for your plugs to heat first) and easy to start the rest of the day?

If it has been consistent in starting, and not been playing up for a while - it is probably and earth lead, loose wire, or glow plug relay. To test this, turn key (with engine cover off if it helps) and listen to the relay - you should here a dull click........if it doesn't click after 10-30 seconds, then your relay may be stuck. Clean contacts, give it a tap and it may well work for a while.

Check the connections on the glowplugs - they may have rattled loose - this will be a wire that runs between all the glowplugs, attached on top by an 8mm nut. This is a live wire, so try not to arc it. Check and clean earth leads.

If the glow plugs are faulty, you can kick start them with a direct jump. Run a jump lead from the live on your battery, and touch it to the last glowplug - it will spark, but fear not! Give it a few seconds, and then start as normal.

If you have an electric fan, you can bypass the fan switch and having it running constantly. The fan works by shorting out, when it shorts, it comes on - so by shorting it with a piece of wire it will stay on for the journey home.

Lets just hope they are not connected...good luck fella!:thumb:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Before you start pulling out glowplugs, have a think.....

Was the vehicle starting fine before, or was it cranking for some time before starting first thing (assuming you wait for your plugs to heat first) and easy to start the rest of the day?

If it has been consistent in starting, and not been playing up for a while - it is probably and earth lead, loose wire, or glow plug relay. To test this, turn key (with engine cover off if it helps) and listen to the relay - you should here a dull click........if it doesn't click after 10-30 seconds, then your relay may be stuck. Clean contacts, give it a tap and it may well work for a while.

Check the connections on the glowplugs - they may have rattled loose - this will be a wire that runs between all the glowplugs, attached on top by an 8mm nut. This is a live wire, so try not to arc it. Check and clean earth leads.

If the glow plugs are faulty, you can kick start them with a direct jump. Run a jump lead from the live on your battery, and touch it to the last glowplug - it will spark, but fear not! Give it a few seconds, and then start as normal.

If you have an electric fan, you can bypass the fan switch and having it running constantly. The fan works by shorting out, when it shorts, it comes on - so by shorting it with a piece of wire it will stay on for the journey home.

Lets just hope they are not connected...good luck fella!:thumb:

Until the glow plug light stopped illuminating (I wait until it goes out before starting engine) the beautiful, 5 cylinder, 2.9 merc engine started FIRST revolution EVERY time for three years.

Now the light doesn't come on (suggesting a glow plug fault?) it takes three sessions of short cranking. Even when the engine is quite warm it always started better with a bit of pre heat...

Not a major problem but I liked showing off how the Hymer started first turn of the engine...:winky:

When I get back to HQ there are people who will get their hands dirty for me...:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back