LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
having had my 2.8 jdt chipped in March, Ive just brimed the tank and worked out he mpg, only 24.13 mpg:Sad:

motorhome is a 3800kilo autotrail scout

miles covered = 464

lts used = 87.4 ( 1 lot of 20 lts + 1 lot of 67.4tls) converted to

gals used = 19.225

I’ve spoken to wow and discussed my driving style and putting a cleaner (forte) in the tank and I will record correctly the fuel and mileage over the next two weeks were we should cover 1200 miles hopefully we will get a better mpg.

On the plus side the unit does drive better, but I have been very conscious of driving for economy since the chipping just to see how high a mpg I could obtain

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
not good:shout:
i am a big fan of remaping,but dont believe some figures banded about mpg.
at least your honest about your mpg:thumb:
good luck getting it sorted:thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
having had my 2.8 jdt chipped in March, Ive just brimed the tank and worked out he mpg, only 24.13 mpg:Sad:
motorhome is a 3800kilo autotrail scout
miles covered = 464
lts used = 87.4 ( 1 lot of 20 lts + 1 lot of 67.4tls) converted to
gals used = 19.225
I’ve spoken to wow and discussed my driving style and putting a cleaner (forte) in the tank and I will record correctly the fuel and mileage over the next two weeks were we should cover 1200 miles hopefully we will get a better mpg.
On the plus side the unit does drive better, but I have been very conscious of driving for economy since the chipping just to see how high a mpg I could obtain
I have no experience with chips but 24mpg doesn't sound too bad to me.
The four big elements that effect your fuel are wind your right foot turane speed and using your brakes. If the chip has given you more power then the temptation will be to use that extra power, reducing your MPG.:cry:
If MPG is a key factor then a smaller motorhome will give you better consumption.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Why do you think it should have a higher mpg ?

Fuel is turned into energy to propel your van. The van weighs the same. So unless FIAT did a totally crap mapping job how can it improve ?

FIAT just might have the mixture a bit rich to ensure longevity then some mapper could weaken this to minimum and improve mpg but reduce the engine life from 150K to 50K. We have had a holed piston in a Mercedes on here. NOTE I am not saying WOW have done anything of the sort, I talking theoretical here.

You say you have more torque, which is expected, so the only way to get more torque is to burn more fuel.

Our 2l FIAT has been flashed, dramatic improvement in torque but first time out I used that torque and got 20 mpg, backing off a lot it returns 25 mpg just the same as before it was flashed.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
To be sure of your MPG you need to keep a record over multiple fill ups over a period of months to eliminate all the other variables such as weather, temperature, driving style variations etc.

I normally do this on a spreadsheet which is pretty simple to do. I got 24.9 out of my old Lunar on a 3.5 tonne chassis and get about the same (25.3) from my 3.0 multijet on a 4.0 tonne chassis. The first was remapped and the second is only 1400 miles and no remap. I am a great fan of remapping where appropriate but do not use better economy as a buying decision maker. You might get better economy as the engine is not working so hard but driving style and cruising speed will have much, much more effect. As written above - a certain amount of power is needed to propel the van along the road which required a certain amount of energy to be used and a certain amount of fuel to be burnt. All interdependent upon each other.

The big benefit of a remap to me is the ease of driving.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004

Fuel is turned into energy to propel your van. The van weighs the same. So unless FIAT did a totally crap mapping job how can it improve ?

FIAT just might have the mixture a bit rich to ensure longevity then some mapper could weaken this to minimum and improve mpg but reduce the engine life from 150K to 50K. We have had a holed piston in a Mercedes on here. NOTE I am not saying WOW have done anything of the sort, I talking theoretical here.

You say you have more torque, which is expected, so the only way to get more torque is to burn more fuel.

Our 2l FIAT has been flashed, dramatic improvement in torque but first time out I used that torque and got 20 mpg, backing off a lot it returns 25 mpg just the same as before it was flashed.

fiat and all manufactorer map there cars/vans so they will operate at sea level or up the highest road in the world,by tweeking the map to your reqirerment(sp) helps it, less stress on the engine, better torque,better( sometimes) mpg.
but some of the figures banded about are wrong to say the least.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
I have no experience with chips but 24mpg doesn't sound too bad to me.
The four big elements that effect your fuel are wind your right foot turane speed and using your brakes. If the chip has given you more power then the temptation will be to use that extra power, reducing your MPG.:cry:
If MPG is a key factor then a smaller motorhome will give you better consumption.

Thats why I contacted wow, they said I would have been gewtting 23/24mpg prior to chipping and 27/28 now. We are going to try a cleaner and light foot

but no I wont be buying a v dub, couldn't fit my wine collection in one:RollEyes:

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
To be sure of your MPG you need to keep a record over multiple fill ups over a period of months to eliminate all the other variables such as weather, temperature, driving style variations etc.

I normally do this on a spreadsheet which is pretty simple to do. I got 24.9 out of my old Lunar on a 3.5 tonne chassis and get about the same (25.3) from my 3.0 multijet on a 4.0 tonne chassis. The first was remapped and the second is only 1400 miles and no remap. I am a great fan of remapping where appropriate but do not use better economy as a buying decision maker. You might get better economy as the engine is not working so hard but driving style and cruising speed will have much, much more effect. As written above - a certain amount of power is needed to propel the van along the road which required a certain amount of energy to be used and a certain amount of fuel to be burnt. All interdependent upon each other.

The big benefit of a remap to me is the ease of driving.

thats what I intend to do over the next big trip, ant that the truth, but the tech guys seem to think that the mpg is posible it just seems we need to work a little on achiving it.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
My Volvo has now done 17.000 miles and the MPG has suddenly really improved.

Never believed the engine freeing up till now.

Out of interest how does chipping effect warranty?

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp

not me its the tech people at wow, we looking at how best to achive it, my op was not a complaint about wow, but mearly a report on what I personly have experanced, possibly to help others, Im hoping a cleaner and lifgt foot will help and will report back again in 3 weeks or so

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp

not too sure, I dont think they would like it, it dosn't apply to me, mines well out of warranty

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
MPG

I have a130 mutijet Fiat in a 3700kg Rapido. From new it was driven gently for the first 5K, after that just keeping to sedate motorway speeds around 60/65. It now does 28.4 mpg regularly and only drops lower if I increase speed to around 70/75 when in France and even then it still does just over 25.

Perhaps gentle running in helped, but I am sure driving style helps too.

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I had my 2.3 Fiat remapped by WOW, and the difference in performance was stunning. Far better torque and acceleration. However, I have cruise control fitted and use it all the time. Consequently, my MPG is aroung 23 at 70 MPH. If I dont use cruise control I can get around 29 MPG at 70MPH. As Cruise tries to keep to the selected speed, you can see the accelerator pedal flat to the floor when a hill or incline is encountered. ERGO a lower MPG. You / I would feather the throttle and allow the speed to drop slightly. Cruise Control acually makes driving the 'van much more relaxed and enjoyable.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
I certainly get 24 mpg out of my 2.8JTD I just watch the way I drive...lots of coasting.... very little braking and NO hard acceleration.....

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
One very important point, if you want to have your van remapped, is to check with your insurer first. If you don't you're driving uninsured, with all that means. It's easy enough for the insurers to check. I'm told that it's even possible to tell when the remapping was done, so you can't say it was before your time...

On the other hand, my own insurers told me that if the remap was for economy there'd be no increase in premium - but I'd have to prove it with a note from the remapping outfit. They've also said this for cruise control.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Save fuel don't use supermarket fuel :)

My mate gets an extra 45 miles out of a full tank in his Ford Transit using BP instead of Tesco fuel.
I 100% agree with the post above:thumb:
but someone will be along in a min and tell you why it all the same bla bla bla
ITS not the same supermarket fuel is sh*t dont use it:shout:

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp

The way I have always heard it........ time and time again......

It all comes from the same place, but BP - Esso etc take it away and put their additives in whereas supermarkets take it straight to the forecourt.

I wouldn't use supermarket fuel in ANY vehicle!

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
The way I have always heard it........ time and time again......

It all comes from the same place, but BP - Esso etc take it away and put their additives in whereas supermarkets take it straight to the forecourt.

I wouldn't use supermarket fuel in ANY vehicle!
google (supermarket fuel) and you will see we are not alone.:thumb:
makes my van lazy:Doh:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009

john if you've been dragging your caravan around for a while recently that can help as it makes the engine work harder thus burning out all the crap that builds up through town driving etc.

my mate used to drag a 750kg cattle frame for his work as a foot trimmer and the difference it made to his cars after around 3 months of towing was unbelievable.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Update to my wow upgrade data

464.3 miles 19.22 gals 24.16mpg . Prior to holls

330 miles 13.03 miles 25.35 Doncaster to Dover then onto Bay de Somme

292.3 miles 13.14 gals 22.25 mpg Bay de Somme to Saumur

362 miles 14.65 gals 24.71 mpg Saumer to Dunkirk

Dunkirk back to Doncaster not filled up yet

Overall mpg this year 24.13

Same trip two years ago prior to upgrade I got 22.23 mpg

Deleted User
Does'nt sound a lot but is 8.5% improvement, WOW claim 8 - 15% so within their claims.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Does'nt sound a lot but is 8.5% improvement, WOW claim 8 - 15% so within their claims.

yes its an improvment, but not as good as it might seem, I have now looked at my notes from two years ago, its seems I was traveling faster that year, (this year I was in convoy with my tugger son in law and max speeds were ((upto)) 60mph), the previous journy we were traveling upto 70mph.

I must add the drive up the big hiles on the route we took was much easier pleanty of power, less changing gear, to my mind well worth the £250 quide for that alone.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

The science and the very detailed lab testing behind it simply blows a hole in that argument - I have posted before about the differences between supermarket fuel and branded fuel, the specifications, the lack of credible complaints about supermarket fuel ("it is sh*t" isn't really and argument), the lack of action by trading standards over supermarket fuel being sub standard etc etc etc.

I will always buy the cheapest fuel I can, provided that is not out of my way. Just drove up and back to and from Woodvale and generally filled up with Shell. No difference at all with that and my usual Asda/tesco fill up.

It is a free country and anyone can fill their vehicle with what they want but to make a sweeping statement about all supermarket fuel is not very constructive. And yes, I have read all the largely anecdotal claims on various forums about the fuel as well. Let's see some real facts to back up the claims that the fuel is substandard and I'll take it up with Trading Standards........

Per the remap issue, an 8% increase in economy is very nice to have - getting on for 2mpg - every little helps

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back