Free Member
Jul 18, 2011
POOLE
Funster No
MH
CI Cipro Garage 2004
Exp
Hi everyone

Have just been to Italy in our Ci Cipro for 3 weeks using a standard car Tom Tom, got stuck a few times on roads too narrow or low bridges - really need a motorhome Sat Nav. Have been looking on Amazon at the various models but customer reviews are quite negative for most models. I had been recommended the Ventura 7000 but in the reviews, many people have had them pixelate after only a short time of use and had to get replacements, others have said the maximum volume is still too quiet. Any one have experience of models they would recommend? I need to be able to swap it easily between car and campervan and use in the UK and Europe.:helpsos:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi everyone
I need to be able to swap it easily between car and campervan and use in the UK and Europe.:helpsos:

The swapping easily bit-have a look at a Navmat-it sits on dash.I use mine in the Motorhome and in the car.
The Sat Nav-that's a quest I'm on too ::bigsmile:

Mike

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Whilst at the Midsummer break thrash, I bought a thing called a Planet Navigation GPS

Bought it from Electronics World Wide Ltd.. They hail from Dutton near Northwich

have so far been VERY pleased with it ( covers the whole or Europe, including Hungary and Czech republic ) and you can enter your motorhome dimensions so it avoids narrow routes or low bridges..

The unit is based on CE Windows so is very very versatile

Cost was £250.00

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I have negotiated the folowing countries with TOMTOM, france,Spain,Italy, Croatia, Austria, Holland, and most of mainland europe passing through. also use EXACTLY the same model (i use either the 700 or the 930, i have two...long story) for work, and i am a HGV driver pulling 40ft artics.

NONE of the "HVG friendly/motorhome/caravan" satnavs have received good enough reviews to warrant paying sometimes double the price for them, and i am certain they onlyn use the nsame mapping as the others...what else is out there:whatthe:.

The trick to using satnav, is to use it as an AID, not a co-pilot. When using mine, I check the map first to see what route is most sensible, I also take note of anthing that rings an alarm bell....ie going mostly anywhere in France from Calais, will get you directed through Paris..not good, and make a rough note of it, I may also, see that ther might be something i WANT to travel near or stop at.
I then use the satnav to plan my route, the next trick is to go into "READ ROUTE" i normally get mine up as text. You can then, read the detils of the route out and plot it across your map,....this way you will SEE that (in the UK) it maay be plotting you OFF a roads B roads and shoving you down scatty little back roads....or through Cheltenham at tea time:Eeek:. You can then press "avoid part of route" and let it find you an alternative...the above also works abroad.

By actually working WITH the satnav, and learning its functions, it can be an invaluable aid to stress free travelling. You are much better off, spending time learnign how to work the unit, that suffering the consequences............i,m off to somewhere in Rugby in the morning,..if i get it wrong, possibly i will need police assistance to help me out, or block up a small villiage for a day:Eeek:.
When you collected your motorhome, you will have no doubt had an extensive run through of its workings....spend the same time with your satnav,...and you will have much happier travelling.:thumb:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi everyone

Have just been to Italy in our Ci Cipro for 3 weeks using a standard car Tom Tom, got stuck a few times on roads too narrow or low bridges - really need a motorhome Sat Nav. Have been looking on Amazon at the various models but customer reviews are quite negative for most models. I had been recommended the Ventura 7000 but in the reviews, many people have had them pixelate after only a short time of use and had to get replacements, others have said the maximum volume is still too quiet. Any one have experience of models they would recommend? I need to be able to swap it easily between car and campervan and use in the UK and Europe.:helpsos:
Hi We have a Garmin and like your tom tom it get us in to trouble home and abroard,:Doh: I have been recommended the Snooper which lets you put your height and weight etc so a swop is on the cards soon. Pete :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As darklord mentions, the mapping is the problem. It doesn't matter how fancy the software is at allowing input of vehicle dimensions if the mapping data does not contain comprehensive road measurements for the software to use.

For instance, the widths of B and C classified roads (and even some A roads) can vary significantly. If all roads of a given classification are lumped together by the combination of software and data then it is highly likely that a narrow road will be on a route sooner or later or a route will be less than optimum because a given class of road is avoided in its entirety.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We have and use all the time ( talk about OTT !!! ) a Garmin Nuvi, a Tomtom 1000 and this new thing

The Garmin is great but is too expensive to update so is used primarily to find aires etc

The Tomtom is up to date on the roads, and I do actually like the way the info is presented ( never thought I would say that I can tell you ) but is bloody hard work compared to the Nuvi
The Tomtom is ok for Bosnia and Croatia but .............. in all honesty only has half the story and most of the roads seem to be missing.. The trunk roads are all there of course but once you hit a town.. ziltch ( In fact I have spoken to Tomtom and they said the maps for the Croatia area WILL be updated and filled in 'within the next five years'.. which is why I bought the new thing )

The new one ( not sure what to call it but it is CE based ) is great for all countries and no matter what others who have not tried the system say, is really accurate when it comes to what roads, bridges and clearances you get sent down

Yearly updates are £30.00 should you want to do them ( I will proly do an update once every 2 or maybe 3 years )

So.. the dash might look like an early version of the USS Enterprise, but we rarely get lost ! ::bigsmile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Glad I'm not the only one using more than one satnav.
I use TomTom for the pois and Snooper for the route. Sometimes when they disagree I will take whichever I prefer.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As darklord mentions, the mapping is the problem. It doesn't matter how fancy the software is at allowing input of vehicle dimensions if the mapping data does not contain comprehensive road measurements for the software to use.

For instance, the widths of B and C classified roads (and even some A roads) can vary significantly. If all roads of a given classification are lumped together by the combination of software and data then it is highly likely that a narrow road will be on a route sooner or later or a route will be less than optimum because a given class of road is avoided in its entirety.

It gets worse in France ..

Autoroutes and National roads are no problem for sat nav.. it's the D roads that land you in the poo .. , for D is not a classification or width , but denotes a road maintained by the Department ..
At one extreme it can be a narrow two lane farm road just wide enough for two 2CVs to pass,( go down one of these with an 8ft motorhome and you are in deep poo.) .. at the other, a dual carriageway .

The only way to plan a route off the beaten track or cross country is by using a good map.. Depend on a sat nav, ANY sat nav and sooner or later you will end up in trouble.. but I know those with so called truck sat navs will have to test themselves before they believe .. :RollEyes:

You can load bridge heights, narrow roads and weight restrictions to any sat nav unit. Granted they won't navigate around them but they will warn you before you proceed..

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have a Garmin 865 and was going to buy a snooper ventura but I understand it will not accept co ordinates as a search method :Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
one thing i have noticed with low bridge POI's......they all appear to show as 'less than 14ft 6in.

question is....how much less ?

buy a proper set John and they have all the limits .. about a tenner..
BridgeX Features

* Details of more than 3000 bridges in England Scotland and Wales
* Simplifies safe route planning
* Audible and visual alert for bridges on route
* Set alerts to suit the height of the vehicle
* Reduces driver stress
* Simple POI installation and and fully supported
* One-off payment and free updates for life

from http://www.lowbridges.com/

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi

We have had a snooper truckmate for 3 years now and it does take co ordinates etc, and low bridges and directs you away from them. We have never yet been taken down wrong roads and have been highly satisified with it. Have noticed that there is a 2011 snooper 2000 truckmate out for about £300, we bought our direct from Snooper.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Hi We have a Garmin and like your tom tom it get us in to trouble home and abroard,:Doh: I have been recommended the Snooper which lets you put your height and weight etc so a swop is on the cards soon. Pete :thumb:

I wouldn't waste your money on a Snooper Pete, I bought the latest one last month tested it on a route in the UK which is very narrow for a motorhome, guess what - it sent me along that route even though I had increased the width of the motorhome in the settings.

Someone tested a Garmin Dezl with the same vehicle details -it selected the 'wide route' so clearly better than Snooper. However, have to agree with the other posts about not relying on sat navs and using them as a guide only.

Mike

Simba

Free Member
May 17, 2010
Basildon, Essex. UK
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
Since 2009-2013
Will follow this thread with interest as I had a sat nav until today :cry: when the local druggies decided to nick it out of the van (my fault left window open about 3 inches and was away from van about 35mins) so have now got to get a new one and don't know which to get.

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp

I have a Garmin also and was going to set it to Lorry mode once I (finally) get my MH, still no good even with that setting?

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have both and tom tom but when we didn't trust snooper the other day we used tom tomand imediatley it took us down the wrong route so swapped back to snooper.we like snooper s600 for the ability to put in height width and weight of our van.but in france did show different named roads than on the map.they have changed most of their road names there so couldnt check on the route but mainly we are happy with it and wouldnt trust tom tom. and have had the tom tom xxl for trucks but didnt get on with it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back