Free Member
Jun 3, 2011
Essex England
Funster No
MH
Looking for a Merc Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all - wonder if anyone can help, or been in a similar dilemma?

I'm about to buy my first Motor Home having read lots of info since Easter, and looking at various options.

I've got my eye on one that I particularly like - it feels the right one and meets all of my requirements - and as I was previously advised on this forum - "you won't necessarily find your Motor Home, it will find you".

However, whilst we are in the process of selling our home, we don't have enough space to park the MH safely. I don't want to let it slip through the net and lose out (it's quite unique), so I'm seriously considering buying it now and storing it somewhere safe until the house is sold. This could obviously take a few months.

I've asked the dealer and offered to pay storage, and whilst he is more than helpful and wants the sale, he has limited space available (he needs the space for more cars on his forecourt).

I've tried a couple of local storage companies but they aren't willing to store anything larger than a 4x4. Any ideas?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Store Now .. is on the A12 at Ingatestone near Chelmsford.. I used for a year for my 36ft RV, prior to going fulltime.. .. very secure.. 24hr access via security gates using a swipe card ..but not cheap , you pay by the foot..

Link Removed

johnson

Free Member
Aug 7, 2009
Hungerford
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
3 years
Find a local farm - with livestock.
Farms have to be fairly secure - keep animals in / stop them being stolen plus usually well attended for animal welfare.
Most farmers happy to rent a space for a small sum.

Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Find a local farm - with livestock.
Farms have to be fairly secure - keep animals in / stop them being stolen plus usually well attended for animal welfare.
Most farmers happy to rent a space for a small sum.

Paul

none that I have asked.. and that was a lot before I found Store Now ..

they are too worried about security and a possible claim if anything is damaged or stolen.. they are not insured for storing third party vehicles.. besides, farms are not secure... unless inside a locked barn.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Google "Caravan storage Site Owners Association" and see who is local to you.

They have "bronze" "silver" and "gold" standards.

Most want annual contracts but some will do short term contracts, depends who busy they are, good luck:thumb:

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Link Removed Ask for Tony, storage under camera and iron gates, its where we put ours.:thumb:

denborv

Free Member
Jul 17, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 1991
Motorhome Storage

Try local campsites. I stored my 39ft RV long term at a campsite which had a seperate storage facility. Cost was 20.00 weekly. You could also try Googling caravan storage in your area. Hope this is useful.
Dennis ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
M

MercManW123

Free Member
Jun 3, 2011
Essex England
Funster No
MH
Looking for a Merc Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks ever so much for the advice - this forum really is the bees knees and Motor Homers are so helpful - even to a newbie such as myself with 1001 questions!

I can't wait to join the happy throng!

Oh well, it's now decision time!
:thanks:

denborv

Free Member
Jul 17, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 1991
First Motorhome

I can remember the excitement of purchasing our first motorhome 20 years ago. The freedom it gives you to be able to go just about anywhere cannot be bettered. We spent the first ten years travelling 40,000 miles throughout Europe mostly in the school holidays when the children came with us. It took us as far north as Oslo and as far south as Gibralter and lots of places inbetween. Up to the tip of Scotland and all around Ireland. More recently we took off for North America and spent two years and 35,000 miles travelling through 36 states. During this time we crossed the border into Canada travelling through British Columbia and the Yukon into Alaska. We spent seven weeks getting to the border with Alaska and a further seven weeks in Alaska. We've also had some good long haul holidays but without the motorhome we wouldn't have visited half the places we have. I'm sure you won't regret your purchase.
Denborv. :thumb:

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
I can remember the excitement of purchasing our first motorhome 20 years ago. The freedom it gives you to be able to go just about anywhere cannot be bettered. We spent the first ten years travelling 40,000 miles throughout Europe mostly in the school holidays when the children came with us. It took us as far north as Oslo and as far south as Gibralter and lots of places inbetween. Up to the tip of Scotland and all around Ireland. More recently we took off for North America and spent two years and 35,000 miles travelling through 36 states. During this time we crossed the border into Canada travelling through British Columbia and the Yukon into Alaska. We spent seven weeks getting to the border with Alaska and a further seven weeks in Alaska. We've also had some good long haul holidays but without the motorhome we wouldn't have visited half the places we have. I'm sure you won't regret your purchase.
Denborv. :thumb:

Now THAT'S what I call motorhoming!

Did you export your motorhome to USA? :thumb: Or did you buy another one when you got there? You can't have hired it? Not for 2 years?

denborv

Free Member
Jul 17, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 1991
We purchased in Oregon and exported to the UK after the adventure. The RV was sold after some time to a couple from France where it is now.

The V10 Squad

Free Member
Jul 11, 2011
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Four Winds B class
Exp
Jan 2010
Hi all - wonder if anyone can help, or been in a similar dilemma?

I'm about to buy my first Motor Home having read lots of info since Easter, and looking at various options.

I've got my eye on one that I particularly like - it feels the right one and meets all of my requirements - and as I was previously advised on this forum - "you won't necessarily find your Motor Home, it will find you".

However, whilst we are in the process of selling our home, we don't have enough space to park the MH safely. I don't want to let it slip through the net and lose out (it's quite unique), so I'm seriously considering buying it now and storing it somewhere safe until the house is sold. This could obviously take a few months.

I've asked the dealer and offered to pay storage, and whilst he is more than helpful and wants the sale, he has limited space available (he needs the space for more cars on his forecourt).

I've tried a couple of local storage companies but they aren't willing to store anything larger than a 4x4. Any ideas?

Have you a local friendly farmer with spare space, ours is inside in a barn
we about 3 miles away but its kept well and has light and power if we need
to do any work. Or anyone with a large garden/drive for a few quid would let you park.. hope it helps

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We keep ours in storage all the time as we don't have room at home, and anyway if you keep it at home, unless it can't be seen, you are advertising to any passer-by that you are away.:Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back