Campervan ? (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We are pitched on the Camping and Caravanning Club site on Skye . Its blowing a hooly with horizontal rain. There are two modern vw campervans a few yards from me both with tents beside them, one tents occupants are German and you could not stand up in their tent or van as it is not a lift top. They look absolutely miserable :Sad: while we sit roughing it watching tv with central heating and a freshly cooked hot meal and beverage. :Smile:
Is the economy really worth it, is it fun ? :Eeek:

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Can't afford it at 12mpg :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
No its not fun, particularly as you get older,thats why I stopped having old Vw aircooled vans.But there were other advantages in owning that sort of van ,ie no road tax,easy to repair, cheap to service, low cost insurance and no depreciation ,in fact they actually appreciate in value if well maintained.Having said all that I do not wish to go back even though my current van has no character at all.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
I am sat in my centrally heated office at home looking over the hills and yes its raining. You mean you travelled all that way at 12mpg for the same thing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sorry, only joshing

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
We are pitched on the Camping and Caravanning Club site on Skye . Its blowing a hooly with horizontal rain. There are two modern vw campervans a few yards from me both with tents beside them, one tents occupants are German and you could not stand up in their tent or van as it is not a lift top. They look absolutely miserable :Sad: while we sit roughing it watching tv with central heating and a freshly cooked hot meal and beverage. :Smile:
Is the economy really worth it, is it fun ? :Eeek:

We have owned three americans in the past and would still like to own one, but after one month of owning a van conversion we have no regrets to downsizing .

The economy is well worth it as in seven weeks time we will be down in Spain a saving of around £500 in fuel alone .:winky:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes camping is Fun, even when its raining. Some of the my most memorable camping trips are the ones where we got trashed by thunderstorms. Walk by any tent in the rain and if kids are inside you'll hear giggling. Great fun::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Camping is under canvass.

Yes camping is Fun, even when its raining. Some of the my most memorable camping trips are the ones where we got trashed by thunderstorms. Walk by any tent in the rain and if kids are inside you'll hear giggling. Great fun::bigsmile:

Yip... it is great fun.. we spent three weeks camping last (wet) summer on the west coast including Skye and it rained pretty much every day ..

Did we miss the RV .. ? Yes, for all the reasons given ... but no, we did a lot more walking and exploring places an RV just can't go, enjoyed not having a TV, central heating etc .. didn't even take the lappy .. we spent all of our time outdoors.. not cooped up watching the rain from the comfort of an armchair.. .. you can do that at home.

Camping is camping with a tent .. motorhoming is not camping..

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We also still walk and explore in the toad. Have covered much of the Cairngorms over the last couple of weeks, fabulous.
Its just nice to come home at night to a warm dry bed :Smile:

Perhaps I'm getting old !

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We also still walk and explore in the toad. Have covered much of the Cairngorms over the last couple of weeks, fabulous.
Its just nice to come home at night to a warm dry bed :Smile:

[HI]Perhaps I'm getting old[/HI] !

Me too ... getting up off an air bed aint easy at 60 ... you kinda roll out :roflmto:

I love all the comforts of an RV or caravan .. but I also enjoy the simple way of doing things .. cooking outside, sitting up late with a camp fire, telling stories and watching the stars is just sooo different ... camping will always have a special place in my heart .. :Cool:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Me too ... getting up off an air bed aint easy at 60 ... you kinda roll out

In the morning mate just keep pumping the bed up until it explodes and then you will pop up into a standing position :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back