Cumbrian_Georgie

Free Member
Jun 7, 2011
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
So far we have worked out or fudged our way around our MH. (I'm sure Pete will disagree and tell me it's natural expertise!)

So can someone please tell me about the vents on the outside, fridge ones I guess? They both have covers. Do you put the covers on at any point or leave them off?

Thanks.

Katie.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
The covers should only be used in the winter. Something to do with helping the heat exchange process. I am sure someone with greater knowledge will be along soon to explain all.

Lunarman

Upvote 0

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
They should be put on when it drops below a certain temperature , we don't put them on in summer only winter, it does say somewhere what temperature they should be used at, I will have a look but that's a good idea to put them on when washing the van

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I gather it is only recommended to cover the bottom vent in the winter. The top vent is often also used by the gas flue so should not be covered. If the gas flue is separate then its OK to cover it of course but not necessary. Don't use them in warm weather or your fridge will be very inefficient.

If you have been supplied with two covers the other may be for something else, in my case for the oven vent, which only needs to be on in the winter to stop some of the heat coming from the oven being lost to the outside world when you'd rather keep it inside.

Upvote 0

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I always removed them when the air temperature was above 10 degrees C :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
It would be better if you could provide some pictures as there is varies covers

Eg hot water vent cover, fit when not in use, remove when in use :thumb:

GR870121_lge.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cumbrian_Georgie

Cumbrian_Georgie

Free Member
Jun 7, 2011
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
It would be better if you could provide some pictures as there is varies covers

Eg hot water vent cover, fit when not in use, remove when in use :thumb:

GR870121_lge.jpg

Oooooh, thats complicated! That means going to the end of the garden.:roflmto:

They are located near the oven and the fridge area. I'm going to have to go now and take a piccie, I'm pleased it's not raining.

Link Removed

How quick was that, i'm impressed with myself.::bigsmile:

I did turn it round BEFORE i posted it, honestly gov.

Katie

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
These are fridge vent covers. According to the manual we have, they may be fitted when the outside temperature is below approx 10 deg C and should be fitted when the temperature is below zero. It is also recommended that they be fitted if the van is laid up over winter.

I normally leave them off between about March and October. There shouldn't be a problem with venting gas fumes as the upper cover doesn't fill the right hand side.

I also used to use them when washing the van with water but use Onedrywash now so not needed.

Attachments

• vents.jpg
    vents.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 17
Upvote 0

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
"It is also recommended that they be fitted if the van is laid up over winter."

Judging by the 1st set of photos, perhaps the van was "Laid Over" for the winter :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
So far we have worked out or fudged our way around our MH. (I'm sure Pete will disagree and tell me it's natural expertise!)

So can someone please tell me about the vents on the outside, fridge ones I guess? They both have covers. Do you put the covers on at any point or leave them off?

Thanks.

Katie.

On mine a RAPIDO... the Dealer/Agent said ! they were only to be used when the motorhome was in winter storage and not in use, or the motorhome was being washed........ they said on no account are they to be used when the fridge freezer is in use:Eeek:..the best and safest is to check with your Agent!!

Mel

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Fridge vent covers? never heard of them! Hmm, maybe I have something missing here.. :Doh:

David
You should have some David. They came with ours when we bought it.

On mine a RAPIDO... the Dealer/Agent said ! they were only to be used when the motorhome was in winter storage and not in use, or the motorhome was being washed........ they said on no account are they to be used when the fridge freezer is in use:Eeek:..the best and safest is to check with your Agent!!

Mel

I suppose it may depend which type of fridge you have. My earlier post quoted from the Dometic/Electrolux manual for our particular model.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back