Been a while but back with a Portugal warning (1 Viewer)

jacobus

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Longer than I care to remember
No we have not given up touring, just do not do as much as we did and spend more time in Portugal nowadays which brings me to the warning.

As from the end of August/start of September, the english language Portugal News 09/07/2011, informs us that all Motorways in Portugal will be Toll roads and to quote " foreign registered vehicles will be allowed to hire transponders, paying a deposit of €27 and a minimum payment of €50 (€77 total) that will be debited to the account associated with the transponder.Upon returning the transponder the owner of the foreign owned vehicle will be debited or credited in accordance with the number of occasions toll roads have been used."

Now an earlier report suggested that the transponder would have to be returned to wherever you hired it so if you came into the Country via Braganca in the north and planned to leave via the A22 on the south coast for Spain, think again.

Via Verde have launched a visitor scheme so tourists can rent a Transponder for 3 months from a Via Verde store (try finding one away from a major City)for up to 90 days so long as they have a valid debt or credit card.You will have to leave a deposit and pay €6 for the first week over and above Toll charges.

As Portugal has a bureaucracy culture which is frightening, just try and get your money back if you had some left on the unit.

Considering the hundreds of Motorhome and Caravan users that go to Portugal I think this is a case of shooting one's self in the foot. I appreciate most of us avoid Motorways like the plague, especially when you have to pay, but as this is also going to affect car rentals a further drop in tourists must be on the cards.

Portugal's loss will be Spain's gain. Jacobus

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
The AA informed the Big Pitch Guide about this last January - so Big Pitch guide Members have had it in the Guide since then:

• Temporary Electronic Toll Device (DEM) – Since the 15th October 2010 you are required to have a temporary automatic toll device for using certain motorways. The AA have been advised that these are the A4, A17, A25, A28, A29, A41 and A42 – This may be extended. The device must be pre-loaded with a minimum of €10. The device can be obtained from some motorway service stations, CTT which is the post company in Portugal and Via Verde shops, with a €27 deposit. When leaving Portugal the device must be returned to one of the selected outlets. The deposit paid for the device and any unused monies should be credited to you.

Dick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Why don't they just ask for cash and they will send you some post card and orange spray tan:roflmto::roflmto:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Saw these signs and gantries up by Porto in April and traveled blissfully along these sections of motorway in some ignorance, no doubt racking up quite a debt.

So far I've heard nowt, though I believe it uses number plate recognition.

Will I be going back to Portugal? I think not.

When they pay tolls on our motorways then I'll be happy to pay tolls on theirs.

Pete:Cool:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
They would have to pay tolls on our roads that charge them..
M6? Dartford Crossing? Etc etc.
We can choose to use their toll roads or avoid them. Dartford crossing a bit hard to avoid :ROFLMAO:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Dartford crossing a bit hard to avoid :ROFLMAO:

Oh no it isn't :ROFLMAO::Smile:

images

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
They would have to pay tolls on our roads that charge them..
M6? Dartford Crossing? Etc etc.
We can choose to use their toll roads or avoid them. Dartford crossing a bit hard to avoid :ROFLMAO:

Not quite the same thing Karl. I don't mind paying for tunnels and bridges built with private money to save having to leave a Motorway that is otherwise free.

The M6 toll is a choice as the M6 proper is toll free.

I do object to paying tolls on Motorways that are built with public money and in the case of Portugal EU money, that were previously toll free. I also noted that these motorways were in a poor state of repair and the only money being spent on them is to erect new gantries and toll signage. In my view this is just a rip off.

Pete:Cool:

PS Are you in Louth Karl?

PPS The Dartford crossing is only a Quid, and free after 10pm

OP
OP
J

jacobus

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Longer than I care to remember
Portugal Toll roads

I appreciate what the AA said but those toll roads were up north and started in October 2010 the new tolls covering the rest of Portugal start August/September 2011. A newbie to Portugal will have to FIND a CTT Post Office) or a Via Verde shop and as our local CTT lady behind the counter told us she neither has stocks of the electronic tag or info.:Doh:

We spend a lot of time off and on in Portugal and have met Portuguese drivers who dont know that they have no choice but to buy a tag, they still think it is voluntary.

With access to other European databases due shortly if you commit an offence in Portugal you will get a notification of the offence at your home address. Of course if you do not plan on going back again ???:winky:

The Campsite close to where we are staying was only one third full over the winter and at the moment there is still plenty of spaces even as it approaches the main holiday time, not what we have seen in past years when you were practically fighting for somewhere to pitch up. Jacobus

Unfortunately the Portuguese Government is not to good at communication so confusion reigns. Jacobus.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Does this mean that there will be less motorhomers in Portugal?

All the more room for me then!

I drove through some newly tolled roads around Porto in March this year in a UK registered van and saw the signs. When I got back to the office I got one of our people to contact the authorities and ask how I should pay the toll... the answer was...

"Foreign registered? I wouldn't bother if I was him...":Eeek: :thumb:

Now, it might be all different by August (yeah right) but besides this...

...If a democratic nation wants to start charging for it's motorways so be it... One doesn't have to use them... and if you prefer staying in Spain :)Eeek:) fair enough. (They charge for some of their motorways too :Doh:)

It seems to me that if people are put off visiting a country because some of the roads (which they don't have to use) are toll ones they couldn't have been very interested in that country in the first place.

France has been charging for some of it's motorways for decades...

... or to put it another, more modern way, "What is the problem?"

JJ :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back