Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I made a passing mention in a previous post to a campsite near Glasgow we went to the other night. I'm going to name it now. It was Pannel Farm at Bridge of Weir. We booked in advance for two nights because we were going to a nearby family party.
We only stayed for one night because it isn't really a caravan site at all. It is a storage yard on rough hard standing with no marked out pitching spots. There is no attractive view just a bunch of old caravans and some broken down cars and farm machinery. Two reasonable showers and toilets but the floors flood so if you follow someone else in you have to paddle.
Teenagers on a quad bike kept us awake until all hours and we literally felt like we'd landed in some kind of surreal experience. We had to dig round amongst uncut grass to find a tap to fill up and there was nowhere visible to dump waste or empty a chemical loo.
I decided to email the owner as we didn't see anyone to pay when we left and I thought I should be honest about why we didn't go back. I told her exactly what I have put here and said I would send a cheque for the one night.
To be absolute amazement she has cheerfully told me that it is £20 per night for two people!
I'm stunned... and disgusted.
Don't go there folks. You can say over for free at Castle Semple visitor centre. No facilities until the cafe opens but it's pretty. (We only discovered this when we moved on to have breakfast, the other place being so dreadful we couldn't bear to stay a minute longer.)

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Presumably the price was not advertised and nobody tried to collect it.

Is the £20 just an "invitation" to pay that amount. Email her back and offer £5 if thats what you think its worth.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Presumably the price was not advertised and nobody tried to collect it.

Is the £20 just an "invitation" to pay that amount. Email her back and offer £5 if thats what you think its worth.

Quite right she will have a hell of a job getting any more out of you, as you have not refused to pay and dispute the rest, I very much doubt you will hear from them again.

All the best Rick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
You can say over for free at Castle Semple visitor centre. No facilities until the cafe opens but it's pretty.

This is in my home village.. Lochwinnoch, .. all my family came from here .. :Smile:
as a boy I played by and on the loch ... long before the car park and visitor centre made it popular.

you can also park at the Muirsheil County Park in the layby just by the entrance.. but be aware, the road up to it is single track with passing places.. but it is well worth a visit

sorry to hear about the crap site at BoW .. :Sad:

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
It only takes me and smudger 5mins to get a site looking like that you want to see the faces on the other campers put we do book on as mick and paddy:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Bad places should be named and shamed.
So thanks for saving the rest of us .

As for payment........send them what you think it was worth :Smile:
certainly not what they were asking.

barry

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I will send them £10 as this is what I originally planned to do and that is more than generous for what it was.
The other people on the site (only 2 as far as we could make out) were obviously men working in the local area. Their caravans were in amongst the stored ones with about 30 cm space between them. At first we thought we were the only living souls there so it felt a bit unsafe. :Eeek: It's no surprise that they don't get many takers at £10 per person per night for an old oily farm yard.
The up side is discovering the parking at Castle Semple. Two German vans were on there when we arrived at 8.30 a.m. and the person who was going round sweeping up gave us a cheery wave. What a relief to eat our breakfast with something lovely to look at and some cheery faces around.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Mags,not paying them becomes a civil matter :thumb:and I cannot see them bothering as it will cost them more to pursue you.
I did this a few yrs back when we went out for a meal (highly recommended restaurant) To cut a long story short they presented me with a bill for £55 and I paid them £20 - they called police- I provided them with my name and address - confirmed by police- I said the meal and service was crap (which it was)and in my opinion twenty quid was all it was worth,take it or leave it :Eeek:They refused it so I put it back in my wallet :ROFLMAO:After words with the owner and police I told them about the service / meal and offered the £20 again as I thought this would cover the cost of our drinks and the so called food at cost.:Eeek:They accepted the £20 and apologized :thumb:
The coppers had a word with me outside asking was it really that bad :Eeek: then sent me on my way :ROFLMAO:
terry

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Hi Mags,not paying them becomes a civil matter :thumb:and I cannot see them bothering as it will cost them more to pursue you.
I did this a few yrs back when we went out for a meal (highly recommended restaurant) To cut a long story short they presented me with a bill for £55 and I paid them £20 - they called police- I provided them with my name and address - confirmed by police- I said the meal and service was crap (which it was)and in my opinion twenty quid was all it was worth,take it or leave it :Eeek:They refused it so I put it back in my wallet :ROFLMAO:After words with the owner and police I told them about the service / meal and offered the £20 again as I thought this would cover the cost of our drinks and the so called food at cost.:Eeek:They accepted the £20 and apologized :thumb:
The coppers had a word with me outside asking was it really that bad :Eeek: then sent me on my way :ROFLMAO:
terry

Blimey negotiating in Mc Donalds:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I hope the site isn't in any organisations guides.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back