Ireland in the rain - we loved it!! (1 Viewer)

Cupcake

Free Member
Apr 13, 2010
Norfolk Broads
Funster No
Exp
since July 2009
:thumb::thumb:Well here we are back home from Ireland (well been back for nearly a week) :Sad:

Ireland South, East, North & West even in the rain is fantastic. The sites may not all be up to the standard that we get from most sites here but the friendly people, the fab scenery & the many places to visit more than make up for any negatives....... we shall be returning as soon as we can :thumb:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I would love to visit but why should I pay £300 (CC) for a ferry when I can go to France for £90 return? pfffft :Angry:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I am told the cost of living in Ireland is high as well, is this the case?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

Cupcake

Free Member
Apr 13, 2010
Norfolk Broads
Funster No
Exp
since July 2009
I would love to visit but why should I pay £300 (CC) for a ferry when I can go to France for £90 return? pfffft :Angry:

We used Tesco vouchers for the ferry cost (as did many others we spoke too) did speak to some who paid £180 who like us went Pembroke-Rosslare. This was for us our 'big holiday' in a year when we have birthdays & the anniversary ending in 0! :party2:

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
AM of to Ireland soon for 2week and will meet up with smudger hue will show us the top spots to go plus wild camping then he will come back with us to shepton mallet

OP
OP
C

Cupcake

Free Member
Apr 13, 2010
Norfolk Broads
Funster No
Exp
since July 2009
:thumb::thumb:Well here we are back home from Ireland (well been back for nearly a week) :Sad:

Ireland South, East, North & West even in the rain is fantastic. The sites may not all be up to the standard that we get from most sites here but the friendly people, the fab scenery & the many places to visit more than make up for any negatives....... we shall be returning as soon as we can :thumb:

Oops forgot to mention the Guinness!!! Why does it taste better in Ireland??

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I would love to visit Ireland, rain and all, but as already mentioned, the ferry is just too expensive. It's as they say.. a deal breaker.. Which is a shame, I'm sure Eire could do with the tourist money.. but it won't be mine.

OP
OP
C

Cupcake

Free Member
Apr 13, 2010
Norfolk Broads
Funster No
Exp
since July 2009
bloody hell just been told by doctor no beer wot so ever with the tablets hes put me on:cry::cry:

Oh no I feel your pain.....but I can reccommend some apple juice that was produced on a site that we stayed on (got a freebie given on arrival) & it was so good bought a few more bottles :thumb:

OP
OP
C

Cupcake

Free Member
Apr 13, 2010
Norfolk Broads
Funster No
Exp
since July 2009
I would love to visit Ireland, rain and all, but as already mentioned, the ferry is just too expensive. It's as they say.. a deal breaker.. Which is a shame, I'm sure Eire could do with the tourist money.. but it won't be mine.

It is a shame that the cost of the ferry stops so many people visiting such a great country & people. We were lucky I was able to cover the full ferry cost using Tesco points vouchers. As you say they can do with the tourist money. Whilst we were there the main touristy places were fairly busy but off the beaten track we could travel for up to 30 minutes without passing another vechicle it was so quiet.

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Oops forgot to mention the Guinness!!! Why does it taste better in Ireland??

Because there are 8 different types of Guinness, English Guinness is not the same as Irish Guinness as its brewed to an English taste (so they reckon). You can buy Guinness in Jamaica that is 8% proof, as their culture is to drink one pint with their meal.

Same as English Carlsberg is is different, I hate the Northhampton stuff but love the Irish Carslberg.

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp

Yeah it's ridiculous!! every time we visit the mainland it costs us a fortune, there are a few ways to get it a lot lower but still expensive.

I have posted on these forums a few times how to get it lower, if anyone else wants to know I can post again?

We also get charged extra for flights but MP's here are now trying to get that reduced, (25% tax added by the British Government to come here) I am going to email a few of them while they are in that frame of mind about ferry crossings!

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Howie says he thinks the reason why the Guinness is so good in Ireland and different to what you get here in the UK is its not pasturised which it has to be to be exported.:drink:

Glad you had a great trip. Was the place that you got the free apple juice near Clonmel and called "the apple"? It looks a really good site but they dont take dogs:cry:

We are off in three weeks time for three weeks of meandering around Ireland and I have been searching the posts for information I saw a few weeks ago about the irish equivalent of the nightstop scheme. Can anybody point us in the right direction please?

Kath & Howie

OP
OP
C

Cupcake

Free Member
Apr 13, 2010
Norfolk Broads
Funster No
Exp
since July 2009
Glad you had a great trip. Was the place that you got the free apple juice near Clonmel and called "the apple"? It looks a really good site but they dont take dogs:cry:

Yes it was, one of the best sites we stayed on whilst in Ireland.
Enjoy your trip you will certainly meander!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back