Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Ive been using my Tomtom XXL for a few weeks and have used it on routes that I know as well as those I dont ( useful for speed cameras as well )

I like the XXL its big screen and seems to be loaded with a lot of european maps
and some poi's I have added.

The thing is ..at times even though I select the "fastest" as opposed to the "shortest" route he still wants to take me up small roads.........where I know in some cases I would be better off keeping on the main road.

Are there any tricks in the preferences to help him keep things simple ?

barry

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The problem with any sat nav device is the same as with any computer system, accuracy of data.

In a sat nav, the software relies on mapping where distances are not necessarily accurate and where the speed which can be practically achieved is only theoretical, based on the limits for the type of road.

On top of that the fastest route worked out has only to be 1 second faster than the second and it will be presented first.

A sat nav is like any other computer, it is merely a tool and, like any tool, will never be as good as the human brain has to be used within its limitations.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I love my TomTom... I have one which is connected to the internet when needed for real time traffic updates etc... As I learn more about what it can do and how to do it it gets better and better BUT...

I never follow its instructions blindly without consideration... if it wants me to go down a little road... I ignore it...

TOMTOM ROOLS

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I love my TomTom... I have one which is connected to the internet when needed for real time traffic updates etc... As I learn more about what it can do and how to do it it gets better and better BUT...

I never follow its instructions blindly without consideration... if it wants me to go down a little road... I ignore it...

TOMTOM ROOLS

JJ :Cool:

I agree with you and in the uk...I can make judgement calls

I tend to use in in conjunction with a map...but in france for instance
your destination might just be down a little road

I like my tomtom very much but at times its as if he is trying to wind me up :)

barry

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Had the same problem in France with my Garmin - as soon as I set "no tolls" it just heads as close to a straight line as possible to the destination, roads that two vehicles of MH size had to really slow down and pull over to pass safely.

I had to over-ride it many times, found it best to use the atlas to keep to N routes between major towns - much more comfortable driving and actually better average speeds (and probably consumption).

Satnav is great but will never replace paper maps (and a bit of common sense).

Steve

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I like my tomtom very much but at times its as if he is trying to wind me up

barry

I think I have spotted a possible problem Barry... switch your voice to "Jane"... she never lets me down...:ROFLMAO:

JJ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
TomTom, like all GPS, calculate routes on distance and speed.

the national speed limit on A and B roads is 60mph therefore, 120miles will take 2 hours......or so TomTom thinks, but we know it doesnt :RollEyes:

60mph on a single lane B road :Doh:(or even many A roads)

but TomTom doesnt know or care...it just calculates the time needed, distance divided by speed, and finds a suitable (time wise) route.

mine tried to send me down a single track in wales, a steep decent and the junction was on the right pulling back on itself .....a very tight hairpin....even if i could get round the hairpin, the lane wasnt wide enough for me. (6' 6" max)

two miles further on the main road and i saw the other end of the lane....to TomToms route planner program that was an unneccesary two miles and, in its own tiny mind, added two minutes to my journey.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back