newbie looking for folk who've been to germany, austria & switzerland! (1 Viewer)

karenbrock

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
south cumbria
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
2 years
Hello all

New to the site but been motorhoming for couple of years now with my husband and 7yr old son.
travelled for the 6 week holiday last year through the pyranees, across the south of france, up the verdon gorge, through the alpes, paris and then home! fantasic experience and so addictive!
we have booked our trip this year - 3 weeks only - through belgium (want to visit bruges) and onto germany to travel down the rhine, through black forest, into switzerland, on to austria and than back home for a week unplanned as yet!
anyone with any helpful hints, tips or stays greatfully received!
many thanks
karen

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Hello all

New to the site but been motorhoming for couple of years now with my husband and 7yr old son.
travelled for the 6 week holiday last year through the pyranees, across the south of france, up the verdon gorge, through the alpes, paris and then home! fantasic experience and so addictive!
we have booked our trip this year - 3 weeks only - through belgium (want to visit bruges) and onto germany to travel down the rhine, through black forest, into switzerland, on to austria and than back home for a week unplanned as yet!
anyone with any helpful hints, tips or stays greatfully received!
many thanks
karen

Hi there!
Thanks for your email to us, unfortunately I couldn't get into it on the forum [must be doing something wrong] but I read it via my msn email. We are currently touring Europe as I said in my post but mainly Germany. Currently we are in Wolfenbuttel, just below Braunschweig, and its lovely. We also are using the BordAtlas for the stellplatze and we have found many of them which are brillant. We used them for the first time when we did the Mosel and Rhein last year. Since coming abroad on 6 June we have only spent €9 on sites in total and it is now 8 July!

What sort of sites do you prefer? Quiet, rural ones or those with all facilities and more touristy? We prefer the former and its often those that are kostenlos [free] or cheap and they are still lovely.

We can't advise on Austria or Switzerland as we haven't been there yet.
We will be in Berlin next week.

Welcome to the site. We're very new too.

Caroline & Paul :Smile: :Smile:

Oldroadies

Free Member
Jun 21, 2009
Channel Islands
Funster No
MH
Coach built Autocruise
Exp
6 + 20 caravaning
Hello & Happy Touring
We did the Italian lakes and Black Forest last year, two places in the Black Forest we would recommend were Schiltach, the ultimate picture postcard Black Forest villiage, free Steltplatz with water on edge of town, also the Steltplatz on the outskirts of Baden-Baden (no water so top up before u arrive); we're not normally city folk, but it was ideal for walking (or cycling) into Baden-Baden on purpose built pathways off the main road, it was about a 20min walk. The town was beautiful and well worth a visit, we found the Germans extremely friendly and helpful - probably more so than the French (and we've got French blood in us!)
Enjoy your tour :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We went down the Rhine last year, it was so hot, we were heading for an aire at Bacarach, but stumbled on a little site next to a marina, about 8 euros a night at St Goar, takes about 6 to 8 campers, ehu extra and little bar at the marina, it was beautifl watching the barges going up and down the Rhine, a nice little town we biked to was Boppard, plenty of boat cruises there and nice town with shops and eat places.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
One piece of advice from me - as the other have covered most of it.

Buy your fuel OUTSIDE Austria!! (Gets a little pricey there!):thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Must visits:

St Goar
Boppard
Use Link Removed for both, take a Rhein boat to Boppard.

Rhein Fall
A cheap aire on the Swiss side. Make sure you have about 20 Swiss francs for the ticket machine.
http://rhinefalls.com/

Anywhere in Switzerland. Views only the Swiss can manage.

You can't fail to have a good time.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Haven't been to germany or Austra but have been to Bruges, make sure you all have a pair of thick-soled really comfy shoes - cobbles! LOL

Lovely town, eating out terribly expensive though ......

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi we have drove through Germany twice now and think it is a lovely country 3 years ago we stayed in the black forest area for 4 nights in Herbolzhiem lovely wee town and only 4k from theme park at rust which you can use tesco vouchers for.

Last summer we headed for Lake Garda and just really stopped over in Germany using the stellplatz book which was very good, we went through Austria and one site i can recommend that your son will love is Nattersee just outside Innsbruck the shower block above the reception is awesome for kids has thunder and lighting effect in showers and there is a bus service to Innsbruck which has loads to see and do.

If your passing Stuggart then go into the Mercedes museum you will all love it we spent a full day there last year and if on the top floor look across to the factory roof you will see them test driving cars on the roof.

Gerry

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
One piece of advice from me - as the other have covered most of it.

Buy your fuel OUTSIDE Austria!! (Gets a little pricey there!):thumb:

we have always found diesel cheaper in austria than germany. dont forget your vignette for austria or if you are over 3500kg your go box, we love austria and head to the tyrol every year and have done since 2007, you will find both in austria and germany you will be made welcome and make good use of the stellplaz system as ststed earlier some are very good and cheap, enjoy your trip.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Definitely buy the bordatlas from Vicarious books, with all the stellplatz. Stellplatz are usually excellent, like the french Aires but better.

We came through Austria about 3 weeks ago on the way back from Italy and fuel was cheaper in Austria than either Italy or Germany.

You do not need the vignette in Austria if you stay off motorways, We came on a route from Italy, into Germany through the Fern pass, very attractive and toll free! We were told about this route by some Dutch people. But be careful becuase in some parts of Austria it is hard to stay off motorways.

We were in Switzerland about 5 years ago, in Lauterbrunnen. Recomend the train pass if you go there, the trains are wonderful. Go up the Jungfrau by train, wonderful views.

Have a great time.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
We went down the Rhine last year, it was so hot, we were heading for an aire at Bacarach, but stumbled on a little site next to a marina, about 8 euros a night at St Goar, takes about 6 to 8 campers, ehu extra and little bar at the marina, it was beautifl watching the barges going up and down the Rhine, a nice little town we biked to was Boppard, plenty of boat cruises there and nice town with shops and eat places.

Silly question did they take [STRIKE]caravans
[/STRIKE]

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
[/STRIKE]

Not silly John,..

I've used plenty of Stelplatz with the RV but can't recall seeing caravans on them.. but that's not to say you can't.
As I may have a caravan soon it is of interest to me also so I have emailed the Bordatlas for a definitive answer ... will post the reply

OP
OP
K

karenbrock

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
south cumbria
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
2 years
bordatlas

Hi there!
Thanks for your email to us, unfortunately I couldn't get into it on the forum [must be doing something wrong] but I read it via my msn email. We are currently touring Europe as I said in my post but mainly Germany. Currently we are in Wolfenbuttel, just below Braunschweig, and its lovely. We also are using the BordAtlas for the stellplatze and we have found many of them which are brillant. We used them for the first time when we did the Mosel and Rhein last year. Since coming abroad on 6 June we have only spent €9 on sites in total and it is now 8 July!

What sort of sites do you prefer? Quiet, rural ones or those with all facilities and more touristy? We prefer the former and its often those that are kostenlos [free] or cheap and they are still lovely.

We can't advise on Austria or Switzerland as we haven't been there yet.
We will be in Berlin next week.

Welcome to the site. We're very new too.

Caroline & Paul :Smile: :Smile:
thanks guys - we are heading into dusseldorf area (depends on road from belgium!) and hope to travel down the rhine from thereabouts to the black forest. we pruchased the bordatlas too from vicarious books - loads of stalplatz! have you been on any from that book on the route we wish to take?
karen x

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
thanks guys - we are heading into dusseldorf area (depends on road from belgium!) and hope to travel down the rhine from thereabouts to the black forest. [HI]we pruchased the bordatlas too from vicarious books - loads of stalplatz![/HI] have you been on any from that book on the route we wish to take?
karen x

also get the POIs for you GPS and download mobile version (if you have one ) for your smart phone..

Link Removed

OP
OP
K

karenbrock

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
south cumbria
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
2 years
baden baden

Hello & Happy Touring
We did the Italian lakes and Black Forest last year, two places in the Black Forest we would recommend were Schiltach, the ultimate picture postcard Black Forest villiage, free Steltplatz with water on edge of town, also the Steltplatz on the outskirts of Baden-Baden (no water so top up before u arrive); we're not normally city folk, but it was ideal for walking (or cycling) into Baden-Baden on purpose built pathways off the main road, it was about a 20min walk. The town was beautiful and well worth a visit, we found the Germans extremely friendly and helpful - probably more so than the French (and we've got French blood in us!)
Enjoy your tour :Smile:
wow - thats fantasic, thank you very much! Both of those sites are on our route down the rhine and think they will be on our visit list!!
its amazing the response I have had from just one post! what a fantastic bunch you are ::bigsmile:
karen x

OP
OP
K

karenbrock

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
south cumbria
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
2 years
black forest

bob, val & tody

thanks for your info - looks like st goar will be on our route this year too!
any other recommendations please do share ::bigsmile:
karen x

OP
OP
K

karenbrock

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
south cumbria
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
2 years
switzerland & rhine

Must visits:

St Goar
Boppard
Use Link Removed for both, take a Rhein boat to Boppard.

Rhein Fall
A cheap aire on the Swiss side. Make sure you have about 20 Swiss francs for the ticket machine.
http://rhinefalls.com/

Anywhere in Switzerland. Views only the Swiss can manage.

You can't fail to have a good time.
Brian

thanks for that - the first site looks stunning - have you stayed there and what cost is it?
will try that aire as we have a night unaccounted for between the black forest and switzerland. thank you ::bigsmile:
karen x

OP
OP
K

karenbrock

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
south cumbria
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
2 years
vignette

we have always found diesel cheaper in austria than germany. dont forget your vignette for austria or if you are over 3500kg your go box, we love austria and head to the tyrol every year and have done since 2007, you will find both in austria and germany you will be made welcome and make good use of the stellplaz system as ststed earlier some are very good and cheap, enjoy your trip.

i have read a bit about the vignette - are they at most garages? and are they about 30 euros? only in austria and switzerland for about 3 days each think I'll need to go back already!
karen x

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
i have read a bit about the vignette - are they at most garages? and are they about 30 euros? only in austria and switzerland for about 3 days each think I'll need to go back already!
karen x

vignette were 7.70 euro last year and you can get them before you cross the border at the services or at any garage in austria, the swiss one is about £25 i think ive only been there the once and forgot to pay theres:Blush:

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
[/STRIKE]

Hi John
Can't see there being a problem at the little site we went on at the marina at St Goar.
Not a stellaplatz, there was a site a few miles along the road towards Bacarach, right on the Rhine with beautiful views

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back