Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A - Class versus Coachbuilt, I think I have that right?

What would the main advantages of A-Class over coachbuilt be? assuming there are any?

The way I see it, A-Class is the ones that look like it was born a motorhome and coachbuilt look like someone stuck a motorhome on the back of a van, no offence to any type, just how I described it to wifey :)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
A - Class versus Coachbuilt, I think I have that right?

What would the main advantages of A-Class over coachbuilt be? assuming there are any?

The way I see it, A-Class is the ones that look like it was born a motorhome and coachbuilt look like someone stuck a motorhome on the back of a van, no offence to any type, just how I described it to wifey :)

"A".."B".."C".... all are of a similar build,,,, I think..

Just body design is different..

"A" Class similar to a coach/bus.
"B" Class not so high and seem to be a bit narrower. Cab part normally narrower than the body..
"C" Class much the same as B class, but with the added advantage of usually having a bed over the cab part..

Now some one prove me wrong.. :ROFLMAO:

Mine in my avatar is a "B" Class. no bed over cab, just TV/Cupboards & Cocktail Cabinet`s..

Last edited:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I think B Class is a Yank category.

As far as I know, A Class is fully integrated, as in, the body does does not use the original donor cab. C class is a semi-integrated where the donor cab is used and the conversion body is fastened to it.

Overcab and lowprofile is normally used to indicate if a C class has a bed over the cab or not.

There is also the conversion category, but we wont go into that.

Pete:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cumbrian_Georgie

Free Member
Jun 7, 2011
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
At the moment we have a C Class, they seem to suit our needs with room and seatbelts for the kids in the dinette.:thumb:

We'd LIKE an A class as we both think they look nicer/posher etc!:winky:

As it goes we just feel very lucky to have a motorhome.::bigsmile:

Katie.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The little Hobo is corect
B class is an American version of the Euro C lass
To simplify
American A class Large bus fronted RV
American B class still a large vehicle but with a drivers cab
Euro A class various sized bus fronted coach built
Euro C class various sized coach built with driver cab, with and without over head cab beds
Having wend bothEuro C class with over cab bed
and now American A class
only an A class of either variaty would fit the bill
Much more roominess in any A class:thumb:
Geo

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have an A-class which I particularly wanted. They have a few advantages;

1. Interior feels more roomy for the same length due to the wider 'cab' area. The space largely consists of the enormous top to the dashboard and so is something of an illusion in terms of actual usable space.

2. No steel bodywork to rust - important if you plan to keep it for a long time as I do.

3. Drop down bed in the front is more spacious with more headroom than an overcab bed, and is lower to climb into. That said we don't actually use ours except for bedding storage as we use the fixed rear bed at low level.

Disadvantage is principally that they cost more, however I think they look nicer, but that's just my opinion.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
whether European or American, they mean the same.

'A' class starts life as a bare chassis only, onto which is built a full body.

'B' class is basically a panel van which is converted inside only, except for awnings, tv aerial etc.

'C' class starts life as a bare chassis and van cab, onto which is built a body on the rear chassis and integrated with the cab.

full explanation of american motorhome types Link Removed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Spot on. 'A' class a bit more room but spares, like £3000 for a windscreen, expensive and harder to get. Also more difficult to service.

walter senior

Free Member
Jan 7, 2011
forgue aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
a clas iveco 29ft
Exp
A class

Spot on. 'A' class a bit more room but spares, like £3000 for a windscreen, expensive and harder to get. Also more difficult to service.
:thumb::thumb: hilldwellwer is right i have a . Aclass and thay are more expensive to run had to have a new windscreen last year cost £2,600 told the wife hadto give her brandy to bring her round. service his more expensive. i am lucky as i have a big garage with a full length pit so i can do my own. so if any one is up hear and needs to use a pitt and garage you know were their is one.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:. regards. Walter.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
:thumb::thumb: hilldwellwer is right i have a . Aclass and thay are more expensive to run had to have a new windscreen last year cost £2,600 told the wife hadto give her brandy to bring her round. service his more expensive. i am lucky as i have a big garage with a full length pit so i can do my own. so if any one is up hear and needs to use a pitt and garage you know were their is one.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:. regards. Walter.:thumb::thumb::thumb:
thanks for the offer Walter......king pins and prop shaft spiders need greasing so i'll just nip up tomorrow :ROFLMAO:

seriously though, very kind offer :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back