Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Still searching for a motorhome..

Seen some very reasonably priced ones in Southern Ireland, most seem to be LHD, I know some of the pitfalls....

Can't overtake very well, hard to look right at junctions... but how long to get used to driving on the wrong side of the vehicle? I suppose they devalue quicker, but hard to ignore when they are so much cheaper, for the same money I can get one about 5-6 years younger.

Thanks

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I actively looked for lhd for my first two vans.. Much better prices as you say, and in all honesty it makes very little difference

One thing to remember.. we are talking motorhome here.. Just what do you expect to be over taking ! ? :winky:

Of course the BIGGY for me was the fact we spend a lot of time on the continent

Now, it is easy to drive a LHD motor in the UK as it is our home ground so to speak.. takes all of 5 minutes to get the hang of it

But driving abroad, having a LHD is an absolute godsend ! You are in an alien environment yet have the advantage of tackling it with the correct gear ( so to speak )

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Having a LHD yank I would say..as expected

Owning a LHD yank now and for over 20 years (including cars and day vans etc.,) I can say that I have never had an issue with them. I have excellent mirrors and a back up camera.. plus a sighn on the back saying it is LHD.. but do I have a problem? no. I do not overtake often other than on a motorway in the middle lane.. with the trailer on the back I am 45'long. I come in just about 8 tons with the trailer loaded.

I drive the RV as if I am a truck... I think about every move carefully, I think it is a mind set thing and once you owned one it will soon become second nature. Also a bonus in Europe.

Have a look at some of the second hand small yanks also.. great value.. in fact if you look at the first of the links at the bottom of this page you can see my Winnebago at 23'9"..give you some idea..

Bob:whatthe:

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Are there any issues with it being an obvious import, insurance? repairs etc?

Never had any issues with ours. Obviously, some parts are 'side specific' but base vehicles are made by international operators.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I'm on my 3rd LHD MH and would never go back to RHD
(a) because I spend 6months or more each year over the water and
(b) because it's great on narrow country roads as you can tuck right into the road edge as it's on the drivers side of the van.
I believe that's why the Irish go for LHD a lot as most of their roads are very narrow.

Pete:Cool:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Only thing I have found with LHD in UK is that I tend to 'drift' slightly out from the kerb when driving. (Not too far!)

Peter

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I endorse everything Jaws said:thumb:

Bob, convince me why should deface my van with a LHD sticker

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
as Peter says in his post

I endorse everything Jaws said:thumb:

Bob, convince me why should deface my van with a LHD sticker

Jim as Peter says in his Johns Cross Post.. the left hand drive ...and you should know having one.. we tend to take a wider left hand turn and as such I want the idot car behind me to know that I may now have him in my full view to being on the left side of the cab. I have had cars try and push down both the right and left sides of me.. In fact I have added extra repeater indicators for that reason.. I hope that the sign and it is not that big may send a message to the car.

No different Jim to lorries saying if you cannot see my mirrors I cannot see you. Or the long vehicle sign on trucks red outside yellow inside no words.. it sends a message of warning... any message of warning is worth having in my books.

Happy Jim?

Bob:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Jim as Peter says in his Johns Cross Post.. the left hand drive ...and you should know having one.. we tend to take a wider left hand turn and as such I want the idot car behind me to know that I may now have him in my full view to being on the left side of the cab. I have had cars try and push down both the right and left sides of me.. In fact I have added extra repeater indicators for that reason.. I hope that the sign and it is not that big may send a message to the car.

No different Jim to lorries saying if you cannot see my mirrors I cannot see you. Or the long vehicle sign on trucks red outside yellow inside no words.. it sends a message of warning... any message of warning is worth having in my books.

Happy Jim?

No not really. If I thought it made a ha'peth of difference I would use one. In fact, encouraging people to read stuff on your vehicle probably makes them less aware of their surroundings and more dangerous.

As for wider left turns, I disagree, doesn't make mine wider, makes them tighter:Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
and another one i have upset today

No not really. If I thought it made a ha'peth of difference I would use one. In fact, encouraging people to read stuff on your vehicle probably makes them less aware of their surroundings and more dangerous.

As for wider left turns, I disagree, doesn't make mine wider, makes them tighter:Smile:

I am doing well, up set another one today... what with here and RVOC I am doing well..

Oh well dinner time.. now that is more interesting:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Ok the hard sell

Love some of the yank ones, but the size of some of those engines I can hear my wallet squealing in fright!

As you will have seen from the fist link at the bottom of my post you can see a small Winnebago Aspect .. 23'9" long all up weight is 5.5 tons 9'11"on the edge of the wing mirrors. It has a slide out so has extra on board room when parked up.

Yes it has a big V10 6.8 ltr petrol engine.. 5 speed auto gearbox. Everything is power.. cruise control... air conditioned cab and a roof air con in the living area. this babu is on the Ford Super Duty E350 chassis (same as use on US Ambulances).. so what doe sit do to the gallon????? 13 ish But considering it was 4 years old and had done less than 8,000 miles when we got it £28k is cheap.. a lot of fuel can be purchased compared to a UK/Europe motorhome. But it is what you get for your money in a yank.

Mine as you can see is a B class we do not have the over cab bed..but an entertainment centre.. I have a 26"domestic tv and a separate DVD .. we have added a dome satellite system. How do we power the TV? we have a 4kw Onan generator built in ... standard on a yank.. we also have a 1500 watt Sterling Invertor..so we can power most things from the batteries.

Insurance fully comp insured for £30k with Safeguard including unlimited recovery from Europe is £560 .. but I have been quoted around £320 by C&CC.. but wanted the better recovery available on Safeguard.

It is what an RV has over a European motorhome... full size fridge and a separate freezer.. a big rear bathroom..4 berths. The list is endless.. what it does not have... cheap to run.. but we carry all our water onboard..we have a grey and a black waste water system on board and we have a large LPG tank for the heating, cooking and the fridge when not running on the mains.

Is it easy to drive yes.. you soon get use to the size...

When at a show, ask an RV owner to have a look.. we will be at Malvern, Shepton and Lincoln this year.

If you want more info do p.m. me direct. oh yes spare parts are normally off the shelf in the UK or are here in a matter of days...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
cant see a problem overtaking......you can see a lot further than the car driver in front of you can.....unless theres nowt in front of him/her :Doh:

takes me about 10 mins to get back in the habit of keeping tight left when out in the RV...but as peter said...you do tend to wander to the right if you dont concentrate.
not a problem for me as shirl, being sat on the right, screams blue murder when i do :Eeek:
they dont call it the suicide seat for nothing you know :roflmto:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yes Sue does the same

cant see a problem overtaking......you can see a lot further than the car driver in front of you can.....unless theres nowt in front of him/her :Doh:

takes me about 10 mins to get back in the habit of keeping tight left when out in the RV...but as peter said...you do tend to wander to the right if you dont concentrate.
not a problem for me as shirl, being sat on the right, screams blue murder when i do :Eeek:
they dont call it the suicide seat for nothing you know :roflmto:

Sue does the same.. but the hardest part o a B class is the body is wider in the habitation area than the cab.. a good 8"each side plus part of the mirrors.. you have to allow for this a C & B class do not have wide track at the front so you have to keep looking at the mirrors to make sure the rear of the RV is just enough out fromt he curb.

But you soon get used to it .. but you would not go back in my view to a european once you have had a yank.. I know Jim would not agree as he has gone from an A class to a Hymer:cry: (and yes Jim dinner was good.. bangers and mash).

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I have a yank, 31ft long, slide out, all the bells and whistles, 12 mpg, would i change it for a eurobox? Never!
I paid less than a same year Hymer 644, and boy do i love it?
It wants for nothing, it is sumptuous, roomy, and a joy to drive.
It's thirsty, but, i don't go to work and back in it ever day.
It is pure comfort.
If you want a FIAT, great, Merc, great, Renault, great. I don't, i love what i have, and i have what i love.

Craig

OP
OP
Douzeper

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As you will have seen from the fist link at the bottom of my post you can see a small Winnebago Aspect .. 23'9" long all up weight is 5.5 tons 9'11"on the edge of the wing mirrors. It has a slide out so has extra on board room when parked up.

Yes it has a big V10 6.8 ltr petrol engine.. 5 speed auto gearbox. Everything is power.. cruise control... air conditioned cab and a roof air con in the living area. this babu is on the Ford Super Duty E350 chassis (same as use on US Ambulances).. so what doe sit do to the gallon????? 13 ish But considering it was 4 years old and had done less than 8,000 miles when we got it £28k is cheap.. a lot of fuel can be purchased compared to a UK/Europe motorhome. But it is what you get for your money in a yank.

Mine as you can see is a B class we do not have the over cab bed..but an entertainment centre.. I have a 26"domestic tv and a separate DVD .. we have added a dome satellite system. How do we power the TV? we have a 4kw Onan generator built in ... standard on a yank.. we also have a 1500 watt Sterling Invertor..so we can power most things from the batteries.

Insurance fully comp insured for £30k with Safeguard including unlimited recovery from Europe is £560 .. but I have been quoted around £320 by C&CC.. but wanted the better recovery available on Safeguard.

It is what an RV has over a European motorhome... full size fridge and a separate freezer.. a big rear bathroom..4 berths. The list is endless.. what it does not have... cheap to run.. but we carry all our water onboard..we have a grey and a black waste water system on board and we have a large LPG tank for the heating, cooking and the fridge when not running on the mains.

Is it easy to drive yes.. you soon get use to the size...

When at a show, ask an RV owner to have a look.. we will be at Malvern, Shepton and Lincoln this year.

If you want more info do p.m. me direct. oh yes spare parts are normally off the shelf in the UK or are here in a matter of days...

Thanks!

Always loved them, in fact I was buying one in 2007 to live in but wifey said no, ended up with a Large mobile home(no planning permission, yet), I still give her grief about it!!

I'll take a closer look and see what there is about, and I might pester you soon as my son is going to buy one, he travels a lot but is in the one place for 6-8 months at a time and in his words "no point in me buying a house"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back