Free Member
Mar 16, 2008
Morley,Leeds up North
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit stealth van
Exp
since June 2006
We have been twice, great place, also went to berlin stayed at Potsdam. Colditz village has a cheap municipal campsite, you just pitch & the warden turns up about 5pm to take you money. Ehu on site about 110 mins walk to the castle. Guided tour well worth it. Next to the campsite is a village swimming pool.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
cpease ... that's really helpful thanks.

hayleylulu ... so would you not come to our funsters meet there when we arrange it?

hilldweller ... when he's had the bobbit where do you think I'm going to leave him! :ROFLMAO:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Serious answer - yes, very well worth a visit.

That said, I first went there on my way back from one of those aid convoys into the East just after the wall came down. The museum part was still in the private house of one of the former bosses, suffering from Alzheimers. We could have 'borrowed' anything, but it would have been sacrilege. Then, in the chapel, my team got the guards to look at something else - seriously - and I went under the chapel floor and into a surviving escape tunnel!!!

A year or three later, on a Monte, we had a supper break there, in the theatre. I knew Pat Reid, and he'd told me how he escaped. Once again, some mates distracted officialdom, I got under the stage and followed Pat's route to the trapdoor in the ceiling above a corridor in the German officer's quarters. I opened the trap door, but didn't drop down.

Wjen I re-appeared, I was told that any further attempt and I'd be shot!

Pat was a lovely man. One evening, at our house, he produced a cruciform key over the dinner table. It was like four Yale locks, in two pairs back to back to make a cross cross-section. He told us the Dutch had used a metre long stick with a bent pin in the end, and it tool three months to measure the internals of the lock by pushing this in and measuring the wiggles as they moved it into the lock and then carve the key from solid.

After dinner, I took him to his car. It was mid-winter, and he couldn't unlock it! So... I used a lighter, heated the key - score one for me!!

Hope you guys get there and enjoy it, even though I suppose it will now be a bit touristy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
That is very interesting "imprint", thanks for that.
As with everything, like you say, it will probably be really touristy now, but sadly everything goes that way now. It was just the same when we went to Anne Frank's house. Everyone wants to see these things! :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back