New Compact 'Battery Booster' pack (1 Viewer)

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
I presently have a rather large battery booster pack as a back up weighing 17kg :Sad:, see: Link Removed

I was informed that a new product was launched this week, I wonder of anyone with electrical knowledge could tell me if I am better of with the new one at only 800g :Eeek:
Link Removed

Thanks

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
There are so many inaccuracies in their sales blurb it might have been written by a FUNster.

If they can't do the documentation right then what chance the product ?

For instance: "Battery type: 7AH x 3 Lithium Polymer rechargeable
– 12v at total capacity 21,000mAh"

Total rubbish. You stack 3 batteries in series, the voltage increases NOT the Ah. Lithium is 4.2V per cell they claim 7Ah. So the stack is 7Ah at 12V NOT 21Ah. It could be 21Ah if in parallel as a 4.2V battery but it's not.

21Ah = 21,000mAh -- pure sales bullshit.

I have loads of LiPo batteries here, similar size to what might be in that unit and they are only 2.5Ah.

PS

Your existing unit says 38Ah of crude old LA battery. No reason not to believe that. But it is why it's heavy.

38Ah or 7Ah ( maybe ) you takes your choice.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi the Clarke one has a jump peak at 1500 amphr and the small one has 400- no contest
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
I have a number of their products, including the powergorilla just received yesterday, it is well made and does the job from what I can see, I can now store solar power in it but t is not any good for a flat vehicle battery.

The company have been going for some time and are very reputable, they supply the military and boating fraternity, but this seems too good to be true, I guess time will tell, not best always to be first buying a new product I guess!

Cheers,

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Why would you want to buy that at 200 quid ? you can buy very similar battery packs delivering 17 amp hrs -400 peak amps for about 20 quid they just throw in the dash but can only jump start a small petrol engine up to about 1600cc-sort of misses the point of carrying the start pack in the first place
terry

OP
OP
S

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
It took five years to develop so I guess there is more to it than bundling a few batteries together :Smile: Apparently there is some smart technology inside, I just don't want to be the guinea pig and thought there may be some wealthy forum members will to be first :roflmto:

I bought a powergorilla to keep the laptop and ipad charged, looks quality kit and working well so far :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I bought a powergorilla to keep the laptop and ipad charged, looks quality kit and working well so far :thumb:

Well you've only had it a day.

If you are in a MH all you needed was a £20 laptop charger that runs off your much bigger leisure battery. I must be missing something here.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
forget it and buy a decent length set of 600+amp capacity jump leads :thumb:
no matter where you are, theres always someone willing to give you a jump start.

you'll only need that gadget if you wild camp and flatten your battery.

OP
OP
S

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Well Battery booster arrived, what a bit of kit, started a stone cold Iveco 2.5ltr diesel with flat battery first time. I will leave the more knowledgeable here with their own views, as it seems this bit of kit is very smart as well as lightweight ::bigsmile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well Battery booster arrived, what a bit of kit, started a stone cold Iveco 2.5ltr diesel with flat battery first time. I will leave the more knowledgeable here with their own views, as it seems this bit of kit is very smart as well as lightweight ::bigsmile:

And apparently one that seems to defy the laws of physics !

Do not get me wrong, not doubting what you say at all, in fact really pleased it works well for you..
But as an electronics design engineer I am completely baffled by the spec published

As Brian quite rightly points out, the blurb is, quite frankly, mainly tosh !

OP
OP
S

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Well today I started a 3.5ltr marine diesel Volvo D4 240hp engine with it, the engine requires 750 Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) :thumb:

The spec of the startmonkey400 states it is suitable for vehicles using 12v batteries up to 1200 CCA, the vehicle’s CAA rating can be found on a sticker on top of your battery.

Seems to work, maybe the Chinese have extra special powers :roflmto:

I'm keeping it, it only weighs 1.1kg so is a lot lighter than the big battery booster pack ::bigsmile:

I just found these youtube clips, can't find part 1 but here is part 2 and 3 [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=906cHw1Dxvs[/ame] [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiUU5LPU-PA[/ame]

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Time will tell ::bigsmile: Did you leave the battery's connected ?Try starting your Iveco or Volvo without any battery's connected to see if it starts :thumb: then try the same with your Clarke jump start pack :thumb: that way you will get the true performance between the 2
BTW how much for your now not needed Clarke :winky::ROFLMAO:
terry

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Time will tell ::bigsmile: Did you leave the battery's connected ?Try starting your Iveco or Volvo without any battery's connected to see if it starts :thumb: then try the same with your Clarke jump start pack :thumb: that way you will get the true performance between the 2
BTW how much for your now not needed Clarke :winky::ROFLMAO:
terry
terry
i think you completly missing the point,if it had no battery on it, why start it with a big jump pack,why not just put another battery on it??
please never come near my car with a jump pack if there is no battery on it.:Eeek:
the point the op is trying to get across is, this is a get you started jobby with a battery in place,and its light,very light:thumb:
i wont ever need one,but it's good:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I presently have a rather large battery booster pack as a back up weighing 17kg :Sad:, see: Link Removed

I was informed that a new product was launched this week, I wonder of anyone with electrical knowledge could tell me if I am better of with the new one at only 800g :Eeek:
Link Removed

Thanks

terry
i think you completly missing the point,if it had no battery on it, why start it with a big jump pack,why not just put another battery on it??
please never come near my car with a jump pack if there is no battery on it.:Eeek:
the point the op is trying to get across is, this is a get you started jobby with a battery in place,and its light,very light:thumb:
i wont ever need one,but it's good:thumb:

Didn't think I was missing the point Chris ::bigsmile:The idea WAS TO SEE WHICH WAS THE BEST WAY TO GO AND THOUGHTS AS TO WHICH WAS BEST :thumb:The experiment without battery's would tell you if the Clarke or the other was better :thumb:
On paper the Clarke is half price and better but probably 7/8 times heavier ::bigsmile:
Since you have bought one and already have the other I thought a simple comparison test would give us the answer ---You now state that the pack gives up to 1200 CCAmps :thumb:That was not in the blurb at the beginning (only 400) 1200 should start any engine :thumb:but the Clarke has 1500Amp peak power so should be the better unit on paper :thumb::winky:
terry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You now state that the pack gives up to 1200 CCAmps :thumb:That was not in the blurb at the beginning (only 400) 1200 should start any engine :thumb:but the Clarke has 1500Amp peak power so should be the better unit on paper :thumb::winky:
terry

If you look at the cables it's obvious neither can pass this current, all they do is charge the existing battery. A really dead battery would not take a charge and would not start with one of these, I believe.

OP
OP
S

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
The full details have always been available through the link I put on here, there is a pdf of technical specs, open it and it explains all Link Removed

Terry, as for the Clarke, your right, I don't need it now, any idea what I could do with it? :Smile:

I think you have to remember that these are two different tools, the Clarke although heavy can be used for many more uses, the 400 is purely a starting tool, so VERY expensive to have just in case. Unfortunately my boat has twin 240hp 3.5ltr engines in it, if both my domestic batteries and starter were to fail (staying up watching too much 12v telly the night before) when say being anchored up for a few days off the Channel Islands, then you would be in big poop, I have always had the Clarke as a standby and also taken it in the motorhome, but the 400 seems much better weight wise for the motorhome :thumb:

I can't justify both and as I have other battery storage tools powergorilla, power explorer extreme and solar, I think I should sell the Clarke, it has only been kept for emergencies and been properly charged as per instructions.

I see the company has a 200 version that has been out for a while, they are a global company so not some Micky mouse outfit, time will tell but on first impressions the amount of starts from one charge looks amazing however they do it.

I don't think the guy doing the video should give up his day job though!!!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
quote --The startmonkey400 delivers a jump-start current of 12Volts at 400Amps ::bigsmile:
the Clarke does 1500 amps peak
A fully charged battery rated at 400 / 450 CCA will start most vehicles :thumb: but a jump pack rated at 400 cca will only get up to a 2 ltr petrol engine going - you need the bigger Clarke to start a big 3 ltr diesel :thumb: The 2.8 ltr Iveco recommends 700 cca but when I got it it only had a 500 cca battery on that lasted above 3 yrs :Smile: The jump pack will start a vehicle without having a battery on :thumb:
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The jump pack will start a vehicle without having a battery on :thumb:
terry

hmm.. not going to get involved in this discussion.. it's far too technical for me.. but what's the point of that Terry ?

Remove the jump pack after it's started and goodnight alternator and maybe even the ECU / EMU

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
WARNING

Just in case I have not mentioned this before, this device contains LiPo batteries. I spent £15 on a flameproof pouch for my model helicopter LiPo batteries because of the number of fires started by them.

Sometimes they they ignite when charging, sometimes after a crash there is invisible damage and I know of one care burnt out as the modeller was driving home.

So treat it with great care and try not to drop it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VswaFOrVM6I[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DcpANRFrI4&feature=related[/ame]

PS Most laptops, mobile phones, tablets and drills have these. Good eh !

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
hmm.. not going to get involved in this discussion.. it's far too technical for me.. but what's the point of that Terry ?

Remove the jump pack after it's started and goodnight alternator and maybe even the ECU / EMU

It was just to see which was better Jim -only needed to start then stop :winky: not suggesting you run it without the battery
terry

OP
OP
S

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Sorry, but I don't think you are reading the pdf link that is under the main picture in the original link, it shows the 400 is capable of starting an engine requiring up to 1,200 Cold Cranki Amps (CCA). My engines require 750 CCA's to start them, so it s not a problem for the 400 which has been proved.

As for it bursting into flames, you just have to laugh at nonsense like that :roflmto:

....................Got to go, think I can smell burning :Eeek:

:ROFLMAO:

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Why would you want to buy that at 200 quid ? you can buy very similar battery packs delivering 17 amp hrs -400 peak amps for about 20 quid they just throw in the dash but can only jump start a small petrol engine up to about 1600cc-sort of misses the point of carrying the start pack in the first place
terry

I was so impressed with the write up on here that I Googled it and found that although the RRP is £200 they are being advertised on Amazon for as little as £65. I suppose this must be a scam .... ?

OP
OP
S

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
You are talking utter cr@p, where is the link to the one at £65 then ?

Why type utter nonsense on here and allege a scam, try annoying people on another thread? :Angry:

I have already stated that there is a cheaper model 200, but even that would never be £65

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Not being hugely technical I think what this actually does is put some power into your battery so when you turn the key the battery actually does the starting. As I understand it even when your engine won't start the battery isn't dead flat, just isn't enough power in it to start you up, so if you add a bit then there will be enough. Again I'm not that technical but I know different battery designs allow the power out at different rate, hence not using a car battery for leisure use, so it seems to me that this could also apply to the rate at which energy could be transferred from one storage vessel to another. I'm sure the more knowledgeable will pick me up on this but that's the way I see it.:winky:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Morning Swifty ,I missed the bit at 1200 CCA but did see the 400 CCA ::bigsmile: hence my bit about the Clarke at 1500 CCA The Start monkey being 2x the price is not as powerful as the Clarke :Eeek: but is still very impressive starting your 3.5 ltr Volvo :thumb: and being probably 12 x smaller and lighter :thumb:
I used to carry a jump pack (never needed)then moved on to long jump leads but now carry a spanner :thumb: to swop the starter for the L/B if I ever get stuck :thumb:
terry

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Techie wars.......I love 'em
Im just not bright enough to get involved

And I thought jump leads were skipping ropes that didnt slip off your hands !!!!

Go put that fire out swifty :Smile::Smile::Smile:

barry

OP
OP
S

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
I'm not techie, but it does astound me that someone coming out of the hills claims to know more about electronics than experts in the field, who have spent years on R&D and produced what seems to be a fantastic safe bit of kit which complies to all relevant regulations, unlike a Heath Robinson bodge experiment somewhere up a hill :roflmto:

Got to go, got smoke detectors to fit :ROFLMAO:

Terry, agree on jump leads but when out at sea and out of sight of land and other vessels, I would some length of cable!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I don't bother with either now ::bigsmile: but can understand out at sea :ROFLMAO: Nice bit of kit buy no better than the Clarke except on size :thumb:
terry

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
You are talking utter cr@p, where is the link to the one at £65 then ?

Why type utter nonsense on here and allege a scam, try annoying people on another thread? :Angry:

I have already stated that there is a cheaper model 200, but even that would never be £65

Wow! What a reaction! You should read my post more carefully. I wasn't alleging that the product was a scam, only that someone offering it at a supposedly cheap price was a scam.

As for 'trying to annoy people on another thread', if I knew what you were talking about I would perhaps be able to reply !

But your over the top aggressive response made me make a compilation of ALL your posts on this thread. Upon reading them in sequence I have come to the conclusion that you may have more than just a casual interest in this product - I think you may well be using this forum for commercial promotion. I did have the suspicion all along that you were a tad too enthusiastic, especially in the face of some expert and sensibly founded criticism. I was seriously thinking of getting one but now I'm thinking perhaps it is a scam after all. :Nowink:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back