Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Hi Folks
Has anyone used the beanbag type dashboard base for mounting satnav on and if so, how secure are they? I've got the adhesive backed disc that came with my Garmin but I think that stuck to the dashboard is as much a giveaway as the suction ring marks left on the windscreen.

regards

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
havent used the genuine thing but when i broke my tomtom mount i made a soft 'beanbag' filled with rice and some of that sticky 'rubber' gripmat type stuff.

damned thing spent more time on the floor :Doh:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi have you got a single height stereo in the front of the van with a radio sized pocket either above or below the radio??

if so make a slide in mount for your gamin out of a piece of wood with the sticky disc stuck on it then when not in use just drop it in the glovebox:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our van is based on the 2003 Boxer. It has a clipboard integrated into the top of the dash.

I bought a cheap plastic clipboard from Asda (basically, any rigid plastic sheet can be used) which can be clipped into the integrated clipboard. The sat nav mount sits on that.

The photo shows our old TomTom but the current Garmin works just as well.

Attachments

• DCP_0025s.jpg
    DCP_0025s.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 46

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years , tugging for 27 years
dashboard mount

got one for my tomtom 720 find it great never moves and once the sucker mount for the tomtom is secure you can move it to whatever position suits you best, would recommend very pleased

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Hi Folks
Has anyone used the beanbag type dashboard base for mounting satnav on and if so, how secure are they? I've got the adhesive backed disc that came with my Garmin but I think that stuck to the dashboard is as much a giveaway as the suction ring marks left on the windscreen.

regards

Yes - I've used one from Garmin for years, moving it between several vehicles as necessary. It'd filled with what seems to be lead shot (but knowing the current cost of lead it'll brobably be fine sand - NOT rice !) and hardly ever moves from it's original position. I much prefer it to any other form of mount because it's so easy and convenient. When flyng abroad I take it with me to use my own satnav in a hire or loan car knowing it'll work whatever vehicle in which I finish up. And, as in the point of your post, it leaves no evidence of satnav use behind, either.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, we have one and they're great. The supplied mount would be OK for a while but then would come unstuck and throw itself from the dash, often at the most inconvenient moment. So changed to the bean-bag type and it stays exactly where you put it and easily transfers from car to m/h. As for the tell-tale ring on the screen I think it may be a bit of a red herring. These days most drivers have a satnav so whether a ring is visible or not means nothing. A tell-tale ring doesn't mean that a satnav is left inside the vehicle, after all.
Wyn

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
hi have you got a single height stereo in the front of the van with a radio sized pocket either above or below the radio??

if so make a slide in mount for your gamin out of a piece of wood with the sticky disc stuck on it then when not in use just drop it in the glovebox:thumb:

Similar, but without the wood, I use the pocket above the radio and slide the 'beanbag' in. If its a bit loose pack it out with something. It comes straight out and into the glove-box. Its never moved while traveling.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have one from the Garmin Street Pilot III

I have a Garmin Street Pilot III that came many years ago with a bean bag with an connection plate on it.. works fine..always stayed in place.

Bob:thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
My old garmin had the beanbag mount, it was great, now have a tom tom and wish they did one for theirs

OP
OP
Gooney
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Thanks for the input folks, Navmat it is, just ordered one and special thanks to Pappajohn, I'll be doing a lamb biryani tonight with the rice I've saved:RollEyes:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I have Tom Tom with a window sucker, which of course kept falling off, so I used HD Velcro on the sucker and mated it with a patch on the dash board.

Works well and is still transferable to other vehicles.

Doug...

pameladavid

Free Member
Apr 27, 2010
Chard, Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Not long enough!!
Hi Folks

regards

Hi - We have one of these that cost £10 from local car accessory shop and just move it vehicle to vehicle. Very useful!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back