hi all i`m in trouble big time (1 Viewer)

plumbersback

Free Member
Jul 4, 2011
birmingham
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
i`m a newbie
hi there i brought a kontiki 1989 about 3 weeks ago and its very very poorly.

the back window was leaking when i looked all the wall board has gone took it of and the battrerns have gone well just a cupple.

but what i need help with is the wall cupboards how can i get them of as i`m going all the way with it cheers all from a broken harted plumber

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
speak to your local council Trading Standards Team you may be able to get your money back.

Sorry cant help you on the technical bits

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Welcome to the forum. The cupboards must be screwed to the wal. Do they have false backs (look inside) hiding the screws

stew

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
the back window was leaking when i looked all the wall board has gone took it of and the battrerns have gone well just a cupple.
but what i need help with is the wall cupboards how can i get them of as i`m going all the way with it cheers all from a broken harted plumber
Sorry not good news, that particular vintage the dealers use to call them Konleakies as apposed to kontikis. The chances are there could be a lot more rot around. :cry:

Gran & Rog

Free Member
Apr 17, 2011
Lofthouse, Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Eight years
I am so sorry to hear of your troubles, we ourselves are having big big troubles with our 5th wheel trailer.

We bought from what we thought were reputable Company but found out quite the opposite!!:Angry:

Good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol

Hi

Join

swift-talk.co.uk and ask away for the Swift guys Andy, Ash and others to answer

they I am sure will be able to help you

good luck

Steve

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
it was a private sale

I would still have a go, I am sure he new what he was selling, although I guess it does depend what you paid and what was said.

Maybe Bob (sloberdobabob) could give you some soud advice.

Good luck.

All the best Rick

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Put a damp meter on it and check just how much has soaked in --how big an area as my friends Highwayman had the same problem and it ended up that half the m/Home had to have all the wood replaced in the back half. very costly

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Have a look at this web site..... Link Removed ..contact them and have a word with them......they seem to restore older motorhomes....maybe a lot better than what you may achieve as they know what to remove and replace and how..:Eeek:

just a thought :thumb:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Can I ask how much you paid for the kontiki? I would love to buy a rotten one, at the right price, strip it out, insulate it correctly and rebuild the interior

stew

OP
OP
P

plumbersback

Free Member
Jul 4, 2011
birmingham
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
i`m a newbie
thanks to everyone who replied

hi there again thanks to everyone who replied. i had a nose around the web on law and there not alot you can do it cost me five grand but private sales as not well backed up by law .
you have a recall if the person lied to you but then it your word against theres.

never mind five years of saving if i find anything out about theses vans i`ll let people know cheers all

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Different but similar, our first RV was a '77 C class and similarly the rear window leaked, and moved in the hole. We stripped out the window and internal board and found the frame rotten so basically cut back to good reinstated, lots of fun planning down wood to the right size and rebuilt. It was actually pretty straight forward just a question of working through. One fundamental issue was matching the internal board which was never going to happen so we got close with some 4mm ply and wood stain, really didn't look bad after and frankly I'm no carpenter, getting better though:thumb:

That wasn't the only repair mind you but as the base was solid it was fun to sort and taught us about MHs, well specifically RVs but in essence they are very similar really. As others have said there are related web sites and also if memory serves O'Learys, Hull I think do alot of MH build materials, wall boards was what was crossing my mind, often crop up with the self builders.

Good luck:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi and welcome:thumb:I am a self builder and have done the job you are about to undertake on a van.Let ma start by saying it took about £2500 in new materials but that included new seat coverings etc.We had to put on a new roof ::bigsmile: which with the Kontiki you will not have to :thumb:We ended up ripping out the full interior and replacing several batons,and all the wall boards/interior.I could have done it on the cheap but knew what we were buying :Doh::Eeek: and that we were keeping it for a good bit.The work took 2 of us about 3 weeks (15 days) but in the end we had a completely refurbished interior. good luck and ask away :thumb:
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Ok , so you have a lemon, but it's not terminal .. if the rest of the van is sound then it is well worth refurbishing .. and if you DIY it won't cost a fortune..

You are a tradesman, so you have basic hand tool skills .. and that's all you need to strip out and repair.. I have repaired several vans with damp, it's not difficult , just time consuming ..

Start as you have said by removing the cupboards, then remove the wall panel(s) try not to mangle them, they can be used as a template when cutting the new ones.

Remove the window.. and all of the wall insulation.

Measure the section of the rotten timbers and source new pressure treated wood from a timber merchant ..

You will need waterproof wood glue and either plated or brass screws..

Don't rush in and rip out all the rotten.. remove a couple or three pieces at a time and replace .. Replace the insulation, buy new if the old was damp or mouldy.

Cut to size and install the wall panels using the old ones as templates, a jigsaw is very useful for this task

Replace the window and seal using Car-a-seal mastic ( not silicone sealer) from any caravan dealers.

Lastly the cupboards ...

Sit back and admire your handywork .. you will have saved many thousands of pounds and KNOW it's been done properly ..

as mentioned, source panelling from O'Learys on line store..

good luck and if you get stuck just shout out

OP
OP
P

plumbersback

Free Member
Jul 4, 2011
birmingham
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
i`m a newbie
nice people on here

thank you all for advice well slevees up and here i go think i`ll go to church first going to need the help:cry::ROFLMAO:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Here's one I did earlier:

Link Removed

As Jim says above, it isn't difficult, just time-consuming.

Good Luck :thumb:

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
leaky kontiki

hi you are able to get new wall boards from olearys motorhomes and most other bits you require ...hope this helps .ive had a simular problem with my van
[roof leaking}

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back