Wind Generator (2 Viewers)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
What do folks think of this. A bit cheaper than a solar panel to keep the batteries up on a stored van. Possibly useful on rallies which don't always have sun but usually seem to have plenty of wind. It also runs at night and with snow on the roof and 4A is nearly enough to run the blown air heating on a Truma boiler which otherwise tends to hammer batteries overnight.

Most wind generators I have come across are quite noisy but this one claims not to be. Whose going to be first to risk £150 to report back ?

Link Removed

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
PM Dingray.
He has a silent one. Saw / didnt hear it running at Newark.
Not cheap, but he says it's a good bit of kit.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
I posted about this recently and was refered to another thread that Jaws had started where they pointed it out that you needed 35mph winds to get a charge. Go for the solar panel, they are fantastic

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
needs at least 10mtr per second wind.....a force 5 wind.......20mph +

if it needs no specific anchorage how do you hold it down ?

OP
OP
Reallyretired
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I posted about this recently and was refered to another thread that Jaws had started where they pointed it out that you needed 35mph winds to get a charge. Go for the solar panel, they are fantastic

Quite agree and I have a solar panel,however my van is in storage and all my batteries went flat as the panel was covered with snow for weeks.:Sad:

I hadn't realised 10m/s was 20mph, so it isn't much good in a gentle breeze then.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Also...... where do you store it?

Some of my friends have used wind turbines attached to the van and they all say you get vibrations transmitted through the van.

Finally if you have one of those a case-type sat dish you will probably need a good few hours to set them up each evening.

I have a roof mounted solar panel, yes I know it works far below its peak performance but you set it up once and then forget it. The other plus factor is that it works all the time there is a reasonable amount of light, stationary or moving.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The turbines which cause vibrations are the horizontal axis type. The vertical axis ones are much less prone to vibration.

Ray's is reasonably compact and easily stored, he can set it up in a couple of minutes and it causes no vibration nor appreciable noise.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The turbines which cause vibrations are the horizontal axis type. The vertical axis ones are much less prone to vibration.

Ray's is reasonably compact and easily stored, he can set it up in a couple of minutes and it causes no vibration nor appreciable noise.
And it stops dead every time I park my RV next to it:Doh:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Force 5 is a fresh breeze 18-24mph or 10.7m/s it is not an uncommon windspeed in the winter months and of course available 24/7 unlike the sun. speeds less than that will just have a lower output but still work.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001

Not if you have a small motor home or van conversion as space in these is almost non existent.

I have a large space underneath the fixed bed so I could probably find storage.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Originally Posted by GJH View Post

Not if you have a small motor home or van conversion as space in these is almost non existent.

I have a large space underneath the fixed bed so I could probably find storage.

I think Ray's van is about 21 feet so not massive. We could certainly find room to store the turbine in our van - 18 foot coachbuilt - but I've never had a chance to nick it :roflmto:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Storage why ????

just bolt it to your roof and leave it there you will only be traveling at most around 65 mph so it should charge just nicely :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back