Leopard is the New Vista ! (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I couldn't wait till the launch of Apple's new all singing all dancing OSX 10.5 .. now 10.5.1, otherwise known as Leopard..
I waited in line at the Apple store at Bluewater for the UK release.. couldn't wait to get home and get it installed.. and now I wish I hadn't wasted my money .. in fact Apple have turned a stable OS into a crash-happy glitz fest, it's not better than Vista. Leopard is Vista, and Tiger is better than both of them!

Apple have got it wrong, for example, there are no drivers or software for my Option G3 GPRS data card and Option have no immediate plan to do so either.

There is also a lot of software with serious issues, the Mac forums are full of problems and complaints from very unhappy Macheads..

Safari freezes, I've had several crashes requiring a re boot, the spinning beach ball is now a common sight as programs stall.

I've often made fun of Windoze and praised Mac but this time the boot is firmy on the other foot.. and if something don't work right, I say so.

As a result, I've re installed Tiger, Leopard is confined to the glitzy box it came in.. :cry:

Anyone want a five license Leopard disk ?? :Angry:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Sorry you've become a Glitch Victim Jim, the forums are abuzz mostly with incompatibility issues with hardware and software packages:RollEyes: - I guess I'm pleased I waited before upgrading the G5. The Powerbook seems fine with Leopard, but then it has a much less complicated life than the G5....and it was a completely fresh install.

I think Apple diverted important programming resources to the iphone from Leopard and these are the consequences......but after a few updates it'll be back to business again!!

Laurie:RollEyes:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
He who dares doesn't always win eh Jim?:Doh::RollEyes:

:roflmto::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think Apple diverted important programming resources to the iphone from Leopard and these are the consequences......but after a few updates it'll be back to business again!!

Laurie:RollEyes:

Hi Laurie

I hope so, it held (holds ? ) great promise and some nice features, meantime I've sent it in to exile on an external drive ... fingers crossed.. :RollEyes:

Jim

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Jim, perhaps not possible in your situation - but fresh installs of Leopard seem to be more stable than upgrades. Doesn't solve the compatibility issues, though. Ie Erase and Install rather than Archive and Install. Not always possible of course, when you have loads of files......

Laurie

:Smile:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim, perhaps not possible in your situation - but fresh installs of Leopard seem to be more stable than upgrades. Doesn't solve the compatibility issues, though. Ie Erase and Install rather than Archive and Install. Not always possible of course, when you have loads of files......

Laurie

Hi

I did a fresh instal of Leopard, but even without the glitches it doesn't have the driver for the Option data card and the card software is also incompatible..
Good ol' Tiger :thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I can understand the issues with windows XP/Vista etc Microsoft has to get the operating system to work with zillions of "combinations" thousands of motherboards, even on the computers I built from old bits with some components almost 10 years old. But macs are pretty standard aren't they? Do people build there own Macs? Because of this I would not have thought you should suffer such ills with any of their software.

People say that Microsoft beta test their products on their paying customers, but it would be impossible to test every PC configuration. Dell are still shipping XP as an option to business customers. I certainly wouldn't spend £250 on what is essentially a downgrade to vista!

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Jim,
Although Mac owners don't "build their own" as many PC users do - the macs are still subject to lots of changes and additions - video cards, other pci / sata controllers to give expanded firewire /bluetooth etc - all mean that many Macs do not remain "standard". Plus, the longevity of macs is much greater than pcs, so owners expect to be able to install new OS es on macs, the age of which would put pcs of a similar age on the scrapheap. Apple therefore has to cater for a wide variety of combinations if you look at legacy hardware, which they do support somewhat better than Microsoft do. The processors and motherboards are also not just standard, but come in many different speeds with tweaks here and there.

It doesn't excuse the current situation in any way of course - if Apple had concentrated on Leopard or the iphone instead of greedily launching both pretty much together, this situation would not have arisen.

I have recommended to Mac using friends that they stick with Tiger unless they have no option, or they have the option to do a freash install of Leopard - ie reformat. Doesn't solve the driver issues though.

As for Vista, well I simply wouldn't consider it - the price is crazy, the problems legion. All our PCs are staying with XP for the forseeable!

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I received a reply from "Option" data card tech support.

Dear Sir,

There will be an updated version of Option GT Mac Connect released soon which will run on Leopard but I'm afraid I do not yet have an exact release date.

My apologies,

Gene Trujillo
Option Wireless Tech Support

Not a solution yet, but light at the end of the tunnel ..

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi I think compared to a PC you can justifiably claim that Mac's are standard. I don't know what parts have been tweaked or can be supplied by an independent but compared to a pc where every single component can come from a different manufacturer, they are a "standard build"

Also another problem for pc's is the large gaming community who require the fastest mc going, the many small tweaks you can do to increase frame rates, overclocking the memory, processor and motherboard, and the cutting edge video cards, its hardly surprising that it falls over. I think the real surprise is that its a stable as it is.

Now that Apple has gone over to intel (after years of saying they were crap) I think its only a matter of time before somebody brings out a motherboard which runs Leopard, then two things will happen 1) The price of mac's will come down 2) Because you will then be able to fit what other components you like, they will fall over more than they do now. And the choice between op. systems will become more blurred.

Olley

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back