Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Bucks
Funster No
MH
A week away
Exp
On and off 1981
Good morning Funsters and in a couple of minutes time it will 04:05. Can't wait.

Back from foray to Son, Cuzz, and Granvia dealer who does the Chatsworth converstion and is a small, friendly, and knowledgeable business in Chesterfield called Poplar Motors. David whose nickname is Dave has taken over his father biz and the chief mechanic John has been working for the company for 35 years. They have another man I met who drives a beautiful roller and does weddings and other things that require to be driven. There is another biz next door which also belongs to the family selling electronical things and I meant to but somehow did not go in there for a nose around.

I cannot tell you how much I love driving the Granvan. Power a plently, so comfortable and quiter than any other m\home I have driven which includes Mercs, Fiats with gutter and reversing issues, and one other I have forgotten. When I got home I had to pop around to the shops for a loaf oa bread and some Tiger beer and the difference in the joy of the ride was as chalk and cheese. Give me a Granvan any day.

And on that note I am going to get one hopefully to my spec so it suits my needs and I will have it done at Poplar I think. Honest men working in a honest business which I find refreshing in the motorhome industry and a tad unusual but will add exceptions of John Cross and Van Bitz to that generalisation as Eddie will send the boys round. :Eeek:

So I have a 2.7l side conversion and a google of Poplar Motors will show you many pics of mine and the variants and other interesting vehicles so I will not at this stage waste SJL webspace repeating that which is already available. For the hard of hearing the link is...

Link Removed ....and I have the petrol version.

So I am ordering a more recent model of the Granvia, and researching the engines as regards petrol\diesel and or LPG and any help here as regards to perkyness and mpg would be gratefully received. But the 2.7 is a dream to drive but I am hankering for a V6 3.4 petrol of a 3 somthing diesel so I have decisions to make when researched.

Basically I want a conversion where the two front seats swivel to face two of the middle seats and the back seat will be missing as I want a cassette loo (never a post without reference to a bog. That's what makes motorhoming what it is), no gas at all but a microwave with grill instead of a hob. Inboard and fixed fresh water, possible same for grey but may stick with portable tank, a rising roof rather than fixed to save money on Peage and Tunnel I think and also to get into most places and carparks and also so it does not look like a motorhome. All windows aft are black and not see through except at night a bit with lights on but all have curtains, mostly electric. Silver screens for cab are supplied as is hook up cable. I also need a sink but not hot water and have decided if we go petrol, to use vacuum flasks but if we go diesel then maybe additional heating and \ or hot water but I think this is unnecessary because this vehicle is our choice of an everyday vehicle ultimately and hopefully our only vehicle and normally we will be staying in hotels or mobile homes. Sleeping arrangements will be done with the 4 seats and one configuration allows for two single beds with an aisle or no aisle and a double bed. (I find a single bed less strenuous on Friday nights personally :smalllove: ).

So if I can find what I want then this will happen quite quickly but if I have to order from Japan then we are talking 3 months.

I have to say that if anyone is on a budget and what pure luxury, reliability and likes to drive around almost unnoticed this type of vehicle is a must see at least. If I had driven this some years ago I would have saved thousands by going down this route and ended up with something to love, something to cherish something I look forward to getting into and driving. Driving has once again become a pleasure.

Not sure what section this should be in so could a mod sort. Many thanks.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Pusser while on your travels to Chesterfield try a little further up the road and check out Wheelhouse leisure :thumb:BOG is already fitted :ROFLMAO:
Link Removed
They have ready to go or bespoke.Also if you try a search on Autotrader they have some to cobvert :thumb: good luck
terry
Link Removed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So you are locking yourself into a "hook up only" system or are you going for a big genny ?

Don't forget to order the automatic parking brake.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

Pusser

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Bucks
Funster No
MH
A week away
Exp
On and off 1981
I've decided, after much deliberation of members helpful comments (some ::bigsmile: ) to upgrade my Granvan to a two large vacuum
flask model and carry these unfixtures on to the next one when I get it. Auto handbrake comes with vicinity warnings, speed warning, lorry waving about warnings, this way is better warnings, slow down warnings, bend coming up warnings and we have been married now for over 30 years and it has never once gone wrong, ( according to the device. :Sad: ).

I expect you have an ultra modern one living where you do. The Hilldweller stop on a sixpence braking device, guaranteed to throw passengers through the screen. ::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not sure what section this should be in so could a mod sort. Many thanks.

Which would you like Sir, "Boring", "Optimistic Olde Fartes" or "Mid Life Crisis Males Fall For Young Slim Fit Girls"

OP
OP
P

Pusser

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Bucks
Funster No
MH
A week away
Exp
On and off 1981
Which would you like Sir, "Boring", "Optimistic Olde Fartes" or "Mid Life Crisis Males Fall For Young Slim Fit Girls"

Spot on Hilldy. Boring fits but if you find it boring bear in mind what it does for me. I have to type all this. Optimistic Olde Fartes is very true and the Granvan has given me a reason to live on and add that on to the State Pension that has paid me the first installment, life could not be better.

Sadly way out on option three. I love woman of all shapes and sizes but I shall leave the youngters to your self. ::bigsmile: Sometimes I am just all heart. :Cool:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I am curious but why have you decided to have no gas facilities for cooking at all, sounds like a project you are itching to start, keep it coming.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sadly way out on option three.

But No.

You divorce your be lardy old girl and now you're in love this new svelte Japanese youngster.

"I cannot tell you how much I love driving the Granvan". See, classic old guy with his new bit of stuff.

Enjoy and may all your problems be funny ones.

OP
OP
P

Pusser

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Bucks
Funster No
MH
A week away
Exp
On and off 1981
But No.

You divorce your be lardy old girl and now you're in love this new svelte Japanese youngster.

"I cannot tell you how much I love driving the Granvan". See, classic old guy with his new bit of stuff.

Enjoy and may all your problems be funny ones.

Very sorry. :Blush: I totally read everything the wrong way. Unusual for me to make a mistake. :Confused: You are a character that I need to study. I love the way you come out with obscurity or is it that I am too thick to comprehend. The latter beckons me thinks.:cry:

OP
OP
P

Pusser

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Bucks
Funster No
MH
A week away
Exp
On and off 1981
Not thick, Pusser. When Brian comes out with obscurity it means the tablets are working and he's having a good day :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I did not realise Hillydee was a Brian. I had a trolley named Brian when I was contracted to Stoke Mandeville I.T. to carry tools and parts about. I was very fond of that trolley and often wonder how it is getting on and hope it is not being abused.

Brian once passed a operation trolley with a patient who had just had an op and had tubes coming out all over the place. Brian just went straight past and ripped them all out. Thus patient had to go back into the operating theatre to have some more tubes put in.

But that was Brian. A laugh a minute.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not thick, Pusser. When Brian comes out with obscurity it means the tablets are working and he's having a good day :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Not any more, tablets not strong enough.

Now had an internal 5 gallon tank fitted with pump, computer control, the works. Trouble is I'm only getting 25mpg, I may have to visit WOW. Next time you see me look out for the solar implant on my head that powers it all. Great most of the time but on a dull day I can get a bit odd.And then nurse comes rushing in with the jump leads.

OP
OP
P

Pusser

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Bucks
Funster No
MH
A week away
Exp
On and off 1981
Not any more, tablets not strong enough.

Now had an internal 5 gallon tank fitted with pump, computer control, the works. Trouble is I'm only getting 25mpg, I may have to visit WOW. Next time you see me look out for the solar implant on my head that powers it all. Great most of the time but on a dull day I can get a bit odd.And then nurse comes rushing in with the jump leads.

You just cannot beat the NHS. It is so good I like to be ill now and again to enjoy the service.

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Can you put up a link for that section, I can't seem to find it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back