Best Campsite Guidebook for France? (1 Viewer)

Gareth

Free Member
Jul 1, 2011
Newbury, Berks, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
14 Years
Hi folks,
Can anybody recommend a good guide book to campsites in France?

I bought an AA guide a few years ago and it was terrible. It just featured really posh expensive sites on the whole. I am looking for a guide that is more like the Caravan Club Site Directory that will list smaller sites and municipal sites.

We will be in the area of Normandy, the Loire valley and probably inland a bit from La rochell. We will be in Autocruise Valentine.

We will be looking for nice little towns with good cycling prospects to stay in on the whole.

Cheers
Gareth

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
You need the ACSI book. It will save you money too if out of the high season. I usually reckon the book pays for itself in just 2 nights.

Available from Vicarious books, though they often sell out.

OP
OP
G

Gareth

Free Member
Jul 1, 2011
Newbury, Berks, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
14 Years
Great! Would that be this one:
"All the Aires-France 3rd edition"?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
The caravan club do a europe book, also the caravan and camping club do european sites,
there is also the asci book which you can buy as stated you can also see the sites online at

Link Removed

and camping cheques is another one

http://www.campingcheque.co.uk/

Welcome to Fun

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Afraid not, though thats a good book it doesn't have sites in it, only aires.

The one you want is Link Removed
:thumb:

Used this for every night bar one 3 weeks in May in France. Descriptions absolutely spot on. If you get the disc as well there is more info about each site on that. Being the low season, we well saved the cost of the book and disc.

OP
OP
G

Gareth

Free Member
Jul 1, 2011
Newbury, Berks, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
14 Years
Thanks for the swift replies.

We are going in the High season. A the end of July and into August, will that make any difference to anything or as to whether you can use that card thing or stay at the sites in the guide?

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
All sites in france are dear from start of July through to September it the main european holiday time, the same goes for any of the european countries UK included. You can use the sites in any of the books but the discounts will not apply

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Ouch, not quite true Chatter! Parc Verger's charges do not change, and we still give the Funster's discount throughout the summer months! So if anyone wants a peaceful break on a good quality campsite, in a beautiful area of France, come on down! For full info and pics have a look at www.parcverger.com, and the MHFun campsite guide gives info too.:thumb:
OK, for those who want all-singing all-dancing sites near the coast, well you can expect to pay for it - many of these are only open in the summer, so have to make all their money in that time, hence high charges.:Doh:
For us, we are open and welcoming guests all year, with some guests already booked in for Christmas (yes, really). We'd be delighted to see more Funsters, whenever you can visit us!::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
Bob and Di

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Ouch, not quite true Chatter! Parc Verger's charges do not change, and we still give the Funster's discount throughout the summer months! So if anyone wants a peaceful break on a good quality campsite, in a beautiful area of France, come on down! For full info and pics have a look at www.parcverger.com, and the MHFun campsite guide gives info too.:thumb:
OK, for those who want all-singing all-dancing sites near the coast, well you can expect to pay for it - many of these are only open in the summer, so have to make all their money in that time, hence high charges.:Doh:
For us, we are open and welcoming guests all year, with some guests already booked in for Christmas (yes, really). We'd be delighted to see more Funsters, whenever you can visit us!::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
Bob and Di

We will try to stay with you when we finally get away again. I hope you don't need advance booking as we never like to commit ourselves to a particular date. We will email or phone a day or so before to check you have room.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Bob and Di

My appologies, its nice to know that not all levy charges during the 'summer break months':thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
bob and di we have booked our tunnel today for the 16th of july and will hopefully pop in and stay with you for a day or 2 will email you closer to the time if we have internet. As we are wanting to visit oradour sur vayres.

Gerry

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Gareth

We like you will be heading to France at peak time due to Sophie still being at school we use the cc book and also have an asci book even though we cant get discount it is really handy for finding sites. We also have the Aires book and have downloaded poi's from archies website of over 20 000 campsites.

Gerry

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
We have no problems with arrivals without bookings, and have never failed to fit guests in yet! For those who want specific pitches that's different, but those who have been here know that we have good pitches for all - even the grass pitches are OK for motorhomes as the surface is well-drained and never soft. So we look forward to seeing you, Nearlyretired and Gerry, and any other Funsters who may be heading this way.:thumb:
Bob and Di

OP
OP
G

Gareth

Free Member
Jul 1, 2011
Newbury, Berks, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
14 Years
"Archies website" humm sounds indispensable where can I find it?

One tiny Google later....

Link Removed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We are going in the High season. A the end of July and into August, will that make any difference to anything

Just takes longer to book in, instead of handing over your credit card you sit down with a lawyer and sign a mortgage.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I am looking for a guide that is more like the Caravan Club Site Directory[HI] that will list smaller sites and municipal sites.[/HI]

Gareth

A fairly new web site that lists municipal sites on Google maps .. ... http://www.camping-municipal.org/index.htm still very much a 'work in progress'.

It is a project, not a commercial site.. new sites are being added daily by members.

OP
OP
G

Gareth

Free Member
Jul 1, 2011
Newbury, Berks, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
14 Years
Thanks all for the great advice. Those POI's for satnavs are amazing! I think that those alone will revolutionise how we do touring this time round. We used a satnav in Holland, Germany and Denmark a couple of years ago and being able to find out where nearby sites are when its getting late and then being guided to them is fantastic. We didn't have the benefit of a great POI database that time round but is was still really usefull.

I have never used a satnav in France before as the last time we went there they were just fitted in high-end cars really and not by any means affordable.

So thanks again ppl. :thumb:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Bob and Di

I had the pleasure of staying at Parc Verger a couple of weeks ago when I was travelling back to the UK for the Shrewsbury MH show....I can safely say that you will have a great welcome and you must visit Dino's in the village for a meal !!!
I will be returning there in Nov/Dec when I will be wending my way towards Zahora !!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: [/I]

barrymckay

Free Member
Mar 22, 2011
Wellington, Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since2010
Hi
We have just come back from Spain and stayed in a lovely municipal site in a town called Mansle, just off the N10(it is in the ACSI book) very reasonable and very helpful, also a lovely little town.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back