Jun 30, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on & off since 2001
Hi,

I have recently sold my car and caravan and purchased a small motorhome which I was intending to take to Spain this winter on the Brittany Ferries route from Portsmouth to Santander as I have done in recent years with the car and caravan. I plan to sail around the 18th October 2011 and tow a small trailer. In previous years my car was up to 5 metres long and up to 1.83 metres high towing my caravan up to 7 metres long and 2.6 metres high, the price for this year with 2 passengers using an inside 2 berth cabin would be £389.00. My new motorhome is up to 6 metres long and 2.6 metres high towing a trailer up to 4 metres long and up to 1.83 metres high, the price for this comes out at £428.00 The overall length and volume is shorter and lower than the caravan and car yet I am expected to pay more for taking up less space on the ferry, how can this be fair.?
I contacted Brittany Ferries Customer Service regarding this and they replied and I quote "Our pricing is such to ensure that to be fair to all our customers, those travelling with longer or higher vehicles than the norm pay a supplement per crossing on the basis that their vehicle occupies a greater volume on board than do some other vehicles. Rather than charging for the overall length of a vehicle, we price each element separately, with each individual component falling into its own price category"
Bearing in mind the above, I started to look at various options with the car and caravan against the motorhome and which ever way you look at it the motorhomer always seems to come off financially worse than the caravanner. Now I cannot see how they can justify this as I am taking up less length/height and overall volume, I should be paying less not £39.00 more. According to their costings, the motorhome trailer at 4metres long and 1.83 metres high is being charged £117 the same price as a caravan 7 metres long and 2.6 metres high. I can except that I should have to pay more for my motorhome as it is 1 metre longer than the car and 2.6 metres high and therefore I am happy to pay a supplement which according to their figures works out at £39.00. What I cant understand is why my trailer at 4 metres long and up to 1.83 metres high is priced the same as my old caravan at £117.00? If I was to tow my old caravan of 7 metres long and 2.6 metres high with the motorhome, then the price goes up yet again from £117.00 to £146.00 for the caravan, how can this be fair when I have already paid a supplement for the motorhome?
There is something fundamentally wrong with their pricing that needs to be sorted out as they are penalising motorhome owners that are towing trailers. A car towing a 4 metre trailer would only be paying £88.00 for the trailer against £117.00 for the Motorhomer, who as I said has already paid a supplement. Check it out yourself and you will see that its not right.
Numerous emails to Brittany Ferries Customer Services have failed to make them see reason and they keep saying that this is their pricing structure. I suppose that with P&O not operating out of Portsmouth to Spain any more they have the monopoly and can do as they please. With this in mind I for one will not be using this service any more until they see that this is a completely unfair situation that is penalising the motorhomer and they rectify the situation.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
A classic case of as soon as you mention "MOTORHOME" the till starts ringing.:Eeek:

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Ferry Prices

Hi Ken
Yes Its true lets make more money off the Motorhomers,
but if we at MHF all sent there Customer services department an email objecting to there
"motorhome bias charges" :Sad:and stated that there are alternative ferry companies,might make them think again,
But don't hold your breath,good luck with your endeavours:thumb:

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Funny, just been looking at ferry options again for next year..
been trying to get a quote to Santander for January.. No chance..

So thought I would check P & O as well as SeaFrance even though we usually just do the Norfolk Line thing and drive down

DFDS ( Norfolk Line as was ) No worries £53.00 including the trailer ( one way )

SeaFrance.. server down.. Domain name running out !

P & O errrrr £138.00 !!!

Sooooooooooo

As no one seems to be able to quote me for January to Spain I shall proly book with DFDS as usual :Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
We use the tunnel

The high cost of taking an RV on the Spanish route..we always use the tunnel, it is fast, plus we have Ezzie our St Bernard... Who likes to be with us on the crossing.. So we vote with our wallet. We also found the Hook Van Holland to be very very expensive as well. But Norfolk Line is always one of the cheapest ferry companies.. But you have to work out fuel cost to use the roads... Some say there is nothing in it. But I still prefer the road to a long sea crossing, especially when the sea can be a bit rough.

Bob:thumb:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Special Offers don't apply

You will also notice that when there are reduced 'special offers' on ferries for cars with caravans, there are none for motorhomes...

Hi,

I have recently sold my car and caravan and purchased a small motorhome which I was intending to take to Spain this winter on the Brittany Ferries route from Portsmouth to Santander as I have done in recent years with the car and caravan. I plan to sail around the 18th October 2011 and tow a small trailer. In previous years my car was up to 5 metres long and up to 1.83 metres high towing my caravan up to 7 metres long and 2.6 metres high, the price for this year with 2 passengers using an inside 2 berth cabin would be £389.00. My new motorhome is up to 6 metres long and 2.6 metres high towing a trailer up to 4 metres long and up to 1.83 metres high, the price for this comes out at £428.00 The overall length and volume is shorter and lower than the caravan and car yet I am expected to pay more for taking up less space on the ferry, how can this be fair.?
I contacted Brittany Ferries Customer Service regarding this and they replied and I quote "Our pricing is such to ensure that to be fair to all our customers, those travelling with longer or higher vehicles than the norm pay a supplement per crossing on the basis that their vehicle occupies a greater volume on board than do some other vehicles. Rather than charging for the overall length of a vehicle, we price each element separately, with each individual component falling into its own price category"
Bearing in mind the above, I started to look at various options with the car and caravan against the motorhome and which ever way you look at it the motorhomer always seems to come off financially worse than the caravanner. Now I cannot see how they can justify this as I am taking up less length/height and overall volume, I should be paying less not £39.00 more. According to their costings, the motorhome trailer at 4metres long and 1.83 metres high is being charged £117 the same price as a caravan 7 metres long and 2.6 metres high. I can except that I should have to pay more for my motorhome as it is 1 metre longer than the car and 2.6 metres high and therefore I am happy to pay a supplement which according to their figures works out at £39.00. What I cant understand is why my trailer at 4 metres long and up to 1.83 metres high is priced the same as my old caravan at £117.00? If I was to tow my old caravan of 7 metres long and 2.6 metres high with the motorhome, then the price goes up yet again from £117.00 to £146.00 for the caravan, how can this be fair when I have already paid a supplement for the motorhome?
There is something fundamentally wrong with their pricing that needs to be sorted out as they are penalising motorhome owners that are towing trailers. A car towing a 4 metre trailer would only be paying £88.00 for the trailer against £117.00 for the Motorhomer, who as I said has already paid a supplement. Check it out yourself and you will see that its not right.
Numerous emails to Brittany Ferries Customer Services have failed to make them see reason and they keep saying that this is their pricing structure. I suppose that with P&O not operating out of Portsmouth to Spain any more they have the monopoly and can do as they please. With this in mind I for one will not be using this service any more until they see that this is a completely unfair situation that is penalising the motorhomer and they rectify the situation.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Just did a price check for 9m RV 3.3m high + 2 adults inside cabin portsmouth/santander
£922 rtn :Eeek::Eeek:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Have you tried pricing the LD "landbridge" route?

First choice of various LD routes UK to France then second LD ferry St Nazaire to Gijon.

Last time we tried it worked out a lot cheaper than taking Brittany direct.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
The ports isue their charges to the ferry companies in late november, so next years prices are generally sorted then, thats what they told me last year anyway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back