LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
More info on the DEFRA website. Looks like an end to blood tests.

Note the table at the bottom of the page which shows the changes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Bad news for those boarding kennel owners. 6 months was always an unacceptably long time to have a dog away from its owners and just because of unfounded paranoia about rabies. Not that they made race horses do six months quarantine, they could cross borders easily, no quarantine:Doh:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Do gee gees get rabies ? I know they hurt when they bite
terry

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
sorry I have read it and dont understand it.:Eeek:

Can some one explain it.

If I want to take Tara skiing next year, she currently has to have a jab now in order to have a blood test in 6 months, are they now saying that sh can have the rabies jab 21 days before she goes and not need to be tested at a french vet prior to returning to the UK?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
sorry I have read it and dont understand it.:Eeek:

Can some one explain it.

If I want to take Tara skiing next year, she currently has to have a jab now in order to have a blood test in 6 months, are they now saying that sh can have the rabies jab 21 days before she goes and not need to be tested at a french vet prior to returning to the UK?

Hi Paul, as far as i can see Tara is concerned there is little or no change for taking her to and from Europe. It looks like you will be able to take her outside the EU say to Morrocco and be able to bring her back in without the 6 month jail. Mind you that story does look a bit wooly and I think further investigation is required.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Hi Paul, as far as i can see Tara is concerned there is little or no change for taking her to and from Europe. It looks like you will be able to take her outside the EU say to Morrocco and be able to bring her back in without the 6 month jail. Mind you that story does look a bit wooly and I think further investigation is required.

Pets from the EU and listed non-EU countries such as the USA and Australia will no longer need a blood test and will only have to wait 21 days before they travel,,,

At the moment Jim, the pet can't come back in until 6 months.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
or this makes it a bit clearer.

What has to be done Now From 1 January 2012
Microchip Yes Yes
Rabies vaccination Yes Yes
Documentation (pet passport or third country certificate) Yes Yes
Blood test (dogs and cats) Yes No
Pre-entry waiting period Yes Yes
Length of waiting period before entry to the UK 6 months from date sample taken for blood test 21 days after vaccination against rabies
Tick treatment Yes (24-48 hours before embarkation) No
Tapeworm treatment Yes (as for ticks) Under consideration at European level

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Paul, taken from the DEFRA site .. from 2012 , travel to EU countries you will not require the tick treatment at a French vet prior to returning to the UK .. and the length of waiting period after the rabies jab has been reduced to 21 days ..

with two dogs who haven't travelled abroad yet this is good news for us :Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim - never taken the pooch abroad and no PP for him,does that mean all we have to do is get him jabbed for rabies and get PP 21 days before leaving and just bring him back or is there more to it ?Sorry if I sound daft but never really looked into it before as it seamed a lot of hassel,after listening to the vet--told me needed rabies jab then test to see if jab worked :Eeek: poss another jab and test :Eeek: then take to vets within 24 hrs departure for what I now think I know a tic treatment ?total time 6 to 9 mths
terry

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Great News

That is great news.. I have looked at both links including the DEFRA site .. Ezzie has a passport and she is due for her rabies booster in January 2012...while she will still need that booster the issue that is the best news is about coming back in tot he UK.. It seems to say that as long as you have a tick and tapeworm application to apply outside the UK (done by a French vet for example) you should now be able to buy it in the UK and apply it yourself before you come home.

The main thing is you will not have to find a French vet and better still no stay over for the 24/48 hour rule after you have the French vet do the return proceedure.

The question then is will Euro Tunnel still require you to go to have the chip checked and will they still charge £30 for a dog to travel in your own car when you can have up to 8 humans for the same price..but extra for a dog. This will be great for day trips and short trips across with the RV.

Need to watch the DEFRA page for up dates on the tape worm and ticks treatment...

A really useful bit of info from the site to day.

Bob:thumb:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Alleluia!! If mine don't all have to have the tick n tape before entering the UK that saves me over €100 each time and a lot of stress. ( 4 to a vet appointment ain't easy!)

I'd say to check with a vet for the most up to date info until this new set of rules is firmly in place and had a bit if time to run. I've known a few people refused entry to the Uk because of a p.p.port not being exactly right and that is an expensive experience.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim - never taken the pooch abroad and no PP for him,does that mean all we have to do is get him jabbed for rabies and get PP 21 days before leaving and just bring him back or is there more to it ?

terry

Hi Terry

we haven't taken ours abroad yet either but that's the way I read it .. sounds too easy .. best check with the vet

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back