Aug 23, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Two years
:helpsos::helptitanic::help:

As hubby is on the verge of taking his shotgun to the aerial/tv/freeview box in the MH I thought is maybe time to ask for some friendly MHF advice!

We have the old Status 315 that does NOT say digital on it with the Visionplus VP1 amplifier that also does NOT say digital on it.

Does this make a difference missing one small word to the newer ones?!!

When we are on site out and about we can either get a perfect picture on BBC channels or a perfect picture on ITV channels but never both!
The one that doesnt work stutters and we get a broken picture - even more so if one of us remotely moves!

We have to resort to getting out the external aerial to pick up the missing ones and then change it again if we change channels - not a proper one - you know the one you would usually stick on your TV; and the have to hang it on the back cycle rack which I think looks very attractive and a little like a gypsy van (I worry in case I am asked for lucky heather and have none)

We have bought a new Freeview box today - still the same, new cables - still the same so we are thinking now it must be the crappy ariel?

So.... is it because it doesnt say DIGITAL on it that it is extra special crappy or just because it IS extra special crappy?

I am thinking about:-
a) Replacing it with a Status 530/540 but will this solve the problem?

b) Letting hubby at it with the shotgun Link Removed but think it may make a mess :cry:of which I will end up tidying up or ..

c) Take up stamp collecting or knitting but at 45 I am feeling it is a little
before my time and I do like Emmerdale!

Any advice will as usual be greatly received and hopefully understood!:thumb:

:thanks2:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
First of all an aerial is an aerial. There is no such thing as an analogue-only or digital-only aerial.

What does differ is the signal strength and direction. Normally, in any given location, all terrestrial channels come from the same transmitter. The reason why BBC might be good whilst ITV is rubbish is probably down to different strength of transmission (probably from separate multiplexers in the case of digital channels.

In general, directional aerials (sufficiently elevated and properly lined up) produce better results than the omni-directional Status 315 but, depending on location, we have had excellent results from our Status 315 as well as very poor ones. We have also had varying results from a directional (Vision Plus) aerial.

We have a camping satellite kit bought from Aldi which provides more consistent results.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Sneezles the 315 is a omni directional and as you say considered crap :RollEyes: but it is said that when they bump up the signal they may come into there own again :thumb:You say you get a picture so it is working - usually using a free-view box you will get a perfect picture or none at all -- the 530 is a directional one and so is the 540 with a longer pole :thumb:Execlent kit Both need to be turned manually for a signal -- look where the other Ariel around you are pointing :winky::thumb:When you re tune your FV box do a first time installation and it will find all the channels available
terry

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
I also have a 315 and get great results in almost all locations. According to Status it is the colour of the graffics on the aerial and booster that makes the difference. They claim that the graffics should be orange for digital and not blue but I have blue with a booster box that dates it back to 1997 well before digital was talked about and as said I get a great picture and loads of channels.
Have you tried the booster in low and high setting and even on or off. Several combinations to work on.

OP
OP
Sneezles

Sneezles

Free Member
Aug 23, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Two years
Wildman - might be worth a try, thanks.

GJH - I thought that but keep hearing people argueing that there is a difference! We looked at one of those satellite kits in a suitcase but if you could see us setting up a normal TV you would understand why we didnt get one! Thanks

Terry, that makes sense, maybe the 540 would be better, just didnt want to part with £130 and find out that it another waste! We do retune every time we get somewhere, we can actually manage that! Thanks

Paulmold - ours is the blue lettered one and yes we have tried on low and normal, we used to get a good signal thats why I wondered if the signal had changed. Thanks

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
There is no difference at all between analogue and digital aerials - all just a scam! I proved this point to a friend by using a 20 year old aerial out of a knacked caravan and plugging in to receive perfect digital pictures.

Not had any problems with our status (540) directional - in fact it doesn't always need to be up or pointing in any direction for a perfect signal - even under a tree in the yard!

You may be some difficulties or loss of channels in a hilly area - I have experienced this a few times....but there are things like the aldi sat dish, which you could use to overcome these 'iffy' spots. I have only had difficulties twice, one of those was a late night stops under a large mountain for overnighting - so made do with a fuzzy 5 for the news.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I used one of these on my last van, not directional and brilliantLink Removed

Are you sure - says "unidirectional" and looks directional. Maybe in haste and with the weight of the chat room bearing down on your broad shoulders you thought you saw "omnidirectional".

Good value !

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Are you sure - says "unidirectional" and looks directional. Maybe in haste and with the weight of the chat room bearing down on your broad shoulders you thought you saw "omnidirectional".

Good value !

Not so sure I don't think they come with pole, grommets etc for internal fitting unlike the 535/540 that comes complete :winky: I could be wrong so it needs checking :ROFLMAO:
terry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not so sure I don't think they come with pole, grommets etc for internal fitting unlike the 535/540 that comes complete :winky: I could be wrong so it needs checking :ROFLMAO:
terry

Quite right. No way you'd make it internally controlled.

I took this advice, well pleased:

Link Removed

Nov 23, 2015
Ramsey, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Montana
Exp
I'm a newbie
Can anyone give me some advise on the removal of the very old 315 aerial please?
The roof of my MH 1998 Auto Trail is not bonded as far as I can tell and I don't think its aluminium.
Therefore I think I must proceed with caution!
Any help/suggestions most welcome.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Can anyone give me some advise on the removal of the very old 315 aerial please?
The roof of my MH 1998 Auto Trail is not bonded as far as I can tell and I don't think its aluminium.
Therefore I think I must proceed with caution!
Any help/suggestions most welcome.
Hi remove any screws and cut through seal with a wire or sharpened scraper ---clean and fit/stick a plate over the hole --Puraflex 40 from toolstaion will seal and stick the plate ;)(y)
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back