LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
We have a new motorhome on order and noticed that the demonstration model did not have a fire extinquisher, when we mentioned this they said that a smoke alarm was fitted as standard, not an extinguisher.

Is this normal??

Ginny

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Extinguishers are not expensive. We have one by each door. I don't think they are normally fitted as standard on many new vans though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We have a new motorhome on order and noticed that the demonstration model did not have a fire extinquisher, when we mentioned this they said that a smoke alarm was fitted as standard, not an extinguisher.

Is this normal??

Ginny

When we bought our Autocruise last year it didn't come with an extinguisher & I forgot to squeeze the dealer for one.

However, they are not very expensive fortunately.

Enjoy your new m/h

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We didn't have one in our new van but we bought one in halfords for £15 should have got one in Aldi when they were on offer.
They did tell us about our existing one being out of date though while they did a habitation check, so had to get a new one, we hadnt noticed!:RollEyes:

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
Just bought 2 x 2kg ABC (with wall brackets) + fire blanket off fleabay £40 inc p+p, brand new date stamped 2011

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
No extinguisher with my van, but there again, they didn't even supply a spate wheel :RollEyes::Smile:

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
We didn't have one in our new van but we bought one in halfords for £15 should have got one in Aldi when they were on offer.
They did tell us about our existing one being out of date though while they did a habitation check, so had to get a new one, we hadnt noticed!:RollEyes:

We didn't even realise they were date stamped!! How long do they last??

Ginny

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Most casings are usually good for five years or more, its generally stamped on the bottle base somewhere. Almost all industrial fire extinguishers have a gauge fitted these days not sure about the small ones people buy. It indicates that the propellant is still full, nothing else! they are usually a CO2 canister (a bit like a soda stream cartridge but larger) extinguishers should be visually inspected regularly and serviced annually!!

For kitchen fires you would be better off with a fire blanket to smother the flames

The best advice I can give (as a fire warden not a trained fire fighter) is to make sure you keep your exits clear, if your doors are locked at night know exactly where the keys are, and if a fire does start get out as fast as humanly possible!!!!

Most people who die in fires are killed by inhaling toxic fumes not by flames.

One other point to make is that most people do not know how to use a fire extinguisher properly in the case of water type extinguishers mosr people would pull the pin and squeeze the trigger hard, this generally results in water pressure from the extinguisher blowing stuff everywhere, you can by squeezing the trigger gently regulate the flow.

Hope this helps.:thumb::thumb:
Pete

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
One other point to make is that most people do not know how to use a fire extinguisher properly in the case of water type extinguishers mosr people would pull the pin and squeeze the trigger hard, this generally results in water pressure from the extinguisher blowing stuff everywhere, you can by squeezing the trigger gently regulate the flow.

Hope this helps.:thumb::thumb:
Pete

and can i add by saying, NEVER use a water type extinquisher if there is any chance of mains (230v) voltages present.

might as well die in the fire :Eeek:

and buy the biggest you can afford, and have space for.

small ones just dont have the capacity....a 750g/1kg probably wont even be enough for a decent engine fire, never mind an internal fire.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
We got a fire extinguisher and a blanket in ours the extinguisher is behind the passenger seat and the blanket is on the inside of the wardrobe door.

We had it on the bed to start but I found it a bit rough on me skin hehehe:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have a couple of extinguishers on the shelf ,,

For members of Fun a tenner a go including postage within the UK

Only got the two so first come first served :thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I had my regular visit from the local fire officer who recommended the use of foam extinguishers in my RV. They are suitable for use where electricity is present and in the event of successfully putting the fire out your pride and joy is not full of loads of white powder.
I always carry two, one in habitation and one in the driving area.

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
Are you sure that's not the expiry date:ROFLMAO:

Each has a sticker label with empty date boxes to be filled in on yearly check and they have the visible gauge on the top with 2 red sectors and green area to indicate condition of propellant, At the end of the day you do what is reasonable but its insured and I'm not emotionaly attached to any vehicle, stood and watched my Merc SL go up in flames a couple of years ago, 3 weeks later with a large cheque in hand I was off to buy another toy :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back