Restrictions on taking food across the channel (1 Viewer)

Slackhouse

Free Member
Sep 19, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
Exp
One
Hi - we are off to France at the weekend and just preparing our initial supplies to take with us. Are there any restrictions on foodstuffs you can take across the channel? :Blush:

Thanks

Pete

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We always take whatever we want, never been asked what food we have in the van:Cool:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
I think there are restrictions but we've never been challenged! I always travel with a full fridge and freezer! :winky::winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi - we are off to France at the weekend and just preparing our initial supplies to take with us. Are there any restrictions on foodstuffs you can take across the channel? :Blush:

Thanks

Pete
Hi Pete,

None that we are aware of. Check out >>The DEFRA website<<. I can't find anything about takinhg food out of the UK though.

Rita has to be careful about what she eats, and so we load up the large fridge/freezer with lots of poultry, which she is able to digest without any problems. It also turns out to be very expensive in France..............apparently. I took my usual bacon, pork sausages, burgers, cheese, etc, etc, and we were checked over at this end by UK Customs, before we left. They actually looked in the fridge. :whatthe:

Now then, if "foot and mouth" was still an issue, that would be a whole different ball game. :winky:

Have a great time, and don't worry too much about taking normal foodstuffs.

Cheers for now,

Jock.

JillandPhil

Free Member
Jun 4, 2011
Telford
Funster No
MH
Eldiss
Exp
Started 2009
We have taken a few trips over to France and have never been asked about food stuffs...only if we have any extra bodies hidden in the bathroom...:roflmto: its all the EU after all.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
There may be restrictions on uncooked meat e.g. the large quantities of frozen bacon we always take. It seems next to impossible to find any authoritative information though.

We just take what we like and have never been asked about it.:thumb:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Just come back today.
The only thing I was asked was "is the van locked?" No mention of foodstuffs coming in or going out.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
We have taken the usual food stuff ie bacon, eggs , some meat veg etc with no probs, on an aircraft is a diff matter

We were once advised not to have large sharp knives etc easily seen as they would be confiscated.... right or wrong I am not sure (we did have a few sharp knives at the time in the cutlery draw ):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: but have never been stopped

have a great time

Kath

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Shouldn't think so. It isn't uncooked (and probably not meat either)
:ROFLMAO:

We once were asked by UK Customs, "Other than kitchen knives, are you carrying any offensive weapons?"
"Such as?" we asked. "Such as, a baseball bat or similar"
Neither Rita nor I have ever touched a baseball bat, never mind carry one in the MH. :roflmto:

Apparently, if you carry a baseball bat.............but no ball, they'll have you. :winky:

Cheers,

Jock.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
There are always items you can carry that could conceivably be used as a weapon; those enormously long metal torches for example. Even a gas spanner (the heavier duty one) would make a good club.

We all presumably carry kitchen knives (unless we always eat out) we even carry a cleaver which Shirley insists is useful, which could be used for chopping the hands off burglars I suppose.:roflmto:

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
:ROFLMAO:

We once were asked by UK Customs, "Other than kitchen knives, are you carrying any offensive weapons?"
"Such as?" we asked. "Such as, a baseball bat or similar"
Neither Rita nor I have ever touched a baseball bat, never mind carry one in the MH. :roflmto:

Apparently, if you carry a baseball bat.............but no ball, they'll have you. :winky:

Cheers,

Jock.

I carry a baseball bat ! I'd better get myself a ball to go with it then. I've never been asked if I have weapons/extra bodies hidden in the toilet or anything like that. Van wasn't checked out to see if I was carrying more dogs than I declared and I think I look dodgy :Eeek:

Richard W

Deceased RIP
Jul 29, 2010
Burwash, Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just Starting
Weapons of Minimal Destruction…

Outbound through Dover a couple of weeks ago, we were asked:
‘Have you any weapons, knives etc?’

My answer was ‘I didn’t think we needed them!’

From the guy’s expression, I guess he’s heard that one before…

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The law as i understood it a short time ago deemed that lots of things can be used as weapons, but they only become "Offensive" if used offensively. An offensive weapon like an illegal knife, carried without good excuse, knuckle dusters, sharpened steel combs etc can be deemed offensive weapons without them being used offensively. As can a baseball bat kept in a motorhome for the sole purpose of being used offensively, if the sole intention is use a weapon then its a whole new ball game:Smile: Which is why people recommend you carry a ball too:Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
never been asked about food... but

Never about food.. explosives yes, going out.. coming in explosives, drugs and any illegals..even checked the bathroom and big cupboard..gave up when he got to where Ezzie was standing.. all she was trying to do was sniff his nuts.. now thats a thought:Blush:

Bob:Eeek:

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
Last time we went to the continent, we were checked by customs in Dover going out, and the man asked if we took tea with us, because people take silly things with them :)

Neither of us drinks tea, so no tea but we did have tea back as my auntie in Essex loves some tea that can only be bought in my Danish hometown :ROFLMAO:

Rasmus

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back