Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have a 2009 Escape 664,which I now understand has a lightweight chassis and Swift do not advise fitting a towbar.However Total fitted one earlier this year, Any comments?:Sad:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
it could be not recomended because you don't have the payload to tow anything, or it could be the lightweight chassis is not up to the loads imposed by towing. Should you have a problem your insurance will most likely be considered void as the manufacturers do not recomend fitting a tow bar so the vehicle has become non standard construction if you were towing at the time or not.:cry:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
As I understand it, providing the chassis has been EXTENDED by the installer, you should be OK, you cannot just bolt a towbar on the back end.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnson

Free Member
Aug 7, 2009
Hungerford
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
3 years
Swift Escape Towbar

Found the following from another motorhome site (Googled Swift Escape Towbar)

seems to be a definitive answer?

Message from a Swift (2009)

To clarify our position the Escape is fitted with lightweight chassis extensions (not a lightweight chassis), with lightweight chassis extensions the vehicle is not suitable for towing.

It is possible to replace the lightweight chassis extensions with heavy duty ones, which are suitable for towing with the fitment of a tow bar. However, the reason for not fitting heavy duty extensions is due to the available payload on the base vehicle Motorhome (a typical tow bar that weighs 35KG, and the heavy duty extensions add 10KG without any towing loads or noseloads being allowed for).

We are aware of some manufacturers who build their vehicles with heavy duty extensions which technically could tow but in reality don’t have the payload allowance available to do so. We therefore would recommend that the payloads are considered when choosing a vehicle suitable for towing. In addition the towing limits set by a manufacturer should take into account the rear overhang in the calculation as it is not as simple as setting the towing limit by deducting gross towing vehicle weight from the train weight.

OP
OP
Geoffers

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
First of all thanks for all the comments, got into a bit of a panic after reading about Escape towing on another Forum.But:ROFLMAO: After further inspection I think I am OK, see if you agree?

The Plate in the cab Quotes...............
3500kg
5500kg
1-1850kg
2-2000kg.

wonder why Swift give a mass weight if it can not tow ?
The Total tow bar is a substancial piece of kit taken back to the main chassis . and plated for 65kg max nose weight & 1700kg pull.
I am towing a Panda (900kg) on a A frame so I think I will be OK:ROFLMAO:

CURLYCORNFLAKE

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
North of Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi we have an escape 664. Swift have brought out escape mark 2 recently which has the chassis extensions already.Don't know if its the same chassis until I crawl underneath one of the new ones .

I would appreciate knowing how you get on with it towing an A frame
Thanks Herb

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Geoffers

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi we have an escape 664. Swift have brought out escape mark 2 recently which has the chassis extensions already.Don't know if its the same chassis until I crawl underneath one of the new ones .

I would appreciate knowing how you get on with it towing an A frame
Thanks Herb

Hi, yes it tows fine. We have only done one trip as yet from Leicester over to the east coast,total trip 310 miles. Quite a few hills on this route but it coped OK. I was a little worried that it may have been under powered but not to bad, the added benefit was getting better fuel consumption due to the lower speed limit.::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back