Despairing traders demand action over night-time camper van parking (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Published on Friday 24 June 2011 09:18

SCARBOROUGH traders are being driven to despair by rogue camper van drivers abusing parking spaces to stay free of charge in the seaside town overnight.

At a recent meeting of the Scarborough Chamber of Trade and Commerce, members complained of dozens of camper vans using parking spaces overlooking the sea as an overnight sleeping spot, with one witness reporting as many as 50 parked on one street alone one evening.

The problem is most serious around Marine Drive to the north of the skateboard park and the West Pier car park, with camper vans regularly being spotted searching for spaces for the night.

Despite warnings that overnight parking of camper vans is not allowed, people are sleeping in their vehicles to avoid paying for hotels or using caravan parks.

Now traders are calling for more to be done to stop owners abusing the system and draining vital income from the seaside town’s tourist economy in the summer months.

Link Removed

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Just read the article and was interested in

"“While it might seem an ideal location to park up and enjoy an overnight stay, this is not what the parking spaces are designed for,” she added."

so what are they for?

Deleted User
Just read the article and was interested in

"“While it might seem an ideal location to park up and enjoy an overnight stay, this is not what the parking spaces are designed for,” she added."

so what are they for?

Possibly for "PARKING" not overnighting freeloaders

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp

So what the difference between parking your car there all day to enjoy the beach for free rather than paying to amuse the children in a play centre and parking overnight to enjoy the experience of waking up and hearing the sea?

Deleted User
The issue seems to be overnighting and avoiding paying site fees or anything else, also there is a big difference between a car and a motorhome. Motorhomes are as visually intrusive as commercial vehicles which are usually prohibited from public car parks. The best way to spoil a beauty spot is to park a motorhome on it.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
They do not deserve people visiting the place :Eeek: What would the spaces be used for at night ? nothing / empty :Doh:
A bit like town centers moaning about no one in shops but they charge an arm and a leg to park :Doh: Someday they will realize :thumb:
50 campers will spend a lot of money in the town :thumb: OK some will make there own food and drinks ::bigsmile: but chances are they will have bought fresh bread and fillings local thus helping the local shops,butchers,bakers etc:thumb:
Rather than ban /stop them parking why not charge a couple of quid ? that way no one objects to a small charge (only when they get greedy )and it is a win win :thumb:
terry

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I think the question was answered in that caravan parks are there to cater for campervans too and those parks income is being affected

copied from report

“While it might seem an ideal location to park up and enjoy an overnight stay, this is not what the parking spaces are designed for,” she added.

“But when people abuse our parking facilities they are in effect taking away income from local caravan parks which are set up specifically to cater for camper van visitors.”

It would seem more and more seaside towns are saying enough is enough when you park for free on their seafronts (I dont blame them either) but it is a shame that the councils either wont or dont want to set up aires for motorhomes. I also think site rates are on the expensive side generally more so in popular destinations but do use them when away if not at a show

Last edited:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
The issue seems to be overnighting and avoiding paying site fees or anything else, also there is a big difference between a car and a motorhome. Motorhomes are as visually intrusive as commercial vehicles which are usually prohibited from public car parks. The best way to spoil a beauty spot is to park a motorhome on it.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I totally agree that some motorhomers take liberties. I don't agree with someone taking root for days and days.

I also agree with your comment about commercial trucks. From a personal point of view it annoys me when I see 2 or 3 lorry drivers overnighting in laybys and taking up the whole layby. On the way back from the great escape the other week we had intended stopping for a nice lunch in a big layby just outside Newark on the Lincoln road. Its got lovely views but we could not find a spot as there were about 10 big lorries parked up, its a beauty spot, not a truck stop! ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Oh well, we drove on and found another down the road.

I love seeing motorhomes enjoying the beauty of the land. I don't agree that a few parking up overnight spoil them.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
They do not deserve people visiting the place :Eeek: What would the spaces be used for at night ? nothing / empty :Doh:
A bit like town centers moaning about no one in shops but they charge an arm and a leg to park :Doh: Someday they will realize :thumb:
50 campers will spend a lot of money in the town :thumb: OK some will make there own food and drinks ::bigsmile: but chances are they will have bought fresh bread and fillings local thus helping the local shops,butchers,bakers etc:thumb:
Rather than ban /stop them parking why not charge a couple of quid ? that way no one objects to a small charge (only when they get greedy )and it is a win win :thumb:
terry

Good one Terry. I would rather pay a few pounds to go towards the civic costs and maybe help upkeep the beauty spots rather than pay £20 - £30 a night to make a site owner wealthy. Whoops thats a bit aggressive of me :Blush::Blush:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I always thought the idea was to encourage visitors :ROFLMAO: :thumb:
a bit like yesterday,in M&S bought a chicken and bacon sarnie (£2.50)absolutely awful :cry: should have taken it back but now will never buy another :ROFLMAO: Did not even give it to the dog ::bigsmile: just binned it :Eeek:
terry

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Live and let live !!

Lorry drivers are, by law, restricted to the amount of hours permitted to drive before a mandatory rest stop is required ! There are not many truck stops in the UK any more, so a lay bye is the obvious choice !! At least you had the choice of moving on, drivers often do not have that choice !!
There are many parking areas that limit the weight of a vehicle therefore again restricting permitted parking areas ! :Doh:

Deleted User
Lorries are essential to the economy of this country, they are also strictly regulated. Drivers hours are limited and severe penalties are imposed for infringements. Lay byes are there for everyone to use and CV drivers have to park where they legally can to take legally enforced breaks, believe me most drivers do not relish overnighting in lay byes. Motorway service areas now charge up to £25 a night for parking, when you can find a space, lorry parks have been closed and new ones refused permission because of 'nimby' locals.
So sorry that drivers taking essential breaks in the only places available spoiled your picnic with a view.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Published on Friday 24 June 2011 09:18

SCARBOROUGH traders are being driven to despair by rogue camper van drivers abusing parking spaces to stay free of charge in the seaside town overnight.

At a recent meeting of the Scarborough Chamber of Trade and Commerce, members complained of dozens of camper vans using parking spaces overlooking the sea as an overnight sleeping spot, with one witness reporting as many as 50 parked on one street alone one evening.

The problem is most serious around Marine Drive to the north of the skateboard park and the West Pier car park, with camper vans regularly being spotted searching for spaces for the night.

Despite warnings that overnight parking of camper vans is not allowed, people are sleeping in their vehicles to avoid paying for hotels or using caravan parks.

Now traders are calling for more to be done to stop owners abusing the system and draining vital income from the seaside town’s tourist economy in the summer months.

Link Removed

How typical of most of our local councils; why not be forward thinking like the councils in Derbyshire who allow overnight parking in their carparks from 8.00 pm - 8.00am for a nominal £1 per night. The councuil benefit, the motorhomers benefit and the town receives the benefit of happy holiday makers who are much more likely to spend money in the town.

We have just returned from France having used aires and always took on board the comment in the Aires site list reminding us these facilities are provided to encourage holiday makers into the town, so make sure you spend money in the town.
So come on councillors think bigger and wider and especially if you are in a tourist area, remember money spent on car parking does not go through the commercial system providing income for businesses totally dependant on holidaymakers.
Forcing MH'ers pay for facilities they do not want or need will drive many away - just as the caravan sites are driving away large RV's with their length retsrictions.

Norman

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Lorries are essential to the economy of this country, they are also strictly regulated. Drivers hours are limited and severe penalties are imposed for infringements. Lay byes are there for everyone to use and CV drivers have to park where they legally can to take legally enforced breaks, believe me most drivers do not relish overnighting in lay byes. Motorway service areas now charge up to £25 a night for parking, when you can find a space, lorry parks have been closed and new ones refused permission because of 'nimby' locals.
So sorry that drivers taking essential breaks in the only places available spoiled your picnic with a view.

Yep totally agree and my earlier post was a little tongue in cheek to check out the reaction, sorry about that ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

So whats the difference to what you say about lorry drivers and motorhomers. Parking is there for all. I think if there is a stretch of road that allows parking without the vehicle causing obstruction to others then it should be there for parking. If its safe during the day and is lit its safe overnight. Campsites want £25 a night to be cramped in, I saw an advert in the CCC magazine the other day saying £40 during the school holidays!!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
we have had this before. I and many others who free park are not freeloaders. Coming from the South West I pay exhorbitant rates so that the rest of the country can come and visit our beautiful area. so please don't call me a freeloader, I find it insulting.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Campsites want £25 a night to be cramped in, I saw an advert in the CCC magazine the other day saying £40 during the school holidays!!

You are absolutely correct Stew.. and it's the main reason people freeload..

Forget the excuse of waking up to a pretty view etc.. it's all down to money .. but that is no excuse for breaking the law, there are thousands of excellent Cl/CS sites for around a tenner.. but clearly even that is too much for some .

As for spending money in the local community, that is a a load of bull, most will stock up with food and drink at a supermarket before looking for a free parking spot and spend little in the local shops.

The cost of camping sites should be factored in to the cost of buying/running a motorhome.. it's not a cheap holiday or hobby..

Have a look at some of the prices abroad .. £25 would be cheap .. I looked at one the other day in France in July and it was more than €60 .. yes sixty euro per night.. :whatthe:
Too rich for me, and I suspect for many others, so I would look for a low amenity site, aire, or municipal ..

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
err the supermarket is a local shop, and pay rates to the local community same as smaller shops.

it's the local small traders who are complaining , not the out of town supermarkets.. Not many supermarkets are in town centres ..

We always stock up, (as I suspect most do ) with food and fuel at a local supermarket before leaving, and while en route, look for an out of town supermarket to re stock .. simply because it's cheaper and more convenient ..

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

Forget the excuse of waking up to a pretty view etc.. it's all down to money .. but that is no excuse for breaking the law, there are thousands of excellent Cl/CS sites for around a tenner.. but clearly even that is too much for some .

As for spending money in the local community, that is a a load of bull, most will stock up with food and drink at a supermarket before looking for a free parking spot and spend little in the local shops.

The cost of camping sites should be factored in to the cost of buying/running a motorhome.. it's not a cheap holiday or hobby..

Have a look at some of the prices abroad .. £25 would be cheap .. I looked at one the other day in France in July and it was more than €60 .. yes sixty euro per night.. :whatthe:
Too rich for me, and I suspect for many others, so I would look for a low amenity site, aire, or municipal ..

Sorry Jim I disagree -- we spend a fortune both in local shops including supermarkets :winky: restaurants, cafes, chippy :ROFLMAO: and pubs ::bigsmile: We also use sites a lot more than wild.We also take far too much grub with us and bring most of it back.
terry

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Sorry Jim I disagree -- we spend a fortune both in local shops including supermarkets :winky: restaurants, cafes, chippy :ROFLMAO: and pubs ::bigsmile: We also use sites a lot more than wild.We also take far too much grub with us and bring most of it back.
terry

I'm sure you do Terry, but if this were true of everyone who parked up the local shops would not be complaining ... would they ?

note.. it is not the council who are making waves..

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
it's the local small traders who are complaining , not the out of town supermarkets.. Not many supermarkets are in town centres ..

sorry Jim its not the local shopkeepers its the campsite owners complaining. Local shops will always benefit, unless of course parking is restricted from 8pm-8am when the small shops are closed anyway, if so what have they to complain about. as for spoiling the view as mentioned by someone else you don't have much of a view in the dark. It is down to the campsite owners getting greedy.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time

Its a case of supply and demand. The French season is July and August, it is then that prices are sky high. At other times of the year they reduce their rate to get people to use the site. I have stayed on French site in May for no more than would be charged by a CL in the UK.

The UK has a long season Easter to October with May to September as peak and demand for sites is high so prices remain high for longer.

The point that has been missed in this debate on Scarborough is that one of the influential councillors is a relative of a caravan site owner and this debate has been going on for a number of years.

Scarbourough has a very large "park and ride" car park that is empty at night, but refuses to allow motorhomes to park there overnight. This is not a place that would not spoil anyones view.
To me ranks of static holiday homes are more visually despoiling along the coast, than a few Motorhome parked in a few car parks.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp

We used to go to the supermarkets but they are so expensive. Its all in the bottom line. You might get a loaf of bread for £1 rather than £1.50 but you try going into a supermarket and jsut buying a loaf of bread ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

So you decide you want to go camping this weekend. You search for CCC big book. You find it, you decided where you want to go and search for a cs. There isn't one so you then think about where else you can go and fit in with the cs (or cl) sites. You try to phone one and they do not answer the phone. Eventually you get through to someone, who is maybe 50 miles from where you first wanted to go to and off you go. You enjoy yourself and then go to the camp to find the cs owner has cramped 12 vans into a 5 van site because he has to make a living you know. He says he thought your were going to be a no show because its now 7.30pm and he has a life you know too. Could you not have dragged your kids off the beach mid afternoon and gone to the site. Oh and can you keep the kids quiet because this is a campsite for all etc etc etc etc

wildcamping is about freedom not freeloading......

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
wildcamping is about freedom not freeloading......

Absolutely, provided it is within the law...

I am not against responsible wild camping Stew , and wouldn't call anyone a freeloader who was parked up for a night at a remote beauty spot ... I have done that many times.

but I am against freeloaders who think it is their right to park up wherever they want, annoy locals and ignore parking regulations.. they only do a disservice to us all..

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Absolutely, provided it is within the law...

I am not against responsible wild camping Stew , and wouldn't call anyone a freeloader who was parked up for a night at a remote beauty spot ... I have done that many times.

but I am against freeloaders who think it is their right to park up wherever they want, annoy locals and ignore parking regulations.. they only do a disservice to us all..

I am totally in agreement with you Jim but thats a different discussion. Isn't this one about local campsite owners trying to influence the local council into giving them the monopoly on where motorhomes can park despite the fact that they are currently parking legally:winky:

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
How typical of most of our local councils; why not be forward thinking like the councils in Derbyshire who allow overnight parking in their carparks from 8.00 pm - 8.00am for a nominal £1 per night. The councuil benefit, the motorhomers benefit and the town receives the benefit of happy holiday makers who are much more likely to spend money in the town.

Norman, I'm with you 100% however I would imagine the only problem with your idea is it would more than likely cost more to collect the parking fees in wages than they would collect. :Sad:

Mick

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I am totally in agreement with you Jim but thats a different discussion. Isn't this one about local campsite owners trying to influence the local council into giving them the monopoly on where motorhomes can park despite the fact that they are currently parking legally:winky:

It's NOT the council who are bitching

At a recent meeting of the [HI]Scarborough Chamber of Trade and Commerce, [/HI]members complained of dozens of camper vans using parking spaces overlooking the sea as an overnight sleeping spot, with one witness reporting as many as 50 parked on one street alone one evening.

and they ARE parked illegally
Despite warnings that [HI]overnight parking of camper vans is not allowed[/HI], people are sleeping in their vehicles to avoid paying for hotels or using caravan parks.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
If they are parked illegally then why don't they simply get someone to ticket the vehicles illegally parked? That would soon resolved the problem as word would get around and no-one likes having to pay a parking ticket. Or is the "no overnight parking" not actually legally enforceable for some reason or other .......

I suspect that there is a bit more to this than meets the eye as logically the council would have enforced it years ago and it wouldn't still be an issue

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
If they are parked illegally then why don't they simply get someone to ticket the vehicles illegally parked? That would soon resolved the problem as word would get around and no-one likes having to pay a parking ticket. Or is the "no overnight parking" not actually legally enforceable for some reason or other .......

I suspect that there is a bit more to this than meets the eye as logically the council would have enforced it years ago and it wouldn't still be an issue

I also suspect that is the case. Jim, its the local council who will have to be influenced in the end. I know the council are not moaning, did I say they were? The chamber of trade cannot stop people parking.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
High time that somebody spoke to The chamber of trade then and put arguments forward that not all motor-homers are free loaders and do spend money locally :winky: Both they and local council should be encouraging tourism and if this means using a empty car park at night so be it :thumb:They could easy get a council car park guy to collect a couple of quid either next morning or night before
Perhaps PPJ can give them a word :ROFLMAO::winky:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back