May 30, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 days
Hi,

We have to go to the passport office in Leeds on Saturday and are thinking of taking the m/h to make a weekend of it.... but does anyone know where I can park the m/h (its 29 foot long) near the passport office?

I've had a look an motorhome friendly parking but cant find anywhere listed.

Thanks

Des

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I wouldn't even attempt it Des. Parking in Leeds is pretty much of a nightmare with a car never mind a motorhome. The one way system is a swine as well. We never seem to go in or out the same way twice.

It always amazes me that the council has never set up any P&R sites - but when I've asked them about it they have been totally uninterested. Yet they moan about commuter vehicle congestion and put in guided bus lanes and special lanes for cars with passengers.

An alternative might be to see if you can find a site not too far away on a bus or train route and use public transport to get into the city.

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
We went to Leeds a couple of weeks ago (the kids wanted to watch Tom Daley Diving) and we thought we'd drop 'em off and then find somewhere to park up. Headed for the town centre and impossible to park up and do some shopping.
First time in Leeds and the only way to describe the place is its a big Sh*t hole. Horrible and dirty. Urgghh. Makes me shiver just thinking about the place.
We ended up heading north out of town through some disgusting dirty districts and finally stopped in a country lane an camped up for the day.
Never going back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Only been there in the car, that's bad enough........

How anywhere can be so bad is amazing, a testament to bureaucratic bungling in city planning..

Best find somewhere outside near a train or bus route.....

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
Why don't you go to York and take the train in?
Or Ilkley, Otley, Skipton and take the train. There's lots of places to go outside of Leeds.

OP
OP
Tommy_harry

Tommy_harry

Free Member
May 30, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 days
The appointment is for my mother in law and even though its not far from the station to the passport office its still a bit far for my mother in law to walk as she is none too clever on her feet..

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Thanks for the information..... looks like its a day out in the car then....

:Sad::Sad::Sad:

What I do when I want to go into Leeds is leave my car (or motorhome) at New Pudsey railway station on the ring-road on the east side, directly between Leeds and Bradford - they have a big free car park - and take the commuter train into Leeds - a ten minute journey every 20 minutes (I think). As a bonus there is Owlcotes shopping centre (M & S and a huge Asda/Wal-Mart) literally next door where there is an even bigger car park with a pedestrianway direct to the station. No silly parking charges or restrictions, either, and easy access for even the largest RV.

I agree that Leeds is a nightmare for cars and their one-way 'loop' system is plainly ridiculous and conceived by someone who was obviously paid far too much! But I don't agree that it's a dark, dirty and unpleasant city - far from it. It's a great shopping centre - alive and vibrant - and if you like ancient city London style lunch-pubs, seek out Whitelocks down one of the oldest and llisted back-alleys just off the main shopping centre. It's all pedestrianised in the centre, anyway, so your car would be of no use in the most interesting places.

Where's the passport office?

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
Had many a cornish pasty for lunch in Whitlocks.

OP
OP
Tommy_harry

Tommy_harry

Free Member
May 30, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 days
Its in Park Place (runs alongside Wellington Street)

And I must agree with you Leeds is a lovely city... had a long weekend their last year and really enjoyed the place

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back