Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi, All seen a little blue genny at Belvoir meet, being used by a tugger it was very quiet and I was quite impressed with it has anyone in our ranks got one ? if so what are your thoughts on these, it was the suitcase type the smallest version I think it was the 1000 si :winky: I am going to buy a new one very soon so any advice would be welcomed thanks:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
not behind me

I was parked directly behind you at belvoir castle was your generator boring :Smile:

I had the hedgerow behind me and there was an RV on the other side of the hedgerow with a very very loud Kipor .. drove us around the bend from 8 a.m. to late each day.

I make no excuses.. I use my generator to charge my two scooters (Disabled type).. I can also claim it is one of the less loud generators being an Onan Microlight built in to the chassis and has an outer sound proof hatch.. the exhaust also has an after kit added (when in use) Venturi a) to take the exhaust up and away from the roof (exhaust pipe to above roof height) and b) it is a sound retarder unit... I can sit beside my RV and chat without raising my voice. Oh yes it is 4 kw... bigger and not as loud as a normal Kipor or most Honda's as most people that say hello at the shows to us would know when it is running........... so where were you at Belviour?:Blush:

But the subject has been done to death.. anyone that has a generator is going to make all the claims they want to say that there one is the best....:cry::cry::Sad:

Bob:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Bob, I appreciate the need for your gennys, what I asked for is in the title and yes I know that some body was parked alongside the hedge which you were next to and their genny was quite noisyand on for most of the time I was in the autotrail cheyenne and spent most of my time at the show and at the concerts this was my first meet with fun therefore I didnt know any body but I did have a good chat with rick motoroamin who was a very amiable chap, I am a somewhat shy type
:Blush: but I only asked for advice
Mike.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
well next show say hello

Bob, I appreciate the need for your gennys, what I asked for is in the title and yes I know that some body was parked alongside the hedge which you were next to and their genny was quite noisyand on for most of the time I was in the autotrail cheyenne and spent most of my time at the show and at the concerts this was my first meet with fun therefore I didnt know any body but I did have a good chat with rick motoroamin who was a very amiable chap, I am a somewhat shy type
:Blush: but I only asked for advice
Mike.

Well Mike next time I expect you to come and pull a face at me or at least say hello.. as you know I was parked beside Rick.. good mate he is... I will not argue the pros and cons of generators..been done to many times on this forum and the RVOC.. but you will find most RV's do have them as standard kit and will use them as most of our equipment on board requires power which is not provided by the batteries. Although I do have a 1500 watt pure wave inverter fitted.

As I am sure you saw Smudger in his Winnebago the otherside of Ricks HR he had a Honda outside to charge is power chair.. Bill and Nigel (Marshall's) did try and keep the RV's to one end of the area we parked due to size and I suspect that they know we will be using generators at sometime. I know none of us run them outside the show times allowed. In fact I was sure not to even run mine before 9 a.m. and hour later than allowed.

But please next show came and say hi.. we do not bite and let us introduce you to a few of the usual suspects.. you will have a great time once you get to know them.... I think there was more complaints about my Ukelele playing than the genny.

Bob:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
p.s get whats is good for you

Sorry.. p.s buy what is good for you.. weight, size and output v also cost of running.. Honda seem to be one of the best in my view.. often the cheaper smalled generators do not work well or last long.

When at a show, visit one of the delaers and ask him to run several at the same time so you get an idea of the sound and what output they have.. sorry to have missed the point you were trying to make.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi Mike, Not sure about the Hyundi, but will be as good as any (other than Honda of course :winky:) yamaha do a nice unit as well which is good and Quiet, and you may also want to consider a briggs and Stratton.

There is at least one (or two) listed for the bring and buy this weekend. Why not pop down? only 1/2 hour from you :thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Mike, ignore them, they didn't find the genny threads boring when they were learning about them:Smile: Things I've learned about gennies is..

• Honda, Hyundai or Kippor, if they are not yours and you are trying to sleep they are all as loud as one another
  • Honda, Hyundai or Kippor, under load they are all as loud as one another, though all have a different tone, with maybe the Honda being the less urgent of the three
  • Honda, Hyundai or Kippor, When not under load, say if they are just charging your batteries, the Honda is quietest by quite a bit.
  • Gennies are a pain, noise, smell, carrying, fuel and hard to safely stow
  • If you arent going to use it very regularly, don't buy a cheap one but if you have to, don't neglect it and start it every couple of weeks and put it under load once a month.
  • In winter when not on hook up they can be essential, that said I have over 40 nights in ours since January and not once have I needed the Genny (or a hook up)
Often neglected is the purchase of another battery which will instantly double the time you can be away from a hook up Or you could get a roof full of panels like me, but even with those, in winter if you watch tv etc you will need a genny you are a long time between hookups. My advice, save for a Honda:Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I rest my case.. said Honda

Hi Mike, ignore them, they didn't find the genny threads boring when they were learning about them:Smile: Things I've learned about gennies is..

• Honda, Hyundai or Kippor, if they are not yours and you are trying to sleep they are all as loud as one another
  • Honda, Hyundai or Kippor, under load they are all as loud as one another, though all have a different tone, with maybe the Honda being the less urgent of the three
  • Honda, Hyundai or Kippor, When not under load, say if they are just charging your batteries, the Honda is quietest by quite a bit.
  • Gennies are a pain, noise, smell, carrying, fuel and hard to safely stow
  • If you arent going to use it very regularly, don't buy a cheap one but if you have to, don't neglect it and start it every couple of weeks and put it under load once a month.
  • In winter when not on hook up they can be essential, that said I have over 40 nights in ours since January and not once have I needed the Genny (or a hook up)
Often neglected is the purchase of another battery which will instantly double the time you can be away from a hook up Or you could get a roof full of panels like me, but even with those, in winter if you watch tv etc you will need a genny you are a long time between hookups. My advice, save for a Honda:Smile:

I rest my case m'lud.. I said Honda.. just did not want to have the debate about sound and size.. but then we have, haven't we Jim:Blush:

Be fair.. you may not have used the genny in the Hymer.. but what about last year in the RV:RollEyes::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Kippor ?

JJ are you by any chance a football fan ? and shouldnt it be a kippax ah yes but you have moved now to the new stadium the chicken factory
mike :shout:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
gennys

Good advice from Jim, I make a point of running ours at least once a month under load but often wonder how long it sat in the dealers waiting for me to buy it and not running at all.

Honda make a good bit of kit but it is twice the price of a Kipor, there`s good and bad in both makes I don`t see why a Kipor shouldn`t run for as long as a honda if you look after it.
We get by through the summer with solar panels but we aren`t heavy uses, don`t watch the tele much, all lighting is LED.
So it`s up to you and how much you want to spend.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
JJ are you by any chance a football fan ? and shouldnt it be a kippax ah yes but you have moved now to the new stadium the chicken factory
mike :shout:

You are so right young man!!!

I have been known to go to the odd match or two...

...and sponsor the odd non-league team...

Kippax it should be, was, and will ever be in my heart... :thumb:

But Eastlands will have to do for now...

JJ :thumb:

For what it is worth, I carry a generator along with my four solar panels... belt and braces I say... and the genny is great for the power tools when doing van improvements...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Good advice from Jim, I make a point of running ours at least once a month under load but often wonder how long it sat in the dealers waiting for me to buy it and not running at all.

Honda make a good bit of kit but it is twice the price of a Kipor, there`s good and bad in both makes I don`t see why a Kipor shouldn`t run for as long as a honda if you look after it.
We get by through the summer with solar panels but we aren`t heavy uses, don`t watch the tele much, all lighting is LED.
So it`s up to you and how much you want to spend.

as a defunct kipor owner i can tell you why they dont.....cheap, inferior chinese parts.
engine spot on...electronics crap.

mine (IG2600) was £420 new
approx 40 hours running time later (and well out of guarantee) it needs a new invertor board....cheapest i can find is £299.:Angry:

no warranty on new boards either....which says a lot for the quality.

other folks have had kipors for years without trouble, all i can say is they're the lucky ones :Eeek:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
as a defunct kipor owner i can tell you why they dont.....cheap, inferior chinese parts.
engine spot on...electronics crap.

mine (IG2600) was £420 new
approx 40 hours running time later (and well out of guarantee) it needs a new invertor board....cheapest i can find is £299.:Angry:

no warranty on new boards either....which says a lot for the quality.

other folks have had kipors for years without trouble, all i can say is they're the lucky ones :Eeek:

As I said good and bad in both, hope my invertor board last longer than 40 hrs, (touches wood) :RollEyes:

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
You are so right young man!!!

I have been known to go to the odd match or two...

...and sponsor the odd non-league team...

Kippax it should be, was, and will ever be in my heart... :thumb:

But Eastlands will have to do for now...

JJ :thumb:

For what it is worth, I carry a generator along with my four solar panels... belt and braces I say... and the genny is great for the power tools when doing van improvements...

Are you coming back for the home games.from a Pompy supporter :Smile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am sorry that Pappajohn had a bad experience with his Kipor and had I had the same experience with mine I would, no doubt, feel the same but my 1000 Kipor, despite a general lack of TLC, has served me well for years and years and years.

It does have a mysterious tendency to "eat" spark plugs but it has provided the electricity to power my Fray Bentos Pie oven in the Hymer for many a feast.

Hope the little baby Kipor I bought for the Wagon runs as well and long

JJ:thumb:

PS... yes Novawight.. I plan to pop over now and then to watch the boys... both in Bath and Manchester...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back