LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We could have used an antenna in France as many sites have wi fi but you have to be near the office to get it. An antenna would have meant we could stay in the motorhome to use it. Any recommendations please? ::bigsmile:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
We could have used an antenna in France as many sites have wi fi but you have to be near the office to get it. An antenna would have meant we could stay in the motorhome to use it. Any recommendations please? ::bigsmile:

We have 2 threads running now Ken on almost this same subject. On the front list they were together when I posted this so you may have seen them.

I have done what you were trying to do on sites in southern Europe.

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
He he the other one was not there when i posted and it appeared at the same time as mine. Great minds......or......:ROFLMAO:
Paul Oderweg has one of these

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Hi

I've been using a TP-LINK High Gain booster at campsites all over Europe. Just plug in to USB port & it boosts the campsite signal so I can stay in the van. Ref: TL-WN422G 54Mbps.

Best 19 Euros I've spent. From most computer shops.

Cheers

Bill

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The best one I have seen actually working is the Repeatit... a friend of mine has used it for a couple of years.... it is designed to mount on a pole although you don't have to do so, it is weather proof and directional and expensive at around £100. It pulls in signals from over a kilometre away (and more if there is a clear line of sight. At sea they are reputed to get signals up to five kms off shore.)

I tried several times but could never get hold of one from the UK supplier Faculty-X.

The same friend says they (Faculty-X) have a newer and cheaper alternative now... I keep meaning to look it up... but I am busy sitting in the sun!

Other friends have always got much cheaper (but better) versions but I have never actually seen them working (if you know what I mean:winky:!!!)

JJ :Cool:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
The best one I have seen actually working is the Repeatit... a friend of mine has used it for a couple of years.... it is designed to mount on a pole although you don't have to do so, it is weather proof and directional and expensive at around £100. It pulls in signals from over a kilometre away (and more if there is a clear line of sight. At sea they are reputed to get signals up to five kms off shore.)

I tried several times but could never get hold of one from the UK supplier Faculty-X.

The same friend says they (Faculty-X) have a newer and cheaper alternative now... I keep meaning to look it up... but I am busy sitting in the sun!

Other friends have always got much cheaper (but better) versions but I have never actually seen them working (if you know what I mean:winky:!!!)

JJ :Cool:

Yes JJ the model you have looked at (From Viv) is now out of production, but I have the unit that replaces it and it fine for me.

Doug...

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Yes JJ the model you have looked at (From Viv) is now out of production, but I have the unit that replaces it and it fine for me.

Doug...

Hi Doug I would be very grateful if you would let me know the name and if poss a link to buy one. ::bigsmile:

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
The other unit (almost certainly the one Doug has - if not I will eat my pants) is on faculty X and is about £35. I'd suggest you budget £5-10 for an eBay type tripod/suction type mount for it.

The rocket is the simplest (360' omni directional), the other unit you need to "point" as it only has a 60' coverage, so you need to aim and rotate. OK when you can see the building you access.

I've only recommended the rocket to my dad as the other one is a bit more problematic - such that it can be annoying to use.

My silly analogy is imagine someone at teh end of a big hall. If they talk you can hear them and if you shout they hear you. (so if you shout and have an ear trumpet the range is good). Now if there are 20 people having conversations near the guy at the far end of the hall, you may be able to aim your ear trumpet at him and hear him, but if you shout back you may not be heard as the guy can't filter you from the closer jabber.

e.g. the wifi aerials work great when no one is around, but if its busy the range decreases and the reliability fails. The rocket is a good compromise, but the bigger one (we call Bertha) hears a lot, gets you excited, but sometmes just doesn't allow you to connect as the far end can't hear you back. Hence the rocket with less range works more often as the guys it connects to are closer.

The big one is Link Removed and you really need a mount similar to Link Removed (which means taking the bottom off, drilling a hole, and screwing it in). Without the mount its a PITA!

Depends how much of a geek you are! :) I've got both. I'd say I use the Rocket more and Bertha if I'm desparate. Though now I've got a 3G kindle to my Internet arsenal for when I really need emails I'm not sure how much Bertha will come out to play

Oldroadies

Free Member
Jun 21, 2009
Channel Islands
Funster No
MH
Coach built Autocruise
Exp
6 + 20 caravaning
I use one I bought off Amazon a few years ago - make is realtek, if you put a search in for wi-fi signal booster you will find loads on offer. Here is a link from the USA on Ebay which is the same as mine which is a WiFi x10 WiFi Booster Realtek Chipset 802.11g USB

Link Removed

I find it good enough most of the time and manage to pick up a signal ok when the lap tops wi-fi can't.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Ken,

I use a similar adapter to that in Oldroadies link, with the same spec, and the antenna I use is the same as this one, but purchased from WiFi Link

I had issues with supply and faulty equipment from Faculty X, which were resolved in the way of a full refund, however, most don't have those same problems, and speak very highly of them. They are very helpful with techie info when contacted.

The USB route is certainly the easiest.

Good luck with the project. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
See http://www.doyourdream.co.uk/2010/03/long-range-wi-fi-access/

The Rocket is the simplest one, and pretty much everyone I know in a campvervan has one (after seeing mine lol!).

There is a longer range one but it is directional, but the rocket omnidirectonal one is normally fine.

Hope this helps

Yes, Brilliantly. I ordered it yesterday and it arrived today. Turned off the wi-fi on my laptop and installed the disc that arrived with it. Ignored the error message that came up, plugged it in and it found all the local ones i find off my laptop wifi and a couple of others from within the house.
Took it outside and attached to MH via suckers (in quite a breeze) and fired it up. Lots more wi-fi found than before, so it obviously works. How far away these wifi connections are I have no idea, but at least if my internal wifi card gives up the ghost then with my 3 dongle there are a number of options.

Thanks for a very useful tip.

Pusser

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Bucks
Funster No
MH
A week away
Exp
On and off 1981
I've used over the past 3 years a Hawking USB direction dish HWU8DD revB. Does the job without fail and lights all around to let you know what is going on. I also found it useful in hotels as instead of having to log in the lounge, I can do so in the bedroom.

Another thingy I love is ASUS PWAP which is a router and\or an Extender and\or an Access Point and something else which I have forgotten. I got this for my Asus Transformer (amazing bit of kit) as the HiTech mobile home we go to has a Lan socket and the Transformer is only wireless and soon to be 3g too. So I plug the Tranny (echoes of Bugis Street) into the lan socket and I can then recieve wirelessly even creating a hot spot for up to 248 users. So under certain circumstances I could be useful if we have a rally, and there are 247 other vans there that would like to use the internut.

The other thing I forgot is it can simply be a network adaptor receiving wireless signals and then pushing them out either wirelessy or with lan cable.

I know this is bad form and I have stopped doing but using a vodaphone dongle when parked I find, for nothing better to do, unsecurred or woefully secured wifi routers and print out messsages on their printer for a laugh. Sometimes I would write a letter to not a real person and ask them if they could post it on for me. I know.... I need to get a life.

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Yes, Brilliantly. I ordered it yesterday and it arrived today. Turned off the wi-fi on my laptop and installed the disc that arrived with it. Ignored the error message that came up, plugged it in and it found all the local ones i find off my laptop wifi and a couple of others from within the house.
Took it outside and attached to MH via suckers (in quite a breeze) and fired it up. Lots more wi-fi found than before, so it obviously works. How far away these wifi connections are I have no idea, but at least if my internal wifi card gives up the ghost then with my 3 dongle there are a number of options.

Thanks for a very useful tip.

Excellent - glad to hear! Though everyone else I know didn't bother with the CD - Windows Vista/7 detects and installs its drivers automatically.

The higher you can get it the better - and external even better.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
I use one I bought off Amazon a few years ago - make is realtek, if you put a search in for wi-fi signal booster you will find loads on offer. Here is a link from the USA on Ebay which is the same as mine which is a WiFi x10 WiFi Booster Realtek Chipset 802.11g USB

Link Removed

I find it good enough most of the time and manage to pick up a signal ok when the lap tops wi-fi can't.

Thanks for this information, using it right now - excellent piece of kit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back