sat receiver techy help please. (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Two tv's, one up front and one in the back.

one sat dish feeding both tv's via a Quad LNB.

front tv has a zehnder receiver

bedroom tv has a 'porty' suitcase receiver.

now, the problem is i can get many more channels on the zehnder than on the old porty, including chan 4, chan 4+1, film 4 and film 4+1 among many others.

none of these are tune-able on the porty....just the basic BBC 1,2,3,4, channel 5, ITV 1,2,3,4 some + variants of these and some other channels

looking at the menu screen on the zehnder, the TP starts at 10714

on the porty it starts at 10760.

tried manually inputing the TP 10714 but wont accept it

could this be the problem ? ie the porty is so old as to be incapable of tuning.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi Pappa...

Over the years some of the transponders (TP's) and associated channels have been swopped about, especially as new channels have been added.

We have some "old" sat boxes (not "SKY" boxes) on the ship (one in each cabin) and they did not get the newer (Free) channels so we retuned the TP's and frequencies. They now get all the "Free" UK channels on Astra 28 East.

If the sat box is old it may have been "pre-tuned" a long time ago and can be out of date.

You can add transponders manually such as the 10714 which is not on your "porty" box.

You can download the latest frequencies here.. http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html

You should be able to get the channels with (F).... We do....

Then go into your sat box menus system and add the ones you want. It may on some boxes be neccessary to delete all the old ones first, then reload the TP's frequency and whether it is horizontal or vertical and 22000 or 27500, etc. from the latest info........

Hope this helps.....:thumb:

Callum

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
If the receivers have an option for NIT search or Network search, select this.
This will get the reciever to look at the frequency table on some of the frequencies it can recieve, and update the reciever with any frequencies it does not have.

If you are unable to physically add certain frequencies, then maybe the LNB settings are not correct.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Might be worth resetting the porty to the default values and re-tuning.

Our Aldi sat kit went wrong at Stratford. Working one day and not the next. We thought it may be down to an RV pitching after it was set up but weren't all that bothered about TV so left it until we came home.

Still couldn't get anything when I tried the other day so thought maybe the box had gone belly up. However, after reading this thread I've reset to default values and it's working again :thumb:

Don't know if this will help you, John, but it helped me so thanks for the thread :Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What signal strengths are you showing on the channels you are getting ?

Any change you are losing all of one polarity ?

How easy to try a different LNB output ?

Have you checked the LNB is clean and free from obstructions ?

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
This will get the reciever to look at the frequency table on some of the frequencies it can recieve, and update the reciever with any frequencies it does not have.

If you are unable to physically add certain frequencies, then maybe the LNB settings are not correct.
thanks very much for that info.....i believe the porty does have NIT search.

i'll give it a try next time the dish is set up. :thumb:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What signal strengths are you showing on the channels you are getting ?

Any change you are losing all of one polarity ?

How easy to try a different LNB output ?

Have you checked the LNB is clean and free from obstructions ?
really good signal strength and quality Brian....signal average 87%...quality average 92%

had the same problem at misterton on the old dish but the same 'porty' receiver...only getting some free channels, not all available ones.

i checked the polarity of various channels and it is recieing both vertical and horizontal

the LNB is new and has no tinfoil over it at present :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Might be worth resetting the porty to the default values and re-tuning.

Our Aldi sat kit went wrong at Stratford. Working one day and not the next. We thought it may be down to an RV pitching after it was set up but weren't all that bothered about TV so left it until we came home.

Still couldn't get anything when I tried the other day so thought maybe the box had gone belly up. However, after reading this thread I've reset to default values and it's working again :thumb:

Don't know if this will help you, John, but it helped me so thanks for the thread :Smile:
yep...tried that more than once...bugger working out the default german menu though :Doh:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Pappa...

Over the years some of the transponders (TP's) and associated channels have been swopped about, especially as new channels have been added.

We have some "old" sat boxes (not "SKY" boxes) on the ship (one in each cabin) and they did not get the newer (Free) channels so we retuned the TP's and frequencies. They now get all the "Free" UK channels on Astra 28 East.

If the sat box is old it may have been "pre-tuned" a long time ago and can be out of date.

You can add transponders manually such as the 10714 which is not on your "porty" box.

You can download the latest frequencies here.. http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html

You should be able to get the channels with (F).... We do....

Then go into your sat box menus system and add the ones you want. It may on some boxes be neccessary to delete all the old ones first, then reload the TP's frequency and whether it is horizontal or vertical and 22000 or 27500, etc. from the latest info........

Hope this helps.....:thumb:

Callum

yep....tried manually adding the 10714 TP but it just wont accept anything less than 10760 :Sad:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i would check the LNB settings on the porty and make sure they are set the same as the other one.
in the LNB type menu there should be a choice of universal , standard or user.
there are also settings for first frequency and second frequency
mine is set on universal with the first frequency set at 9750 MHz and the second at 10600 MHz
also 22khz is blanked out but off
DiSEqC is disabled
and polarity is H/V

the only way i can see the box isn't going to the lower frequencies and getting the ch4 transponder is an error in the first / second frequency settings.
although i could be completely wrong in my assumption.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i would check the LNB settings on the porty and make sure they are set the same as the other one.
in the LNB type menu there should be a choice of universal , standard or user.
there are also settings for first frequency and second frequency
mine is set on universal with the first frequency set at 9750 MHz and the second at 10600 MHz
also 22khz is blanked out but off
DiSEqC is disabled
and polarity is H/V

the only way i can see the box isn't going to the lower frequencies and getting the ch4 transponder is an error in the first / second frequency settings.
although i could be completely wrong in my assumption.
worth a recheck maybe ! :thumb:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sorted

no option for NIT but i studied the pathetic menu more closely and managed to find the correct PT setting....

now have channel 4, film 4, film 4+1, E4 etc and a couple of extra movie channels to boot :thumb:

thanks one and all for the help.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
no option for NIT but i studied the pathetic menu more closely and managed to find the correct PT setting....

now have channel 4, film 4, film 4+1, E4 etc and a couple of extra movie channels to boot :thumb:

thanks one and all for the help.

A man prepared to admit, publicly, that he has read the instructions.

John, I salute your humility and bravery and hope that all other funsters do the same :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back