What do you guys think (1 Viewer)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I know Ive said it before BUT we have finaly scrimped, saved and stolen::bigsmile: enough money to start seriously looking to buy and to that end we are going to have a look at this Link Removed

What do you guys think? is the engine man enough etc anyone got one?

Tim:thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi I dont have one or know much about them all i would say is remember as its a 4 berth if you want to take anyone away with you they will have to travel on the side facing seats i know this is allowed but not recommended especially for children even with seatbelts. Just something for you to think about.

Gerry

Gran & Rog

Free Member
Apr 17, 2011
Lofthouse, Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Eight years
we had several Auto Trails and have been very satisfied with them especial the 840D.

Good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Tim a little under powered on the hills but they have a gearbox :ROFLMAO: and you are not in a race car so enjoy :thumb:
terry
Seems a good spec and price

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
That looks ok make sure you give it a good going over before handing any cash over

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
certainly well spec's.. Would say the price is pretty well bang on the money too.. He MIGHT move a little but at the posted price he is not being overly greedy

carl65

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
North Shields Tyne & Wear
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Looks nice Van, go one buy it now and you will never look back as the song says " tomorrow may never come" so go on go on go on ! get it bought and start enjoying your motorhome

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
It says on the spec that it has 2 slide outs ?
I couldnt see them on the pics, is it just me ?
Looks in good condition though. You never know it might be the 1 for you::bigsmile:
Good luck

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Hi,

It looks a good deal to me, the price is excellent, and it's well specified. The 'slide out' issue is a non issue. It has none, so it must be an error.

The engine is well up to the job. I have a Hobby 4 berth which is heavier, and it performs very well with the same 2300cc engine (as powefull as the older 2.5 and 2.8's)- not a sports car, certainly, but it will easily cope with long hills in top gra, and cruise all day at 70 - 80 mph on the continent.

I've just returned from 6 weeks, 2,500 miles in France and it looks to have done around 32mpg (no Autoroutses, all on National roads). It used no oil and water, and it's now done 28k miles, but barely run in.

These Autotrails are quality vehicles, and are well regarded in the trade and by owners. I had a 1976 Apache (Peugeot 504 cab) and it did 80,000 before I sold it!!

Best wishes and good luck,

Doug

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Thanks Guys
Only two of us so seat belts not a problem:Smile:, jaws was wondering if it was just a little to cheap?:Cool:, thanks doug so the 2.3 is ok and I guess I can always get it remapped as well:RollEyes:.

We are also planning to see these two;
Link Removed

and

Link Removed

Any thoughts anyone???:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No, do not think it is too cheap.. Reckon it is bang on the money to be honest
Seller is being realistic and rather than hang out for a maybe tomorrow sale, is going for the 'flog it today and maybe lose a couple of bob' option

I know this option well cos it is usually what I do ... Cannot be bothered with tyre kickers so pitch a price to sell and gather the rewards so I can move on and get the next toy !

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
That van that has not reached its reserve yet.. very clever use of photography that..
I know exaclty what he has done cos I have done the same some time ago !

Nothing hidden just a good choice of lens focal length :winky:

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
That van that has not reached its reserve yet.. very clever use of photography that..
I know exaclty what he has done cos I have done the same some time ago !

Nothing hidden just a good choice of lens focal length :winky:

They just look like standard photos to me, Jaws. What is it that you think is 'very clever'? :wub:

But I have a funny feeling about this ad - apart from the 'slide outs' there are other anomalies that seem to point to the seller not knowing much about his own van. Personally I think the price is too cheap, too - I think it smacks of a 'come on'. I think it is a tad too good to be true. If it IS kosher then the OP should lose no time and snap it up - quick, before they miss it. Never mind at looking at others .... but be careful - there's a minefield out there ...

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
No, do not think it is too cheap.. Reckon it is bang on the money to be honest
Seller is being realistic and rather than hang out for a maybe tomorrow sale, is going for the 'flog it today and maybe lose a couple of bob' option

I know this option well cos it is usually what I do ... Cannot be bothered with tyre kickers so pitch a price to sell and gather the rewards so I can move on and get the next toy !

Hi Jaws
Ok yes I understand, I have been in touch in with the sellers by email and everything seems ok, but they do seem to be a little nieve, for instance when I asked if the cambelt had been done they said they didn't think it needed to be done until 60k, more than a little worrying:Doh:

By the way what is the time limit on the 2.3 cambelt??:Smile:

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
They just look like standard photos to me, Jaws. What is it that you think is 'very clever'? :wub:

Hi Squire

I think Jaws is talking about the Swift:thumb:

They do seem rather nieve but ok I think!:Blush: they have reduced it from ÂŁ21,800 apparently, Full history but the cambelt worrys me a little:Sad:

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No

Hi Squire

I think Jaws is talking about the Swift:thumb:

They do seem rather nieve but ok I think!:Blush: they have reduced it from ÂŁ21,800 apparently, Full history but the cambelt worrys me a little:Sad:

Oh - the Swift .. yes, I see it now - Jaws' reference to the reserve not being met keys it into his post. But I still don't see why the photos are 'clever'. To me they just look as if they've been taken by a standard lens without much 'wide angle'.

But anyway, the Autotrail is much the better bet in my opinion. A much nicer van all round - better quality and better layout. The cam belt change is about due anytime, I think - but nothing to worry about provided you'll have enough 'dosh' to have it done in the next few months if you can't get the seller to have it done first. I knew of one that 'went' at 7 years but only 14,000 miles so age IS an issue - paradoxically more so on low mileage engines that have long 'standing' intervals - as most motorhomes have !

Good luck on your quest ...

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Funny this.. was at the Pug dealer today to get a price on having a cam belt fitted on my own van.. Coming up to 5 years...

He wanted to know why I wanted it changing !

In the book, all pugs from 2000 on have a cam belt regime of 70,000 miles or 10 years for normal use, for delivery van use with multi stop starts 35000 and 7 years

So I shall not be worrying about mine for a fair while then, and amazingly the chap who said 60k miles was pretty darned close !

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
But anyway, the Autotrail is much the better bet in my opinion. A much nicer van all round - better quality and better layout. The cam belt change is about due anytime, I think - but nothing to worry about provided you'll have enough 'dosh' to have it done in the next few months if you can't get the seller to have it done first. I knew of one that 'went' at 7 years but only 14,000 miles so age IS an issue - paradoxically more so on low mileage engines that have long 'standing' intervals - as most motorhomes have !

Good luck on your quest ...

Thanks for that, yes I am leaning towards the autotrail as well, as for the cambelt I just have this nightmare going through my head of it popping on the way home after just handing over 20K:Eeek:

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Funny this.. was at the Pug dealer today to get a price on having a cam belt fitted on my own van.. Coming up to 5 years...

In the book, all pugs from 2000 on have a cam belt regime of 70,000 miles or 10 years for normal use, for delivery van use with multi stop starts 35000 and 7 years

So I shall not be worrying about mine for a fair while then, and amazingly the chap who said 60k miles was pretty darned close !

Ah well not so much of a worry then:thumb:

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No

Fiat Ducatos have more frequent cam belt change intervals than do Peugeot Boxers. The Autotrail is on a Fiat so this one is due more or less straight away.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It says on the spec that it has 2 slide outs ?
I couldnt see them on the pics, is it just me ?
Looks in good condition though. You never know it might be the 1 for you::bigsmile:
Good luck

i think they may be confusing the couch base 'slide out' sections, for making a large double bed, for slides in the true sense :Doh:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Fiat Ducatos have more frequent cam belt change intervals than do Peugeot Boxers. The Autotrail is on a Fiat so this one is due more or less straight away.

So when did Fiat stop using the boxer engine then ?

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
So when did Fiat stop using the boxer engine then ?

I can't answer your question - I've no idea - I don’t even know if they ever did use exactly the same engine, although until I found out about the different cam belt regime I thought they did. I know that in the 'old' days they were different - one was direct injection and the other indirect. There must be some reason it's a different regime .... perhaps different ancillaries .... ? Or maybe it's nothing to do with the engine, just differing company policy ... ?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No idea.. I do know that the cam belt kitr number is the same for both the Fiat and Pug models though :winky:

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
No idea.. I do know that the cam belt kitr number is the same for both the Fiat and Pug models though :winky:

Well if that's right, Jaws, it does seem to point to differing company policy.
But knowing what I do, I wouldn't like to leave it ten years between changes, especially now that you tell me that the Peugeot part number is the same as that for Fiat. I've known two Fiat 2.8 JTD's that have suffered cam belt failures (and expensive engine repairs) at 14,000 miles and 27,000 miles respectively, both outside the Fiat time regime but inside that for a Peugeot. If they had been Peugeots they would have been within warranty, provided the service intervals had been adhered to, but as they were Fiats .......... !

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
We do ours every 2 years or 20k. Purely because the cost of doing so far outweighs the cost of repair...especially if a customer would have their holiday ruined.

This month, the braking system was replaced - pads, discs, pipes - need doing? Not really, one pipe was starting to show signs of corrsosion, so the whole lot was replaced.

And they say hire vehicles are mis-treated!! Not ours!:thumb:

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hey Guys thanks for the info but just had a sudden thought are any of these vans blighted by the reversing gearbox problem????????????:Eeek:

Tim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back