Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Geo

The 1st MOT is due on my 2008 Auto Navara.
The garage I normally use says they cant do it now cos Navs are now in Class 7 (previously Class 4) due to the scrapping of the duel purpose vehicle classification.

Thing is, all the lads on the Nissan.net forum are going berserk and saying thats rubbish cos the new regs haven't come into effect YET and there's supposedly still no firm date for the intro of the new regs, therefore, it should be tested as a Class 4?

Care to comment please?

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Paul,
The law states the between 3,000 kgs and 3,500 kgs, as we are, is class 7.
The difference is only £4 you tight bugger and Mitsiland Garages do class 7.
Mine is due as well:Doh:
JK

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Paul,
The law states the between 3,000 kgs and 3,500 kgs, as we are, is class 7.
The difference is only £4 you tight bugger and Mitsiland Garages do class 7.
Mine is due as well:Doh:
JK

Money aint the issue mate (not often I say that! :ROFLMAO:), getting the correct certificate IS. :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Paul
Dual pupose vehicle rules scrapping have been spoken about, but nothings changed yet
Class 4 for sure:thumb:
Geo

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Hi Paul
Dual pupose vehicle rules scrapping have been spoken about, but nothings changed yet
Class 4 for sure:thumb:
Geo

OK, so given that Navs have a gross of 3210kg, do you still say Class 4 for sure, in which case, is there something that I can print off and go back to the garage to make sure that its tested as a Class 4 ?

Thanks

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
OK, so given that Navs have a gross of 3210kg, do you still say Class 4 for sure, in which case, is there something that I can print off and go back to the garage to make sure that its tested as a Class 4 ?

Thanks
Yes Paul
The vehicle is designated as a heavy Class 4 in excess of 2500 kg
the testing class is 4. by virtue of it still being a multi pupose vehicle
The document you need to show them is hanging on the garage wall
its the testing fee notice, it clearly states Duel Purpose vehicles class 4
it also says in the bottom left, fees apply from 6th April 2010 untill a new notice is issued that is the only guide we have as to test fees and class
Ask them to show you the rules or special notice they think there working to:Cool:
They should know that testing out of class is a very serious offence and it apply's in both directions
If they have been testing them as class 7 :Doh:they have a lot of incorrectly tested vehicles out there:Eeek:
Vosa Technical Enquiry Unit 0845 600 5977
That number can befound on thier MoT best practise guide (The one they threw away):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Yes Paul
The vehicle is designated as a heavy Class 4 in excess of 2500 kg
the testing class is 4. .............Vosa Technical Enquiry Unit 0845 600 5977
That number can befound on thier MoT best practise guide (The one they threw away):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

Thanks very much indeed Geo. There appears to be some confusion in MOT land regarding this issue because using the tel number you provided, I've just spoken to a chap called Alan Vaughn (sp) who backs up what you say 100% and is saying that anyone who wants to test a Nav to class 7 is using an argument that is nearly 2 years out of date!

I intend to go back to the original local garage on my way home now and politely point out the mistake. If the guy is insistant, I'm going to ring up Alan in his presence and take it from there.
Many thanks for your help Geo :thumb:

davidjones

Free Member
Nov 16, 2009
Stockport
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
3rd year 5ver
Nav MOT

Thanks very much indeed Geo. There appears to be some confusion in MOT land regarding this issue because using the tel number you provided, I've just spoken to a chap called Alan Vaughn (sp) who backs up what you say 100% and is saying that anyone who wants to test a Nav to class 7 is using an argument that is nearly 2 years out of date!

I intend to go back to the original local garage on my way home now and politely point out the mistake. If the guy is insistant, I'm going to ring up Alan in his presence and take it from there.
Many thanks for your help Geo :thumb:

I've just had my D40 MOT done. I use a local mechanic to prep it. He was told by the testing station that they would only test it if he removed the 5th wheel as they would then test it as multi-purpose. He did so & I have a certificate although I've not studied the certificate to see what it states. The 5th wheel is still sitting in the truck bed without being re-fixed. All very bizarre and British.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I've just had my D40 MOT done. I use a local mechanic to prep it. He was told by the testing station that they would only test it if he removed the 5th wheel as they would then test it as multi-purpose. He did so & I have a certificate although I've not studied the certificate to see what it states. The 5th wheel is still sitting in the truck bed without being re-fixed. All very bizarre and British.
Another tester making up his own rules
He dosent have to decide if its dual purpose or Not, VOSA did that for him
Pop in and ask him how leaving the fifth wheel in place makes it non dual purpose:RollEyes:
Ask to see the relevent section he would refuse to test under
or the relevent section he would fail under if the 5th wheel were fitted
Point out he gets in to greif with VOSA for getting it wrong in either direction:Doh:
Geo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back