LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I have read a lot on MHF recently concerning the price increases at NFU.

We have insured our m/h's with them for about 3 years & last year, mid policy, I got them to include the toad (Ford Ka) on the same policy......this seemed to me to make sense in that in the event of an accident I would only have one insurer to deal with & no broker as NFU provide their own cover. Furthermore they seem to be one of the few insurers who actually understand what a "toad" is .......great.

After, admitedly some negotiation and arm twisting over their renewal premium, I have just renewed with them at £432.15 to cover BOTH vehicles. This does cover their "Mutual Assist" breakdown cover for the car but not the M/h (I have RAC Arrival for that)

While this is possibly not the cheapest insurance on the market neither is it the dearest by a long way.........anyway I for one am very satisfied with NFU:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It makes sense to have the toad and the motorhome insured by the same company. After an accident; if different companies are involved, there might well be a bit of arguing about claiming for a 'trailer' which is in fact a 'car' that has its own insurance elsewhere. It just gives them loads of room to mess you about.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
It makes sense to have the toad and the motorhome insured by the same company. After an accident; if different companies are involved, there might well be a bit of arguing about claiming for a 'trailer' which is in fact a 'car' that has its own insurance elsewhere. It just gives them loads of room to mess you about.

The draw back to that Jim, is that if you have a claim and you don't have NCB protection then you have more to loose, were as if you have separate police's the you can move the highest cost vehicle to the policy with the most NCB.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
clipped.........anyway I for one am very satisfied with NFU:thumb:
Yes Brian, we are with them for a second year despite a £90 hike in the premium.

We have Britannia Rescue through the CSMA, as NFU's Mutual Assist doesn't apply to MHs.

Cheers,

Jock.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The draw back to that Jim, is that if you have a claim and you don't have NCB protection then you have more to loose, were as if you have separate police's the you can move the highest cost vehicle to the policy with the most NCB.

Doug...

You could be right Doug, but don't they all use the same claims database anyway? Wouldn't a claim on one policy affect the other at renewal even with another insurer? imagine if the toad became detached in an accident and careered into someone, is it still a trailer? can you not imagine two insurance companies passing the buck:Eeek:

So you toad towers, do you use the same company? Is it wise to do so or is it best to have two separate policies?

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
does Brittania Rescue have weight and length limits when I asked one said I was covered but I read theT&C and rung again and was even more confused:Doh:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
does Brittania Rescue have weight and length limits when I asked one said I was covered but I read theT&C and rung again and was even more confused:Doh:
I can't remember the max length quoted, but weight wise, it is up to 7.5 Tonnes. We were 8.5Mts with the bikes on.

I am sorry to say, (but happy to report) that we have been recovered twice by them now, whilst in Europe, with the second experience being an excellent one, as it was a breakdown.

Regards,

Jock.

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Yes Brian, we are with them for a second year despite a £90 hike in the premium.

We have Britannia Rescue through the CSMA, as NFU's Mutual Assist doesn't apply to MHs.

Cheers,

Jock.

Jock, I'm surprised that as a true Scott you didn't manage to twist NFU arms a little harder:ROFLMAO:

See you soon,

Brian

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Jock, I'm surprised that as a true Scott you didn't manage to twist NFU arms a little harder:ROFLMAO:

See you soon,

Brian
It certainly wasn't for the lack of trying Brian, :ROFLMAO: but they weren't having any of it...........unless of course I reduced the estimated value of the MH. :Doh: Yeah right you are Mr NFU. :RollEyes:

Cheers,

Jock.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
You could be right Doug, but don't they all use the same claims database anyway? Wouldn't a claim on one policy affect the other at renewal even with another insurer? imagine if the toad became detached in an accident and careered into someone, is it still a trailer? can you not imagine two insurance companies passing the buck:Eeek:

So you toad towers, do you use the same company? Is it wise to do so or is it best to have two separate policies?

I can only quote my own circumstance, IE I have two vehicles on two policies, One has a full NCB and the other has a 3 year NCB, last year when the renewal came around on one of the the Insurance company asked "Is the car policy more expensive that the MH, if so would I like to swap the policies over". I said no, but could I put both of them onto the policy with the full NCB, they said no, as the individual policies had "lives of their own and one does not effect the other"

So from that I assume that if you loose the NCB on one it does not effect the other.

Doug...

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I believe their standard policy covers mh's valued up to 75K
I wasn't aware of that Brian, and I have to assume that the NFU agent wasn't either, for them to have given me the option to reduce the estimated value.

I'll be keeping an eye on that one for next year's renewal. :winky:

Thanks. :thumb:

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back