More oil questions (1 Viewer)

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I looked up the oil for my 2.2 boxer, the oil recommended was Castrol Edge synthetic, on Ebay this was showing £11/ltr (probably £15 as supplied by the garage) and my vehicle takes 6.5ltrs, the service interval is 25k or 2 years, whichever comes first. In my first year I did 2k miles and this coming year I will probably do 3k miles. These sevice intervals are probably for commercial vehicles that will do 25k a year. Unfortunately to preserve my warranty I must adhere to the service conditions, but in my case synthetic oil change at 5K miles??. Out of warranty would I be better off doing an oil change on an annual basis with a standard oil at probably a quarter of the synthetic price?:whatthe:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi...

I thought long and hard on this subject...

In the end, I went for fully synthetic.

On a diesel it just has to be worth it....

It doesn't pollute as easily as semi or standard oil...

It's the life-blood of your engine.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Count your blessings, mine takes 12L of fully synthetic and is the most expensive item on the service. Likewise I do about 5k miles a year.:whatthe:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Replace oil and filter annually regardless of mileage, if it costs you £50 its less than a pound a week for peace of mind. DO NOT use mineral oil if semi or fully synthetic is specced for your engine, you WILL do it more harm than good. I'd also suggest an annual inspection of the brakes, we replace more brake pads because they're crumbling with old age than worn out.

D.

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
I looked up the oil for my 2.2 boxer, the oil recommended was Castrol Edge synthetic, on Ebay this was showing £11/ltr (probably £15 as supplied by the garage) and my vehicle takes 6.5ltrs, the service interval is 25k or 2 years, whichever comes first. In my first year I did 2k miles and this coming year I will probably do 3k miles. These sevice intervals are probably for commercial vehicles that will do 25k a year. Unfortunately to preserve my warranty I must adhere to the service conditions, but in my case synthetic oil change at 5K miles??. Out of warranty would I be better off doing an oil change on an annual basis with a standard oil at probably a quarter of the synthetic price?:whatthe:

I find it very difficult to understand why someone who spends thousands of pounds on a motorhome - probably the most expensive purchase after their house - should be so parsimonious to the extent of even considering the reduction in specification of the specified engine oil simply because it's cheaper. :whatthe: I know synthetic is very expensive, but it is much superior to standard mineral oil - that's why it is recommended ('specified' would be a better word) by the manufacturer. A better option - although still not recommended - would be to leave the synthetic in and change it every other year.

What will you do when your m'home becomes due for a cam belt change on, iit seems inevitably, age rather than mileage basis?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I get full syn for about 14 quid for 4.5 ltrs from a local motor spares shop :thumb: Even in Morrisons it is only about 16 quid :thumb:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back