LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Do the people that want to introduce this tax think that tourism does not bring any income with it ???.
They cant all be wild campers in Cornwall can they ???.:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Do the people that want to introduce this tax think that tourism does not bring any income with it ???.
They cant all be wild campers in Cornwall can they ???.:Doh:
They will be if the tax rate is high enough :ROFLMAO:
(Note the article talked about a tax per bed per night in accommodation.)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If you stay on a site in France there is a daily tourist tax (Taxe de sejour) which seems to vary somewhat in different regions. Its always quite a lot less than £1 though, and you don't pay it on aires, even the ones that charge.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
yet another greedy little oik with ideas above his worth I would say

Long ago got sick of being treated badly when visiting Cornwall so it def will not affect me !:thumb:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
yet another greedy little oik with ideas above his worth I would say

Long ago got sick of being treated badly when visiting Cornwall so it def will not affect me !:thumb:

Agreed,
It will be a long time before I go down there again, the place has just reached saturation point, qeueing in traffic jams to get to places of interest then finding nowhere to park or being able to stop and qeueing to get out of the places again, I like to go on holiday to relieve stress!!

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
From the article......

[I]Cornwall council chiefs are investigating the tax proposal. They say it will help to pay for infrastructure maintenance as the number of visitors to the county increases in the summer months.[/I]

So as Council Chiefs in Cornwall cannot raise the Council Tax at the moment, they are looking for every new way to fleece us.... all of us even if we do not even live in their county...

As they draw their 6 figure salaries, they try to justify it by increasing any tax they can think of. Thinking of new and innovative ways to improve service and give value to their residents does not come into it.

Cornwall lives off tourism.... More and more folks are staying at home due to the current economic situation and high fuel, travel costs etc.

So let's have a brainwave, lets see how we can discourage people from coming to Cornwall and spending their cash on local Cornish businesses. It's a good idea, of course, Cornish tax payers will not pay a penny... But Cornish people will get less pennies from decreasing Tourist income.

Family of 4, an extra £28 per week, no thanks.....

We have Devon, Wales, East Anglia, Peak District, Northumberland and all of Scotland, just for starters, so why drive all the way down to Cornwall to be fleeced by a Council who claim that they need to pay for Infrastructure maintenance due to increasing visitors.

Do they not realise increasing visitors increases wealth for their County, but I guess as most of that wealth goes in tax to Westminster if local businesses make profits and give jobs to Cornish locals, they would rather spite the Cornish people to make their own revenue streams look better.... and increase their pay-offs and pensions from their short termed reigns, to boot....:Doh:

They are all just a bunch of thieving Sh**t***rs........

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Betcha Mr Tom Flanaghan (another prick in a suit and tie), the proposer of yet another squeeze on tourists is really popular with hoteliers and B & B proprietors, reduce the ammount of potential customers and make them become unpaid tax collectors. :cry:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Betcha Mr Tom Flanaghan (another prick in a suit and tie), the proposer of yet another squeeze on tourists is really popular with hoteliers and B & B proprietors, reduce the ammount of potential customers and make them become unpaid tax collectors. :cry:

and on campsites, Holiday Parks, Cs, and Cl's .......

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
It is worth actually considering the infrastructure and the residents of Cornwall. There are no jobs for the young because there is no industry other than in the tourist industry and that's min wage and seasonal. The hospitals are way way behind the times in terms of investment, modern treatments etc. And of course the nearest one may be 50 or more miles away from wherever you love. Friend in Penzance, they have a 'cottage' hospital, but have to go to Truro for anything serious. And they hate the A30 more than we do! About the most socially deprived area of the whole country, is Cornwall believe it or not, it's true.

We think our policemen are far and few - try finding one in Cornwall.

Dunno who is getting all this dosh they allegedly rake in - well it ain't the indigenous population and that's for sure .......

Think the last time we stayed in a BB or on a campsite in France the Taxe de Sejour was something ridiculous like 8 cents a day? - negligible anyway!

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Maybe we should contact the Hadrian construction company to build us a little wall to keep Cornwall just for the Cornish, and of course keep them out of England, unless of course they payed a tax for the English infrastructure.

Doug...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back