Free Member
Jun 1, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi

Firstly, this is my premier post about my first motorhome/RV - is that enough firsts! So please be gentle with me is what I am trying to say.

Secondly, you will be pleased to know that this is not a debate about licences and the 'grey areas that lie within' - Our motorhome is over 7.5 tonnes, so for my own piece of mind I am going to take the HGV C Class licence before I venture onto the roads with it. What I would like to ask is, has anybody done this test /training recently? And if so, how many days training did you take? And , what was the total overall cost?::bigsmile:

Thanks

Richard

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
best person to reply to this is (Rick) Motor roamin'......he runs his own HGV training school.
he'll give you a full rundown on whats required and how long/cost etc.
i think its a 5 day course and the cost is around £2000 depending on what type of C class you want...full artic, drawbar trailer etc

off line at the moment, possibly at stratford.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Richard - welcome to Fun

I don't think that things have changed too much since I took my test 7 years ago - you have to take the medical and pass it - then the theory test and pass it - and then the actual driving course - assessment will tell you whether it is a 4 or 4½ or 5 or 5½ day practice usually followed by the test on the last ½ day. That is for the C licence - the rigid vehicle licence.

If you want to tow a car behind your RV then you have to take the C+E licence - once again assessment will tell you whether you need a 4 or a 4, blah, blah, blah followed by the test on your last ½ day.

It will probably cost you in the region of £1000 for the C test - and another £1000 for the C+E - and in my humble opinion, the cost was worth every penny simply by giving me enough experience and confidence to take my rig almost anywhere in Europe.

Dick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Hi Dick,your advice is spot on,I did just that a couple of years ago and worth every penny for the piece of mind alone.

Regards, John P:thumb:

OP
OP
F

frankie360m

Free Member
Jun 1, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Thanks guys for your input, £1000 ish and 5 days training seems the norm for the C Class license, will probably see how I get on before going for the articulated (+ E ) part - Have found a training center locally so hope to be training and taking the test in the next couple of months all being well.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Good Luck, Frankie - getting the licence opens up so many other possibilities - Agencies everywhere are looking for 'class' 2 and 1 drivers, so there is a possibility of a spare-time income. It also opens up the range of options on 'heavy' RVs should you ever decide to change your current RV etc., etc., etc.

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
If the funds are available go streight in for the C+E, regarding agency work you will require a digital taco card and a CPC ive still got my C+E and need to get my CPC before 2014 to keep my driving entitlement so ive been informed ? im going to look into it as its always there as a back up Gray.

drago35uk

Free Member
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
I passed my C 5 years ago (paid for by work thankfully) I now have to have my second medical to retain the licence. You need a medical every 5 years after the age of 45 to keep the entitlement.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If the funds are available go streight in for the C+E, regarding agency work you will require a digital taco card and a CPC ive still got my C+E and need to get my CPC before 2014 to keep my driving entitlement so ive been informed ? im going to look into it as its always there as a back up Gray.

you dont need a CPC if you only drive for pleasure Gray.....CPC is vocational only.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Neil took his test last year.

You dont need the cpc unless youre driving commercially.

Yes you also need the medical once youre over 45 years of age (every 5 years).

Need also to do your theory and hazard perception test too.

Good luck

Pat

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
you dont need a CPC if you only drive for pleasure Gray.....CPC is vocational only.

I was pointing this out in responce to moandicks post if you pass a test to drive your RV but also want to do a bit of part time agency work you will need a CPC Gray. :winky:

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Ive just been checking with a training company as i will be doing my CPC to retain my C+E to fall back on if my current job goes boobs up, ive been informed new drivers that say pass now must also do the CPC training but drivers like me that have had a class 1 for more years than i can remember have until 2014 to do 35 hours of training but i can do blocks any time of 7 hour intervals of the differant sections, so i will be sorting some sessions out soon regarding the price its about £85 a session if your on your own but the more people that book at the same time the price comes down Gray. its just another way for the goverment to make money :cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back