refillable gas (1 Viewer)

Nov 26, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
23 years
:Smile::Smile:i have a new boxer and i am wondering if it is better to fit refillable gas bottles, or a gas tank as most of my time will be spent in spain:winky:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
:Smile::Smile:i have a new boxer and i am wondering if it is better to fit refillable gas bottles, or a gas tank as most of my time will be spent in spain:winky:

I am just in the process myself.......I have gone for Alugas x 2 -11kg...( fitted in one week ) ....mainly for weight and when we are in Portugal.....Why Alugas...A, because they are lighter, Half the weight of Gaslow.... also I can remove them for what ever reason in the future.......
I did think of fitting under slung tanks....but a small tank was a lot heavier than the two alugas bottles we are having fitted...... and as I said weight is a problem...
And any extra storage that would have been made available with the removal of the two original 13kg gas bottles, would not be needed as we have more than enough lockers and cupboards now

Last edited:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
If you plan to spend a lot of time in the van on the continent and you plan to keep the van for a long time the a under chassis bulk tank is the way to go.

Much longer refill times. (important in Spain where refill garages can be scarce)
Much lighter system (my 68ltr tank wieghts 25kg empty, how many bottles would you need for 68ltr's)
The weight will be in the right place, (some gas lockers are at the back).
No problems with flexible connection pipes coursing regulator failures.

I have never regretted fitting a bulk tank and I'm glad I did not go down the refill bottle path.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
If you're spending most of your time in spain why not just buy the fittings for Spanish gas bottles and keep your money in the bank. :Smile:

You will need to source a bottle from a car boot sale or secondhand shop as the dealers are not now allowed to supply one. Even caravan shops do not supply them.

We were quoted an inspection fee of between 160€ and 200€ in order to get one officially this winter.

We got bottles from a secondhand shop in Cartegena at 20€ each. and a regulator cost us 8€ from a hardware shop.

We have an 85 litre tank but the distance between LPG outlets was so great and we were staying on one site. I fed the Spanish bottle through a regulator into the barbeque point and turned the tank off.

At that time autogas was 0.688 a litre and bottled gas 0.52 a litre.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I am researching replacing our two Propane gas bottles with 2 x 6kg Gaslow, rang few dealers for an estimate as to costings and they appear to go from the sublime to the 'you are having a joke'.

What should I be looking for :

2 x 6KG fitted.

ShiftZZ...

At this rate I may have to blackmail Biggles at Johns Cross.

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
I am researching replacing our two Propane gas bottles with 2 x 6kg Gaslow, rang few dealers for an estimate as to costings and they appear to go from the sublime to the 'you are having a joke'.

What should I be looking for :

2 x 6KG fitted.

ShiftZZ...

At this rate I may have to blackmail Biggles at Johns Cross.

Go for DIY ShiftZZ.

20mins from starting to cut the hole in the bodywork.

If you are capable of changing a Propane bottle when it's empty then fitting Gaslow bottles will be a doddle.

We fitted 1 x 11kg. About £180 fitted and working. Never looked back as topping up is so easy and done when we refill with diesel.

June

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We have a 40ltr fixed tank and find it great whilst touring France.We are going into Spain next week,but only for 2 weeks so we won't need to fill up.I guess if we were staying there for some time we would have to plan around filling stations.
Originally I wanted to fit a 100ltr tank,but it was too long to go between the chassis members so we tried an 80ltr tank-that fitted lengthwise but was too big in girth so that the bottom of the tank left too little ground clearance-finally we ended up with 40ltr-a compromise,but we still thinks it's better than bottles.::bigsmile:

Mike.

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Go for DIY ShiftZZ.

20mins from starting to [HI]cut the hole in the bodywork[/HI].

If you are capable of changing a Propane bottle when it's empty then fitting Gaslow bottles will be a doddle.

We fitted 1 x 11kg. About £180 fitted and working. Never looked back as topping up is so easy and done when we refill with diesel.

June

NOooooo :Eeek:
With the best will in the world June, a d-i-yer he is not! :winky:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Cant I just make the two mistakes..

1- forgot the balsamic vinegar

2-
creative-plumbing-590.jpg

It was dark

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
If you plan to spend a lot of time in the van on the continent and you plan to keep the van for a long time the a under chassis bulk tank is the way to go.

Much longer refill times. (important in Spain where refill garages can be scarce)
Much lighter system (my 68ltr tank wieghts 25kg empty, how many bottles would you need for 68ltr's)
The weight will be in the right place, (some gas lockers are at the back).
No problems with flexible connection pipes coursing regulator failures.

I have never regretted fitting a bulk tank and I'm glad I did not go down the refill bottle path.

Doug...

For me, as I said the weight is a problem...
So two empty alugas is 6.3kg each = 12.6kg..Dougs Empty tank is 25kg...that's 12.4kg heavier than mine !!

I think 1kg equals about 2 ltrs of LPG or so I am led to believe,.........(propane)
That would equal 44 ltrs, so in theory if you could carry 3 bottles that would equal dougs 68ltr tank, which is about 5kg Heavier ....... (NO do not fit 3 bottles)I was just Joking:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

But I could run on one full bottle 11kg gas and keep topping it up and still be lighter than DOUGs empty tank!:Eeek::thumb:
I thought the Idea of refillable gas was to keep topping up at petrol stations......??

I do agree with Doug and others if you are going static and in Spain maybe the larger tank or a Tanker would be better

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back