LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Going to get a new "Automatic Self Seeking" dish put on our RV..

On our last one we had an Oyster...

Thoughts please on what else is available and works well UK and Continent,, ie "Camos" or should I stick with the Oyster ?

Which we found was superb... But there may be something better..

Thanks.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Going to get a new "Automatic Self Seeking" dish put on our RV..

On our last one we had an Oyster...

Thoughts please on what else is available and works well UK and Continent,, ie "Camos" or should I stick with the Oyster ?

Which we found was superb... But there may be something better..

Thanks.

We sell satellite systems, a lot of satellite systems. We don't stock Oyster (for reasons which have no bearing on it's performance)

If you know Oyster and are happy with Oyster I really would stick with what you know.

Eddie

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
We have a Camos dome have had on the van from new (4 years) it was on the last van (1 year) its easy to use and works well, the reason i went for it over a dish are, its self contained no moving parts to the elements, cant be left up while driving off (i know they go down when you turn the tv off but what if the fuse blows just at that moment and you dont check) ive seen them nearly get ripped off in high winds and if you go winter homing get a lot of snowfall will they lift if covered in snow ? just my reasons for choosing "right or wrong" Gray.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mazzaH

Free Member
Mar 27, 2010
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 08
Exp
Neither dish or dome

What about the Oyster Caro - that is the diamond shaped option? Anybody used it, the dealers say it is the best thing since sliced bread!!

:winky:

Peter

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Interesting that Eddie was not plugging his KVH Tracvision domes....that shows a fair minded approach and a degree of restraint.

Good for him

But I had a KVH fitted by VAn Bitz last week and its very easy to use
and works really well...even for a technophobe like me ....the slim line version sits well on my autotrail with a relatively low profile and I enjoyed a couple of days down in Taunton
so I could have it fitted by them.........good service very professional.
Judging by the other motorhomes staying on his site next to the workshop all waiting to have KVH Tracvision domes fitted
it does seem they are getting very popular.

I'll leave the benefits for Van Bitz to explain :)

On the way home pulled into a motorway service station and in less than a minute was watching grand prix qualifying.

Domes do seem a very simple way to go.

barry

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have the Neta dome which comes with its own tuner , haven't used it over the water , but works well in UK, quick search and tune , never misses. :thumb:
I did have an Oyster on a previous RV which at times took quite a time to search and tune.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Looks like Domes are a winner then :thumb:

Could be .... but how do they compare to an Oyster on the continent??

Most of the time we did pull a good picture, except some parts of Spain with an Oyster..

But as said domes are neat.. :thumb:

Can any Dome users throw any light on use on the continent ?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
On previous threads on the subject, to pick up astra 28e in the south of Spain some have said you will need around a 1.2 m dish.
Not sure how big the footprint of the domes are.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Interesting that Eddie was not plugging his KVH Tracvision domes....that shows a fair minded approach and a degree of restraint.

Good for him

But I had a KVH fitted by VAn Bitz last week and its very easy to use
and works really well...even for a technophobe like me ....the slim line version sits well on my autotrail with a relatively low profile and I enjoyed a couple of days down in Taunton
so I could have it fitted by them.........good service very professional.
Judging by the other motorhomes staying on his site next to the workshop all waiting to have KVH Tracvision domes fitted
it does seem they are getting very popular.

I'll leave the benefits for Van Bitz to explain :)

On the way home pulled into a motorway service station and in less than a minute was watching grand prix qualifying.

Domes do seem a very simple way to go.

barry

I have given up trying to justify dishes and domes :winky: It is a bit like A frames and trailers.

I have a dish on my Winnie, but will put a dome on the next van as it is uneffected by the wind, and I tend only to watch telly when the weather is rubbish. Often when the weather is rubbish it is very windy.

On Astra 2 (English telly) the dish will work a bit further West and East, when it is not windy.

The KVH Trackvison will with the supplied free to air box be able to receive Astra 1 and Hotbird all over Europe so you just search until you find some thing that you want to watch.

The European three year warranty on the KVH system is another factor that influences some.

Not many know that KVH is the worlds largest dome manufactuers, and excell in the marine market where they are the "must have" on the worlds super yachts down to mid size motor cruisers. Their marine systems, the entry level in motion is £3999.00 so it makes the R4Sl excellent value at only £1399 with a HD free to air digi box

If thay can make systems that can withstand the harsh marine enviroment, and stay locked on while rocking around out a sea, a static or in motion for a motorhome is a doddle

Thats my opinion

Eddie

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
On previous threads on the subject, to pick up astra 28e in the south of Spain some have said you will need around a 1.2 m dish.
Not sure how big the footprint of the domes are.

Don't forget that Astra 28.2 is made up of four satellites. Astra 2D, Astra2 Northbeam, Astra2 Southbeam and Eurobird.

They criss cross across the UK and Europe. Astra2D is the important one for Free to Air and Freesat reception if your looking for BBC'esq TV

Astra 2D really only covers the UK and France

You will struggle to get a mobile system that can give you reliable BBC'esq FTA TV across Spain.

www.astra.de is a great place to see the footprints as they own the satellites so they should know

Eddie

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
We chose a Camos 40 and are very happy with it. It's easy to use and unaffected by wind as stated earlier. Another benefit is that once it has locked onto the satellite, you can switch off the power to it and save a bit of battery juice.
The new version is supposed to perform even better as it has GPS controlled autoskew of the LNB.

Having said that, I think the KVH domes are well made. We chose Camos because at the time, the KVH offered only two satellites (your choice which two) in its menu. The default choices could be changed by plugging a PC into a serial port but I didn't want the hassle. I believe that has changed now and you can have three satellites pre-programmed.

If you want the very best "reach" of Astra 2D (UK programmes) in far-off places, then I understand the Kathrein CAP 910 is the dog's doodahs (at a price). But then you get a dish and the attendant issues of wind and stowing it at night or before travelling. However, having examined one, they are built like tanks and I suspect the motorhome's roof would come off worst in a "windy argument".

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The new version is supposed to perform even better as it has GPS controlled autoskew of the LNB.

Autoskew is useful on a conventional dish when you can travel far enough East or West to make adjusting the skew necessary. As the normal arguement against domes is that they don't work as well as dishes, so what is the point of autoskew on a dome?

Most domes will work as far West in France as you can go without driving into the sea. So you will have to go deep into Spain before you would need to skew, so far in fact that the dome wouldn't work:roflmto: Astra 1 and Hotbird could be received without changing the skew.

I think that they have added that bit to make them seem different from the old Camos manufactured for Camos by Wi World. As far as I know allthough they were launched at the NEC in February they have not yet been available.

A new product with no history, launched but immeadiately not available, a big thing about a bit tacked on that is not nedessarily needed? Hmmmn

I would advise anyone that wants a Camos to buy the old tried and tested system (this is the one made fpr Camos by Wi World)

Just my opinions

Eddie

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
What about the Oyster Caro - that is the diamond shaped option? Anybody used it, the dealers say it is the best thing since sliced bread!!

Peter

We have the Caro Oyster - works well - we were going for a dome but were advised against it as we plan at some time to travel down to spain and advised the caro would do it and the dome not. another reason for going for the dome was wind effect - we had a max view hand crank on our Burstener and when it was windy it rattled quite badly and felt the dome a better option - the dealer advised that Caro did not rattle and offered to fit it and if we were not totally satified he would change for any other one for a three month trial period - we have found it totally quiet and totally reliable . It was a good deal and fitted at a show FOC

Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp

Peter

It is. Never failed yet::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back