Yet another ebay scam (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It's a genuine ebay listing and the Reg No checks out on DVLA ..

The vehicle details for Y653 DRR are:

Date of Liability 01 09 2011
Date of First Registration 01 05 2001
Year of Manufacture 2001
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 2200CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Heavy Oil
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Licence Not Due
Vehicle Colour WHITE
Vehicle Type Approval
Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle
6 Months Rate £118.25
12 Months Rate £215.00

but the price is obviously too low .. how do you think this scam works Terry ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim click on the sellers feedback (2114) at the side of his name :winky: ERROR pops up then click on bids again error pops up.Then look at the price £5200 for a van worth more than double/treble :ROFLMAO:
If he brings it to my house I will buy it at that price if it all checks out :ROFLMAO::winky:He won't bring it because they have just photoed someones van :Eeek: that's why it checks out when you have checked the DVLA ::bigsmile: I would bet my house on it being a SCAM :winky:
Wait until a few more funsters wake up and check other ways on ebay to find it is a scam :thumb:
terry
edit -Jim edit your post before some unsuspecting idiot reads you think it genuine

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim it will only be available if you pay for it in full and pick it up after funds have cleared :thumb::Eeek: Excuses could be in the garage getting repaired, on hols in it at the moment etc etc
terry

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Basically I believe that they just clone the page of an original e-bay listing. Normally from quite some time ago.

They then amend the written details, the price which is the bait and change the seller details, so communication is then directed with the scam seller, who then tells the tales about being stuck in Spain etc and blah blah blah..

If you look at the address in link it is very "similar" to an e-bay address, just as in some of the bank "phishing" mails.

I can't view it any more as my browser / AV is now warning me and will not let me go back to it as I clicked once on the link to contact seller....

Some of these are quite amateur but there are some who make it "look" very professional....

Caveat Emptor.........:Eeek:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO::thumb:Well done Peter ::bigsmile: I knew more funsters would know why it was a scam
:winky:
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

blokarter

Free Member
Feb 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
since 2008
jlwd.co.uk is a furniture website which is under construction.
ebay.jlwd.co.uk is a sub domain of the first one mentioned.
Only the owner or somenone working on their behalf would be in a position to add a sub domain on.

The description of furniture on the site is very basic e.g. Available in various colours such as Black, Brown, Red, Yellow, and Cream, etc

It could be that whoever who owns this domain either knows nothing about it or is involved.

The doamin was registered on 25-Mar-2009 and still has no webiste content which is a little bit odd for a business.

The cgi folder is rarely used by most web designers as it hosts scripts only.
Not a bad place to hide your fictitious site.

Anyway, all very strange and definitely worth avoiding.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Thanks Peter.. I noticed the URL was odd...

but what is clever is when you log into ebay proper and do a search the advert comes up, it's only when you click on the seller it goes to the scam link.. how is that done without ebay knowing ?

It may not be because they don't know, but more likely is they are aware this is happening, but sadly they do not care. Ebay love to take the cash but are not so good in my experience when dealing with any issues, problems, or scams like this which hijack ebay.

Again if it sounds too good to be true........ it will be just that, too good.:cry:

Never send money for anything you have never seen or bought through the proper auction system on e-bay...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back