mini satelite dish set up problem (1 Viewer)

N

Nobody

Deleted User
having problems setting unable to get picture quality over 38 any ideas

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi I had problems when i got one try tilting it. It has to be just about vertical or not far off it.

Gerry

Im sure someone with more knowledge will be along to help soon

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
First are you sure you are pointing at the right satellite? There is a Turkish sat close to the Astra (sky) 28East one.

Look to see if you can see any other dishes near you, see if you are pointing the same way. If so, sounds like you just need some fine adjustment.

Is the dish round or a "sky" oval one?

The Sky oval one has an offset on the lnb arm so around Northern England the dish should be almost vertical. If it is an oval one iy may not have an offset on the lnb arm. Then the dish needs to be pointing slightly upwards about 20 to 22 degrees from the vertical.

A very small adjustment can make all the difference. Especially if it is a small dish.
Have you also checked the "skew" on the lnb. That's where the lnb tilts slightly away from the vertical. That could also cause the weak signal.

It can be trial and error till you get used to setting it up.
Hope this helps...

Good luck :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
You're not kidding! I've just bought one and after 2 days trying still have found nothing. Looking for help on the Internet just shows how complex a process it is.
Wyn

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You're not kidding! I've just bought one and after 2 days trying still have found nothing. Looking for help on the Internet just shows how complex a process it is.
Wyn

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:You sound like me about 8 yrs ago :ROFLMAO:I tried for an hour before I got a signal (took my mate 2 mins)He then moved the dish 6 ins and set me off again :ROFLMAO:Half hour later :thumb:moved the dish and set me off again :Eeek::cry: half hour again :thumb:
I took it back and got my money back and have never tried one since :Angry::ROFLMAO:It peed me off that it was taking me half hour that my mate could find the sat in under 2 mins He said every time I moved the van I would have to set the sat dish up so I knew it would test my patience and probably end up in a hedge bottom ::bigsmile:
terry

Upvote 0

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:You sound like me about 8 yrs ago :ROFLMAO:I tried for an hour before I got a signal (took my mate 2 mins)He then moved the dish 6 ins and set me off again :ROFLMAO:Half hour later :thumb:moved the dish and set me off again :Eeek::cry: half hour again :thumb:
I took it back and got my money back and have never tried one since :Angry::ROFLMAO:It peed me off that it was taking me half hour that my mate could find the sat in under 2 mins He said every time I moved the van I would have to set the sat dish up so I knew it would test my patience and probably end up in a hedge bottom ::bigsmile:
terry

After reading this Terry I do not feel so bad taking mine back last year:ROFLMAO:
I thought it was just me that had no patience with the ********** thing:ROFLMAO: cheers Terry thats cheered me up no end:thumb:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
After reading this Terry I do not feel so bad taking mine back last year:ROFLMAO:
I thought it was just me that had no patience with the ********** thing:ROFLMAO: cheers Terry thats cheered me up no end:thumb:
:ROFLMAO: I keep reading how people set them up in 30 seconds :ROFLMAO: and get tempted to buy another,for a go :thumb: Then my mate comes along and with the wife bring me back to my senses :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:
terry

Upvote 0

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Mine has a red ,amber and green led light , flashes red, then amber when near and green when locked on , makes the whole thing simple even for me and is set up in no time , although first few times nothing which was down to a faulty co-axial cable which is a common fault apparently .

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I sweep from the East to roughly 145 degrees, around 20 degrees elevation on the dish, then fine tune from there. Not forgetting, of course, the local magnetic deviation!
It works every time! And we have an Aldi system!::bigsmile:

The azimuth (compass bearing) and elevation will vary with your locality, but you should have a table with your kit to get you roughly right.

The signal strength counts for very little on its own. I demonstrated to Shell once that pointing the dish at my arse gave 65%!::bigsmile:

The lack of quality is down to fine tuning or pointing to the wrong satellite which is more easterly than the required Astra ones in my opinion.

If you get frustrated, remember a self tracker will fetch you £1600! Its a good motivation to persevere with your present kit!::bigsmile:

PS- Make sure you double check your co-ax connectors too!

Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Satellite tuning for Motorhomes, well it actually says for caravans but will work for MH's. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Print it out & READ IT! It gave me my first insight into the mysteries of finding that chunk of metal that can keep HID happy, & me the most popular camper on the site. ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Satellite tuning for Motorhomes, well it actually says for caravans but will work for MH's. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Print it out & READ IT! It gave me my first insight into the mysteries of finding that chunk of metal that can keep HID happy, & me the most popular camper on the site. ::bigsmile:

Yes I discovered the site and was about to post it on here when I realised that you beat me to it. That chap has certainly put in a lot of effort to simplify the whole business.
Having said that I have now managed to find a satellite but probably not the right one since they are almost all German chanels, but I'll keep trying.
Wyn

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Yes I discovered the site and was about to post it on here when I realised that you beat me to it. That chap has certainly put in a lot of effort to simplify the whole business.
Having said that I have now managed to find a satellite but probably not the right one since they are almost all German chanels, but I'll keep trying.
Wyn

Sounds like you have got 19 east satellite, It has a lot of german channels as well as CNN and BBC world in English,( but then so does 13 east):Eeek:.

So if you got 19E you just need to go another 10 to 12 degrees to the east (anti clockwise as you look down on the dish from above, and drop the elevation by a smidge (about 2 degrees).

Happy hunting, you will get there in the end..:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sat on site at the misterton meet and tried to set up my free standing sat dish last night.....
gave up after 1/2hr and slung it back in the locker.

tried again this morning and set it up from locker to viewing in around 10 mins.

perfect picture....signal strength 97% quality 85%

then it went off....signal strength 97% quality 0%

studied it for a few mins then saw the problem.....

some joker had wrapped tinfoil over the LNB :Angry:

got my suspicions who it was and i will get revenge :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Wyn

You'r there Wyn, just follow the instructions given & you will get it - I'm confident you will ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back