different number plates on caravan (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We are at a site in Mont Richard and there are a few dutch and German outfits here. The caravan has a different the number to the car, do they have to be registered as two separate vehicles?

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
We are at a site in Mont Richard and there are a few dutch and German outfits here. The caravan has a different the number to the car, do they have to be registered as two separate vehicles?

Yes they do. This is common in many EU countries.

Pete:Cool:

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Yes they do. This is common in many EU countries.

Pete:Cool:

And you'll see that the artics have two sets of number plates, too, one for the tractor unit and another for the trailer. Can be confusing and somewhat strange to a limey ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
In Belgium, you the owner are issued with a reg plate when you first apply, and it moves to whichever vehicle you own. It stays with you for life.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
In France your caravan has to be registered separately (so you have to pay for its registration document, not just when new but also if you've bought second hand) It also has to have its own Controle Technique (like an MOT)
Car trailers over (I think) 500kg also have to be registered separately.

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
When I was in the Army and driving class 1 artics I was stopped by the local constabulary in Buckinghamshire and young plod said You have the wrong number plate on driver..When I explained that all Army vehicles have reg numbers including trailers and an artic unit has a different plate to the trailer he wasn't convinced..he was going to do me for not displaying a correct reg etc..so in the end I asked for a "Produce " at a local cop shop to my barracks

When I went...the police officer was an ex squaddy and just said don't worry son and tore up the "Produce"...So yes even in the UK this is a strange occurrance!!

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Yes aparently Australia has the same arrangement, you register a caravan as a separate vehicle
Wyn

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp

Wander over there and ask them!

They are bound to speak English and you might make some new Dutch and German chums. :thumb:

(Very tall, the Dutch!)

IrasciBill

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Auto-Roller 500
Exp
Since 2009 (after many years camping)
Slightly off topic but I think that in some European countries, I think Switzerland particularly, even pedal cycles have registration plates / numbers! :Eeek:

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I,m glad ours don't need them, another expense we don't need or want.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Wander over there and ask them!

They are bound to speak English and you might make some new Dutch and German chums. :thumb:

(Very tall, the Dutch!)

Yes should have done that only he was on his own and didnt seem too friendly!!

Anyway we moved on and in Amboise now, not too far you say but we wanted to see Amboise.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Slightly off topic but I think that in some European countries, I think Switzerland particularly, even pedal cycles have registration plates / numbers! :Eeek:

Should do here. Also bike should attract vehicle excise duty. It may get some of these (NOT ALL!) "I own the road, you must give way to me" clowns off the roads.

david and ann

Free Member
Jan 3, 2009
Sax Alicante
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
7 years

Hola
Here in Spain caravans have to be mot'd if over 750 kilos so they have their own number plate. Thats prob why you see 2 different no. plates:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back