Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Question for the sat experts...

Sky + box, if I pull the card out obviously I wont get the channels we pay for, but am I right we will get the free to air stuff, I have heard there is a one off to get channel 5 or some such, and will the record function work as is without the card/subscription and all the pause live TV, record one channel watch another?

Cheers:thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
If you pull the card you will get some Free to Air channels but not all, those you will not get include channel 4, Five, Fiver, Five USA and Sky 3.

If you make a one off payment (£10 or £20 I think) you can get all the FTA channels, but this requires a card which has been registered for the FTA.

As for recording apparently Sky will "kill" the record function if you don't subscribe.
I'e heard stories of people keeping the card out just before the subscription ends then putting it back in a few months later and still being able to record because it missed the turn off record signal, but that is just hearsay.

I have no experience of that as I am still paid up, but at half price because I threatened to leave so they reduced my monthly premium.:thumb:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
If you pull the card you will get some Free to Air channels but not all, those you will not get include channel 4, Five, Fiver, Five USA and Sky 3.

If you make a one off payment (£10 or £20 I think) you can get all the FTA channels, but this requires a card which has been registered for the FTA.

As for recording apparently Sky will "kill" the record function if you don't subscribe.
I'e heard stories of people keeping the card out just before the subscription ends then putting it back in a few months later and still being able to record because it missed the turn off record signal, but that is just hearsay.

I have no experience of that as I am still paid up, but at half price because I threatened to leave so they reduced my monthly premium.:thumb:

I can confirm most of that. I have a spare Sky+ box in the motorhome and paid £20 or so for a FTA card registered to the box so I get most of the channels but obviously not the sports channels I pay for indoors, nor does the record feature work as I don't pay for multi-room at £10 extra per month. Usually end up taking the main box with me so I get the footie. :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dodgey
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Thanks folks:thumb:

To expand on this we feel there will come a time we want to be able to record TV in the van, maybe watch one channel/record another and looking round currys and comet yesterday one had a rather smart twin tuner freeview recorder box at around £100 that was 12 volt, which got me thinking. What about when terestrial TV reception is rubbish, hence the question. We have Sky + now and an equivalent to the freeview recorder for freesat we saw, which happened to be 12 volt was £200:Eeek:

Didn't think I'd get far with the Sky box frankley but worth the ask, mind you I have a feeling the quad LNB dish is coming of the house when we, err, move:Blush:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we had enough of sky price hikes

We had sky for years.. in fact was on our second sky box which is going to John - Roadrunner at Stratford on Avon meet..we have a free to air satellite system.. NETA.. fitted by Van Bitz of Tauton in Somerset.. we have that linked to a domestic 26"tv and a domestic DVD... I was sick and tired of Sky hiking the subs.. we even have a much bigger dish at home that can be turned by motor to a lot more satellites .. over 3,000 channels .. cost under £500 and no subs.

Horse's for courses, just what you want or like.

But free to air as far as I am concerned is great/

Bob:Eeek:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
To correct a few things:

If you pull the card you will get some Free to Air channels but not all, those you will not get include channel 4, Five, Fiver, Five USA and Sky 3
Incorrect.
If you pull the card out you will receive ALL the free to air channels as, by definition, free to air channels do not require a Sky card.

A Sky box with no sky card will still get all the free to air channels.
A Sky box with no sky card gets more channels that a Freesat box in Freesta mode.
A Sky box with no sky card gets the same number of channels as a Freesat box in "nonFreesat mode" .

A Sky box with a "freesatfromskY" / FTV card gets all the FTA channels and ALL the "free to view" channels.
A Sky box with no sky card does not get the "free to view channels.
A Freesat box gets free to air channels only.
A Freesat box does not get ANY free to view channels.

You will not receive the "free to view" channels, which are channels that require no subscription but do require a card, like Fiver, Five USA, Pick TV (formally Sky3), Motors TV, Viva, Liverpool FCTV and Sony TV.

For information:

All BBC channels (well those on the UK TV satellites anyway) are free to air and require no sky card to view. They hav not needed a card for over 7 years.
Many (not all) ITV1 regions (and ITV1HD) are free to air and require no sky card to view.
Some (about 8) ITV1 regions DO require a Sky card to view (FTV card or subscription card)
All ITV2,3,4 channels are free to air require no sky card to view.
(ITV2HD, ITV3HD and ITV4HD are Sky HD subscrption channels)
English versions of C4, C4+1, E4, M4, and Film4 and C4HD are also free to air and require no sky card to view.
Irish versions of C4 and C4+1 require at least a FTV non subscription viewing card.
Irish versions of E4 and M4 requrie a Sky subscription card.
There is 1 version of FIVE, that is free to air.
There are 3 regions of FIVE that do require a Sky card (FTV card or subscription card)
Five HD is "free to view" and does require a Sky card (FTV card or subscription card)

FTA=free to air
FTA channels DO NOT NEED A CARD.
And so there is on such thing as a FTA card.

FTV=free to view
FTV channels do require a Sky card but no monthly subscription.

The nonsubscription sky card is a "free to view" card, £25 last time I heard, and get the "free to view" channels...It is also known as a "freesatfromsky" card.

To record anything on a Sky+ box you need a Sky card with a monthly subscription.

The FTV card is good when travelling in "fringe" reception areas, as those ITVs and C4s and Fives that require a Sky card are on a satellite which has a much easer to receive signal, than thier equivilent FTA channels. For example the FTA version of Five is not available 24/7 in my area of Spain even on out 3.1m dishes. Yet the Sky card versions of Five are available 24/7 on an old Sky minidish I have! This is one of the benefits that a skybox and freesatfromsky card has over Freesat receviers.

Remember that a Freeview record will only work with a TV aerial. Freeview is not on satellite and A freeview receiver does not work with a satellite dish. A Freesat or Sky box works with a satellite dish.
Freeview has a few more channels than Freesat, mainly due to the fact that their reception can be controlled more than if they were on satellite (Dave for example).

True. Some of the old blue cards that were not killed off correctly still work in some Sky + receivers.
Also, I have read that you can "flash" the chips in a PACE 3100 and get it to record for rfree with no subscription...until SKy upgrade the software

Last edited:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
To correct a few things:

Incorrect.
If you pull the card out you will receive ALL the free to air channels as, by definition, free to air channels do not require a Sky card.

A Sky box with no sky card gets more channels that a Freesat box in Freesta mode.
A Sky box with no sky card gets the same number of channels as a Freesat box in "nonFreesat mode" .

A Sky box with a "freesatfromskY" / FTV card gets all the FTA channels and ALL the "free to view" channels.

You will not receive the "free to view" channels, which are channels that require no subscription but do require a card, like Fiver, Five USA, Pick TV (formally Sky3), Motors TV, Viva, Liverpool FCTV and Sony TV.

For information:

All BBC channels (well those on the UK TV satellites anyway) are free to air and require no sky card to view. They hav not needed a card for over 7 years.
Many (not all) ITV1 regions (and ITV1HD) are free to air and require no sky card to view.
Some (about 8) ITV1 regions DO require a Sky card to view (FTV card or subscription card)
English versions of C4, C4+1, E4, M4, and Film4 and C4HD are also free to air and require no sky card to view.
Irish versions of C4 and C4+1 require at least a FTV non subscription viewing card.
There are 3 regions of FIVE that do require a Sky card (FTV card or subscription card)
Five HD is "free to view" and does require a Sky card (FTV card or subscription card)

FTA=free to air

FTV=free to view

The nonsubscription sky card is a "free to view" card, £25 last time I heard, and get the "free to view" channels...It is also known as a "freesatfromsky" card.

To record anything on a Sky+ box you need a Sky card with a monthly subscription.

The FTV card is good when travelling in "fringe" reception areas, as those ITVs and C4s and Fives that require a Sky card are on a satellite which has a much easer to receive signal, than thier equivilent FTA channels. For example the FTA version of Five is not available 24/7 in my area of Spain even on out 3.1m dishes. Yet the Sky card versions of Five are available 24/7 on an old Sky minidish I have! This is one of the benefits that a skybox and freesatfromsky card has over Freesat receviers.

Remember that a Freeview record will only work with a TV aerial. Freeview is not on satellite and A freeview receiver does not work with a satellite dish. A Freesat or Sky box works with a satellite dish.
Freeview has a few more channels than Freesat, mainly due to the fact that their reception can be controlled more than if they were on satellite (Dave for example).

True. Some of the old blue cards that were not killed off correctly still work in some Sky + receivers.
Also, I have read that you can "flash" the chips in a PACE 3100 and get it to record for rfree with no subscription...until SKy upgrade the software

Can you run that by me again?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
To correct a few things:

Incorrect.

For information:

FTA=free to air

FTV=free to view

There you go Rolf:thumb:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Can you run that by me again?

Simple.
Free to air - no card required
Free to view - nonsubscription sky card required.

Big difference and result in mistakes being made when getting help and assistance.

A Sky box with or without a card will still get all the free to air channels....

(you may have to programem the FTA Five into "other channels"...scan frequency 10773 h 22 5/6, as sometimes booting a sky box without a sky card does not load the FTA Five onto 105!)

channel 4 (England) is Free to air
Five has FTA and FTV versions
Fiver, Five USA and Sky 3 are free to view.

to say
If you pull the card you will get some Free to Air channels but not all, those you will not get include channel 4, Five, Fiver, Five USA and Sky 3
is incorrect.
C4 and Five are available without a Sky card as they are free to air.
If you pull the card you will get all the Free to Air channels
If you pull the card you will get all the Free to Air channels, but not the free to view channels

In addition, this is wrong.
You do not need a card, and you do not need to pay anything extra (above your TV tax) to receive free to air - FTA - channels (like BBC1,2,3,4, most ITV1 regions, ITV2,3,4, C4, E4, M4, Film4, Five)
You do need a card (£25 from freesatfromsky.co.uk) to get the "free to view" channels (like Fiver, Five USA, Pick TV , Sony TV, 8 ITV1 regions, Irish C4s, LFCTV)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back