Insurance increases .. and NFU (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just had my renewal for the car insurance from NFU, I have a Honda CR-V .. up from £350 to £485 :Angry: I have full NCD, social domestic only, one named driver, me.

Yes, I was angry and called their office and asked for an explanation and after some discussion, I agreed to a small increase in the excess and got it reduced to £380 ..

I thought that was still high so I did the on-line comparison thing with confused.com ..

Back came the results, some as low as £220 , but this is where it gets difficult, trying to compare 'like for like' fairly, so many show a much smaller premium until you go to their site and select the bolt on 'extras', road side assistance, protected NCD, courtesy car, legal assistance, personal possessions, etc etc

So.. after spending about four hours and losing the will to live comparing policies it became apparent that to get good insurance cover from a good company NFU wasn't any more expensive .. in fact they were not the most expensive, and as I have had nothing but great service from them, including a claim for an accident in France that was settled painlessly and with no loss of NCD I am renewing with NFU ..

I like this company, you speak to a human who listens, and if you change any details mid stream they don't hit you with a £35 admin fee .. not the cheapest.. but as one member has in his signature... 'good no cheap.. cheap no good'

PS

I also checked with Frank Pickles.. was directed to the Adrian Flux site and the quote was about the same as NFU ..

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
I agree with you wholeheartedly!

We have used the NFU for years for the cars (initially because other companies did not seem to think that a land rover was 'normal' vehicle!). We stay with them long after the demise of the first landie for the reasons quoted above - you speak to a real person immediately and they are very helpful and obliging when needing information, advice or to alter the cover. At renewal time last year I was alarmed at the increase, even after the mutual bonus, and when I questioned it, I was offered a 10% reduction (probably for long service!).

When we got the MH I rang around for quotes and concluded that the NFU offered the best (not necessarily the cheapest) option. I got another 10% reduction at renewal too!

Customer service and aftercare are worth their weight in gold::bigsmile:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Well I for one, am pleased to hear your 'verdict' being as I have been with them for 7 years now and was slightly worried by all these major increases being quoted by all and sundry.

One thing that I will query with them later - reading 'Honest John' in the weekend Telegraph, he was advising people to put an extra named driver on the policy to spread the risk and therefore reduce the premium.

I have never heard of this before and wondered if you had, Jim.

Dick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Well I for one, am pleased to hear your 'verdict' being as I have been with them for 7 years now and was slightly worried by all these major increases being quoted by all and sundry.

One thing that I will query with them later - reading 'Honest John' in the weekend Telegraph, he was advising people to put an extra named driver on the policy to spread the risk and therefore reduce the premium.

Dick

Never heard of that Dick .. seems illogical to me.. will be interesting to hear what NFU say.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
How is it difficult to compare like for like Jim? I am doing just that now for my L200 warrior pick-up and all I tell them is how much voluntary xs and how much comp xs all the rest are add on's.::bigsmile:Best quote so far is £389 from 2 co's Yes and Sure term (m/h ins through them ) Frank Pickels did the same with me and put me onto A/flux :ROFLMAO:
terry

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
How is it difficult to compare like for like Jim?

terry

To compare properly you need to read the T&Cs for each policy .. on the surface they may look the same.. you have to get under the hood up to see where they differ.

As they say, the devil is often in the detail ..

for example..

two companies offer a courtesy car .. same price , but then read the T&Cs .. one is limited to a week. the other as long as required.. or, how much do they charge for changing details mid stream.. is it free or do they charge..

IMO .. there is no such thing as good, cheap, insurance and you only find out how good it is after you have a claim.. that was my deciding factor in choosing NFU

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
courtesy car is a add on in my book :thumb: why do you want to pay extra for a courtesy car ? I don't smash what I am driving so do not need to pay for one ::bigsmile::Smile:If sombody smashes into me they pay for one :Doh:
terry

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Dont know what year your honda is Jim but if more than three or four years old it only takes a slight knock to write em off these days:Doh:
and when that happens there is no coutesy car, as there is no repair:cry:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Dont know what year your honda is Jim but if more than three or four years old it only takes a slight knock to write em off these days:Doh:

Yes, a similar thing happened to us a few years ago with Churchill. Also, as the car was written off the insurance policy was suspended meaning the policy holder was not insured to drive any car.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
courtesy car is a add on in my book :thumb: why do you want to pay extra for a courtesy car ? I don't smash what I am driving so do not need to pay for one ::bigsmile::Smile:[HI]If sombody smashes into me they pay for one[/HI] :Doh:
terry

you miss the point Terry, that was only an example.. I don't want or need one either but to compare FAIRLY you have to read the T&Cs, not just the bottom line ..

All these EXTRAs come as standard with an NFU quote.. that was my point..

also... your assuming all drivers are insured Terry....

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ive just got my renewal through from Direct Line. Full no claims etc.
When i said i could get it cheaper from at least 15 more companies ( I had been on a comparison website ) they reduced the price by £40.
We are still paying more than lots of the other companies , but not much , and have good legal cover, courtesy car, and higher contents cover, protected no claims, something or other if the other person isn't insured etc etc. Also its not a foreign based call center.

As for putting someone else on the insurance making it cheaper , its right.
Ralph was told to put me on his pick up / dumper truck that he uses for work , to reduce the premium . It did :thumb:
I do drive it now and again , but rarely.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Point taken Geo.. all the more reason to be with a reputable insurer who will pay out a fair price without a load of hassle and who is looking for an excuse not to..

as I said to Terry.. a courtesy car was only an example, not a deal maker/breaker.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I understand what Jim is saying about checking the T&C's and I completely agree.

The T&C's can vary greatly on so many things, and so could the hidden costs;

Windscreen Cover - Is it covered or not, will they also repair cracks free.

Goods in the vehicle - After market stereos, GPS, phones, personal belongings, etc, are they covered and is there a limit (sometimes only the first £200 is covered).

Courtesy cars - as Jim mentioned.

Do you have a choice of repairer after an accident - (as discussed in a previous thread on FUN)

European Insurance Cover - Do they give you a free green card, how many days is included, is there an additional payment for the EU cover.

Can you drive other third party vehicles - Useful in an emergency.

Amendments to the policy - Is there the dreaded "admin" charge for any changes.

Commuting - Are you using it to go to work, are you covered.

These are just a few examples of things that need to be checked out when considering the overall cost, and of course, how good will the very important after sales and claims service be....
:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
While I agree with all the above :thumb: I consider them all extras ::bigsmile: What you need to do is get the basics right :thumb: then add the extras if you require them :winky: Fair enough if all the extras are included but at the end of the day if you do not need XYZ then why pay for them-my own policy is just about to expire and it had a 500 xs but I could pay 50 quid for a xs nil policy so if I had a bump I had no XS to pay :thumb: this saved me over £300 on the policy if I wanted one with nil xs :ROFLMAO::winky:Better me paying £300 less and taking the £50 hit :ROFLMAO::thumb: Minefield out there :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:
terry

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Dick
Several years ago when I insured my first RV with Adrian Flux I was told that it would be cheaper if I had a wife as a named driver on my policy.
When I asked why that would be the answer came back that she would be a calming influence on me. Obviously they didn't know my wife.:Doh:
I KID YOU NOT, Perfectly true.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
I'll agree with the second named driver advice, too.

We recently insured our car and it was 25% cheaper for both of us to be named than it was for either one of us alone.

:Confused:

It seems counter-intuitive but then, who cares as long as it keeps the money in my pocket? :Smile:

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
nfu

I have been with NFU for a long time ,just had renewals for three of our vehicles and yes major increase, I have my works van on one policy and the rv and a car on another policy (one driver under 21) I rang the local office and they came to a better price.

I have always been treated well with Nfu and will stop with them , 2 miles from the local office and I can talk to a real person not stuck on a stacking system for ages.

I also think we are paying extra for these scum bags trying to claim for anything ?
You only have to look at the television and there is always some company of solicitors trying to get people to claim for accidents .:whatthe:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have been to their HO in Stratford on Avon, stunning building, staff well catered for, covered walkway to the onsite restaurant and an indoor swimming pool.

Strange setup, the local branches simply ignore HO and do their own thing, they also suffer a lot from Jewish Lightening..

Link Removed

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Very much agree with ScotJimLand on this - we have been with the NFU for over 30 years now. we have had one or two bumps over the years and always perfect treatment - a couple of years ago we had a major smash with a 7.5 tonne lorry our lorry other party at fault - the bill for a hire lorry came to over £5,000 but all was sorted out by NFU - before that we had tried a number of different companies and service and cover was all minimum and any problems always became major problems - since then we have been with NFU - we get a discount by committing to stay with them for a given period :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Loyalty works two ways
A 54% hike in premium from the NFU this year, the Insurance governing body openly admits rises as high as 35% are possible, then where did the 54% come from:RollEyes:
it shows a total lack of past business appreciation to me, so guess where my loyalty lay this year, not with NFU for sure, and with no real effort to compete with other quotes i obtained, my loyalty lay with my wallet
I got the impression that the NFU is operated on a franchise basis with many small brokers becoming NFU Agents
The Louth office for one is a private concern trading under another name in their own right
Its such a shame as you supporters say, a very professional and personal service with excellent cover
I was sorry I had to move:Sad:

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
Been with NFU for 11 years. No claims ever. When I read the renewal premium I was gobsmacked. No joy trying to talk them into a more realistic premium on the phone so I left. I forget the exact figure but it was a lot more than 50% increase. I will give them a second chance at the next renewal because I've always been impressed with the stafff I've spoken to and a pal made a claim and was really impressed with their service.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi all,anyone who thinks about loyalty is living in cloud la-la land.Gone are the days when you had a accident and the broker sorted it out :ROFLMAO: that went as soon as legal protection polices came out. :Eeek:If you do not shop around you will be paying too much :Eeek: it is as simple as that :Doh::whatthe:Depending on which comparison site you enter details on they come up with little boxes ticked as to what is included so it is very simple to see what you are covered or not covered for :thumb:It's all well saying such as NFU (EXAMPLE) looked after my claim without bother but how do you know they will again ?How do you know other company's will not do just as good a job ?If you think the price is good for the cover you will get then that is all that matters :thumb:Shopping around is a must :thumb:
terry

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
too expensive

Just had a renewal in from NFU
and its far too expensive. Sage quoted me a while ago and it was £60
cheaper with similar cover.

I always change house insurers every year as it seem new customers get better deals than existing ones.

In the past I have haggled NFU down when it comes to car insurance. But this year I will move.
The deciding factor for me was when my son had an accident whilst insured by NFU.......they outsourced the legal side of things to a bunch of total incompetants...who were worse than useless.

Took months of pressure to go to court where my son got all his costs
and the guy who caused the accident got what he deserved.

Even the lady at NFU central office said the outsourced experts were a waste of time .

So dont have an accident and go to court with NFU...that is my experience
barry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Just out of interest,I have just spent half hour filling in a couple more comparison web sites and one for direct line :Eeek:they quoted over £1200 for same details on policy :ROFLMAO:
I now have 2 firm quotes of £388 and one of £369 inc legal and car hire with only £200 xs(100 vol 100 comp)no doubt the other 2 will as near as dam match when I ring them.As a bonus one of them will use my trade policy for the no claims :thumb: Almost all of the others will not give any discounts fro trade so I will/would have to use the m/h policy no claims :thumb: and come m/h ins time see who would mirror the ins or stay with Sureterm as they are not using the no claims from the M/H
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back