Cheap 3 SIMS - register or not? (1 Viewer)

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Something I've been pondering about. If I register a 3 SIM, does that mean that I can't subsequently use cheap 3 SIMs from ebay as 3 will be expecting me to buy top-ups at the current rate? The SIM packs say on the back of them 'not to be resold' but they obviously are!

I wasn't planning on registering at all, but then I was warned that SIMs should be registered as soon as they are activated, because SIM numbers are being stolen and access to their data allowance obtained by just giving the number to 3 if they are not registered. :Sad:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Something I've been pondering about. If I register a 3 SIM, does that mean that I can't subsequently use cheap 3 SIMs from ebay as 3 will be expecting me to buy top-ups at the current rate? The SIM packs say on the back of them 'not to be resold' but they obviously are!

I wasn't planning on registering at all, but then I was warned that SIMs should be registered as soon as they are activated, because SIM numbers are being stolen and access to their data allowance obtained by just giving the number to 3 if they are not registered. :Sad:

I buy cheap sims on 3 and Vodafone (so I got network choice if poor signal), from e-bay for data use.

They are pre-loaded with normally 1Gb or 3 Gb.

There is no need to register them, they are effectively disposable, throw away when the load has been consumed. Otherwise you will have to top up at 3's standard rates. So just stick your new cheaper e-bay sim in... No worries.

I have never had a problem. The worst that could happen if it was hacked was I could loose load on that sim. At an average of less than £3 for 1Gb and £7 for 3 Gb it would not be a big issue and as I don't top them up I cannot lose any more.

They will tell you whatever to register so they hope you top up at full price, or if they get your details they can mail, text or e-mail you with their spam.....:thumb:

Callum

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I have never had a problem. The worst that could happen if it was hacked was I could loose load on that sim. At an average of less than £3 for 1Gb and £7 for 3 Gb it would not be a big issue and as I don't top them up I cannot lose any more.

They will tell you whatever to register so they hope you top up at full price, or if they get your details they can mail, text or e-mail you with their spam.....:thumb:

Callum

Thank you for that - think I'll just continue unregistered. I bought a few 3GB SIMs when they were around £7.50-8.00. Have noticed they've gone up to over £10 on ebay over the last few days.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back