Free Member
Mar 22, 2010
Forest of Dean, Glos
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
New end of March 2010
I am touring Portugal at the moment and sadly two days ago I was broken into. The alarm was on but stupidly I had closed the curtains, for security reasons, and I had unfortunately covered the sensors on my mirror. So be warned dont fully close your curtains if your sensors are behind them.

The point of entry was a side window, they merely used a long thin knife and pushed the catches up and hey presto they were in so easily. The catches are absolutely useless and are opened so easily. I know have them tied down and obviously the curtains are always open to some degree to allow the alarm to do its job.

Does anyone know of lockable window catches or locks that can be fitted to the windows so that they can only be opened with a key. Similar to what we use for our home window locks, or any improved window security such as easily fitted alarms to each window. One window is now very vulnerable because one of the catches is broken so I have fitted a rape alarm to it and should the window be opened it lets out a very painful sounding alarm. Just want to know if there is anything similar on the market.

Lots was taken but not too much damage but I am determined that they will not spoil my time away. Any help greatly appreciated. Nannyjan.

Also I have insurance but ironincally both policies say I am not covered if vehicle left unattended and laptops and valuables also not covered. What are you supposed to do as you have to leave it sometime. Any one know of a better policy.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Hi Jan - so sorry to hear you have had trouble - your name came up in conversation last night - we were chatting with Bill & Jenny at Carmarthen and said we had not seen you in the forum for a while.

I cannot offer much suggestion in the way of window locks but I would have thought that a contents part of your policy would cover valuables - certainly our policy with NFU has a separate part which specifies certain items and we have to give a value ( laptops cameras plus other valuable over a certain value) and then there is an extra figure covering less valuable items ) I think I would ask for a review of their comments as sometimes it is so easy for an insurance company to dismiss a claim like that and hope you accept it and go away.

When are you due back and are you at any of the rallies??

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Sorry to hear about your break in Jan! Don't let it spoil your trip though!

The insurance companies expect you to have your valuables covered under your house insurance policy!
I don't understand the unattended clause - surely that's when you need the insurance?

I know ours isn't covered if we stay away overnight while abroad and leave it on a campsite but we are allowed to go out as normal!

Who are you insured with?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'd leave well alone.

If you lock them securely then you'd be hunting for a new window right now.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Also I have insurance but ironincally both policies say I am not covered if vehicle left unattended

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !

Have you discovered the Real Gassing Story ?

If you were in but had been gassed and heard nothing then you were covered.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi sorry to hear of your bad luck.Insurance first,if you put out of sight your valuables-say laptop in a cupboard then you should be covered but if you left them on a table in clear view then you will not be covered :winky:
I am not sure what type of catches you have on your van windows but normally they are plastic with a push button release type lock ,IE you push the button in and it allows you to move the catch, but when they are shut they are in effect locked :thumb:If you have sliding windows then you can simply drop in a piece of wood at the bottom of the sliding track so as to stop the window sliding until the wood it taken out :thumb:
terry

OP
OP
N

nannyjan

Free Member
Mar 22, 2010
Forest of Dean, Glos
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
New end of March 2010
Hi Jan - so sorry to hear you have had trouble - your name came up in conversation last night - we were chatting with Bill & Jenny at Carmarthen and said we had not seen you in the forum for a while.

I cannot offer much suggestion in the way of window locks but I would have thought that a contents part of your policy would cover valuables - certainly our policy with NFU has a separate part which specifies certain items and we have to give a value ( laptops cameras plus other valuable over a certain value) and then there is an extra figure covering less valuable items ) I think I would ask for a review of their comments as sometimes it is so easy for an insurance company to dismiss a claim like that and hope you accept it and go away.

When are you due back and are you at any of the rallies??

Thanks for your comments and I am back in the UK in mid June for the habitation check. Will look into insurance in mor details then. No rallies booked as yet but hope to see you soon. Nannyjan

OP
OP
N

nannyjan

Free Member
Mar 22, 2010
Forest of Dean, Glos
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
New end of March 2010
Sorry to hear about your break in Jan! Don't let it spoil your trip though!

The insurance companies expect you to have your valuables covered under your house insurance policy!
I don't understand the unattended clause - surely that's when you need the insurance?

I know ours isn't covered if we stay away overnight while abroad and leave it on a campsite but we are allowed to go out as normal!

Who are you insured with?

Hi Marie, thanks for your comments, I am insured with the same company as you insure to go and also Safeguard. I am back in UK mid June and will look into it all in more detail then. Laptop is gone so am in Portuguese library at the mo catching up. Hope you are both well and I will not let it spoil my tour. Takecare

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
So sorry you have lost your belongings, a terrible thing to experience. Hope the thief gets burnt fingers !

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:cry:Oh Jan, sorry, only just got your mail.... I wish I could get my hands on the b****rd..... It shouldn't happen to such a lovely lady as you... and as for the insurance company:Angry: what the blazes do we pay insurance for...

I know you won't let them take away that lovely smile you always have for everybody, and look forward to your coming home and meeting up again. Great believer in karma .... but sometimes seems to take a Hell of a long time for it to catch up... Hugs me love... Joy x

PS Jan, what is the exact wording on the policy re the van being unoccupied please? I am wondering if you can find a way round it just as they seem to be doing.. Are you only covered if you are in and they tie you down or something .... daft beggars. It's totally useless insurance isn't it for goods being stolen. x

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back