Mifi ? (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
HI , Iam soon going on travels dorset, cornwall, bristol, so thinking of getting a Mifi on 3 ,Pay as you go ,wondered if any body else has any experience of this type of wireless wifi gadget. Supposed to be ideal so as not looking for hotspots . would have my own !
Terry :RollEyes:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Great bit of kit, its nice for everyone in the van to have a connection on their laptops or smartphones. No wires. You can sit outside your van too, the range is very good. I thouroughly reccomend it, I'm using one right now:Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Got one last week. Only used it at home so far but it seems pretty good and looking forward to using it in the van

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I have one and agree with what has been said.

However do you have a smart phone with a data allowance. If so check whether the phone itself will work as a portable WiFi hotspot. If it does then you can use this for connection to the net from your laptop and save the expense of a MiFi.

Lunarman

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Cant say whether its the best deal but it suits me:
three deal
Using phone now as hotspot here in Carmarthen.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
so thinking of getting a Mifi
Terry :RollEyes:

One downside is battery power. I've seen 5 hours mentioned, so sooner or later it goes flat on you, everything battery powered is out to get you.

Plug in dongle powered by computer.

So to me it looks like, single user think dongle, multi user MiFi.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
One downside is battery power. I've seen 5 hours mentioned, so sooner or later it goes flat on you, everything battery powered is out to get you.

Well put Brian. MiFi certainly isn't worth it if only one device is in use at a time.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years

I would think that a dongle plugged into the lap-top would run the lap-top's battery down quicker ??????? so it would need charging sooner ??
We just run mi-fi and laptop off an inverter (don't have a 12 volt charger for laptop) Also have them charging whenever we run the genny
Nigel & Pamala
BTW---we get on very well with the mi-fi

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I have a 3 MiFi which is unlocked, so I can swop sim cards. Sometimes the signal on 3 is not so good so I put in my Vodafone sim, and vice versa. I also swop and use local sims when abroad.

Also when the signal is weak you can position the MiFi high up in the van (eg in the overcab bed by the window) to improve signal reception. Easier to do as it is not connected to your laptop. You could of course just use a usb extension cable but it is tidier without wires.

It is handy, particularly if more than one user is connecting. If you were just connecting one laptop it would probably be cheaper just to buy a 5 metre USB extension cable so you can position your dongle around the van.

I get up to 5 or 6 hours use from the MiFi battery. :thumb:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
I use the wifi hotspot that is built into my Android phone (i can also get the same thing with my Samsung Galaxy Tablet which is unlocked to any network and has a great battery life of about 6-7 hours). Ive had 4 devices running off the Galaxy and it was not to bad. Its on the 3 network all you can eat data package at £10 per month. :thumb:

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I would think that a dongle plugged into the lap-top would run the lap-top's battery down quicker ??????? so it would need charging sooner ??

Oh yes but you can see the laptop charge.

I'm good at losing things, so between losing it and it going flat a MiFi might not be best for me.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Only Three offer MiFi at the moment so the only alternative to their deals is to buy an unlocked device on eBay to use with a SIM you already have.

Not correct it is offered by vodafone under a different name

Link Removed

I think this is because 3 own the MiFi name in the uk

Lunarman

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
I've got a mifi, had it for a couple of years.

Great bit of kit, Suzy and I can use it at the same time so we don't need a dongle each.

I use it with a three sim which cost £8-ish and gives me 3gb over 3 months :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not correct it is offered by vodafone under a different name

Link Removed

I think this is because 3 own the MiFi name in the uk

Lunarman

Somebody mentioned those a few weeks ago. It's a slightly different device as you have to have a Vodafone dongle (or an unlocked dongle with Vodafone SIM) to plug into it to make it work. Basically it adds the WiFi hotspot bit to an existing dongle, unlike the MiFi device which is an all-in-one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back