LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Can anyone suggest a way forward to a friends dilema. He has a Lunar Roadstar 786 which was register as PLG by the supplying dealer from new. As this is the same vehicle as mine I questioned why this was, as mine was registered as PHG because the MAM is 3850kg and he was paying £40 a year more in road tax.

So he went to DVLA to change the registration but they would not accept the Alko plate as proof. There a 2 plates on the vehicle the original Fiat Plate showing 3500kg and the one for the Alko chassis conversion showing 3850kg.

He enquired of Lunar the original manufacturers who say that their records show it is correctly registered as PLG because it is 3500kg.

I remember when I had a previous Lunar 780 and it was incorrectly registered all I did was altered the V5 and took it to the local DVLA office and it was accepted no problem.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and how did they overcome it?

Lunarman

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could try contacting (emailing) alko kober with the full chassis number and possibly a photo of the alko plate.
they are the folks who will provide a certificate of conformity.....not lunar.
you really need the cert of conformity as it makes it so much easier to get the revenue weight changed at DVLA.

Andy at swift leisure sorted mine but the certificate came from alko kober.....along with a second plate with a reduced train weight.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I simply would do as the v5 asks
if any mistakes are found please correct and send back to dvla
1.The weight is wrong
2. the taxation class is wrong
a personal visit is not the best way,if they want to see it they will ask
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I simply would do as the v5 asks
if any mistakes are found please correct and send back to dvla
1.The weight is wrong
2. the taxation class is wrong
a personal visit is not the best way,if they want to see it they will ask
Geo
just one problem there george, what you see on the V5 is an EXACT copy of what they have on their records, so they'll send it back unaltered.

definately is worth the time to go in person to help explain.

if the V5 says PLG, then PLG it shall remain until proved otherwise....re...cert of conformity from alko kober or ministry inspection.

Lunarman......better let your friend know his road tax will also need updating (£165pa or £90ish for 6 months) at the same time as the corrections are made, regardless of renewal date.
they wont change anything without a new tax disc.

the old disc will be refunded (on the spot i think) for any remaining full months

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I have a Lunar 780, which needed to be uprated so i contacted ALKO who, for £75 sent me a new proof of MAM Certificate which stated the new weight of 3850Kg. I sent this to DVLA who upgraded their records, issued me new V5C they alos automatically made it a PHGV and gave me a refund on part of my Vehicle Tax .

Hope this is of help, by the way it does take a bit of time.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
£75 :Eeek: you wuz robbed !

mine cost nowt, maybe because swift sorted it but i cant see them footing the bill for the original registering dealers mistake somehow.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
just one problem there george, what you see on the V5 is an EXACT copy of what they have on their records, so they'll send it back unaltered.

definately is worth the time to go in person to help explain.

if the V5 says PLG, then PLG it shall remain until proved otherwise....re...cert of conformity from alko kober or ministry inspection.

Lunarman......better let your friend know his road tax will also need updating (£165pa or £90ish for 6 months) at the same time as the corrections are made, regardless of renewal date.
they wont change anything without a new tax disc.

the old disc will be refunded (on the spot i think) for any remaining full months
I beg to differ John, of course their records show the same as the V5 they printed it from their records:Doh:
I have returned many V5s with incorrect details and they return the V5 corrected

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
£75 :Eeek: you wuz robbed !

mine cost nowt, maybe because swift sorted it but i cant see them footing the bill for the original registering dealers mistake somehow.

Why so sure that it was a mistake by the original registering dealer ?

Could it not have been deliberately de-rated to suit the original buyer's driving licence? There have been many posts from members enquiring about doing the same, sometimes for medical reasons but more often age related.

OP
OP
lunarman

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Why so sure that it was a mistake by the original registering dealer ?

Could it not have been deliberately de-rated to suit the original buyer's driving licence? There have been many posts from members enquiring about doing the same, sometimes for medical reasons but more often age related.

Just to let you know I owned the Van that Estcres now has. When I had it it was classed as PHG with a weight of 3850 kg. I got it changed to that in the way that Geo said when I added my personal plate. This was in a personal visit to the Local DVLA office.
It seems that when the transfer was made by the dealer I sold it to it was reregistered as plg on reversion to its original reg no.

Lunarman

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just to let you know I owned the Van that Estcres now has. When I had it it was classed as PHG with a weight of 3850 kg. I got it changed to that in the way that Geo said when I added my personal plate. This was in a personal visit to the Local DVLA office.
It seems that when the transfer was made by the dealer I sold it to it was reregistered as plg on reversion to its original reg no.

Lunarman
This is why I say postal aplications work better
If a newbie or ill informed person gets the paper work he will ask a collegue for help and get it right, 70% of the time anyway:Doh:if you do a personal visit its pot luck who you get, get the newbie he will make an ill informed decision to your face and stick with it, get an experianced member of staff like lunerman did and it sails through:thumb:
the system is geared up for postal workloads, they dont like people, peoplr get angry, as most of the time the applicant knows twice as much as the DVLA:Doh:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
When I imported my 1992 Hymer S700 I went to the local DVLA office and the person examined all the documents and checked that they were OK. They allocated a registration number, and then sent everything in the internal mail to Swansea.

My V5C arrived back as a Mercedes, Renault Scenic, Pickup. With a PLG tax.

I telephoned Swansea and then returned all of the info again. This time it arrived as a Mercedes, Hymer, Motor caravan but still PLG. When I queried the tax band again they said that the ULW was 3400kg and that was the revenue weight so insisted that it was PLG.

The MGW is 4600kg on the plate and documents that were sent to DVLA three times.

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No

Lunarman

Well, if the van had been previously classed as PHG it will be on DVLA's records. That seems to me to be a cogent argument that would help your friend more than any other.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Well, if the van had been previously classed as PHG it will be on DVLA's records. That seems to me to be a cogent argument that would help your friend more than any other.

It would if they kept records
They dont
Each new record wipes out the old un
As testers we check V5 and DVLA records mulitple times every day
you can count on one hand the number of correct V5s
The main fault I belive rests with the data input people I dont think they read anything just mentally scan it after you have enterd 300 Ducatos at 3.5. only their brain wont see 3850Kg
as soon as Ducato crops up 3.5 is automaticly entered:Doh:
When they enter a VIN No the system is expecting 17 didgets, if they miss one and they get an error on input, they dont look to see whats missing they punch in owt till its excepted:RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back