Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
We are away at the moment in East Yorkshire and yesterday I noticed around the kitchen windows lowish down that part of the wall boards were a bit soft. They are fine in the cupboards above.

I cant smell damp. There is an extractor fan with a cracked cover which I have been trying to replace since I got the van 3 years ago! The Windows seem ok.

could it just be condensation build up or have I got a leak and a damp problem. The panels behind the kitchen drawers are a little soft as well but some areas are perfectly hard.

We are supposed to be going away early June to Europe for 3 months. I called the only dealer near us (that I would use) Ropers at Catterick and they cant look at it until mid June!

Its a Kontiki 640 1996. We live between Richmond and Barnard Castle.

Any suggestions or help appreciated.

Cheers
Barry

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Could be from the sideboard area, sink or tap tails leaking. You need to get under the sink to have a good look. As for the walls, if soft, just remove and let them air through the summer, and replace with more board if it dries out ok. If badly rotten, you can need to replace supports - but on a van of that age, it can get horribly expensive to have it done at a repairers.

Check other corners, roof lights quite often are targets for leaking - it runs along the inside of the roof panel and heads for the corners!

Look at the selaer on the windows and joints - see if it is old/cracked etc. It may be that they need removing and resealing!

Our hire vans get done every 3-5 years, everything off and reseal. Takes a bit of time, but better than damp ever penetrating!

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
May I suggest a good start would be to go to a B&Q and invest in a good damp meter - they are not expensive and will give you a good indication of where your problems lie and to what extent. If you do it on a day when you have not been in it for a while and it is as dry as possible you will get the most accurate readings.

We have one and check around regularly

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Many thanks for that

The soft spots are well above the sideboard / kitchen work tops. They are around the window and above the cooker but there is no sign of a leak or anything wrong. All the cupboards above or ok. Its only parts of the wall that are soft but it does extend below the units (kitchen).

There is no smell or sign of damp anywhere in the van and no stains at all on the roof or cupboards.

Could it not be caused by condensation from long periods of use of the cooker?

I could be worrying about nothing but I would like to get it checked out before we head of in June for 3 months!

I am at a loss as to where to take it.

Cheers

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Barry - would you happen to be going to any of the meets that Mark (CLS) or Ash are booked into? I'm sure advice is free? LOL

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
DO you get a lot of condensation on the windows Barry?

stew

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Thanks everyone

I haven't any plans to go to any meets. Is there one near us (north east) soon?

No condensation on any Windows.

Ideally I could do with someone having a look and saying either it needs addressing immediately or its not that bad and will wait till after our long trip to Europe.

We are supposed to be going early June for 3 months!

My friend has a damp proofing company and could probably check it with a high quality meter but he is not a motorhome expert.

If there is anyone who is familiar with this kind of thing that lives in the North I would be very grateful for your opinion.

Thanks
Barry

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Biggest cause of condensation is when hot air hits a cold surface. Hot air also rises. Logic says that if it is going to collect on the walls it would also collect on the windows.

I think you really need advice from someone who knows caravans/motorhomes. A damp proofing expert will have the equipment but maybe not the experience to analize the readings.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
We are away at the moment in East Yorkshire and yesterday I noticed around the kitchen windows lowish down that part of the wall boards were a bit soft. They are fine in the cupboards above.

I cant smell damp. There is an extractor fan with a cracked cover which I have been trying to replace since I got the van 3 years ago! The Windows seem ok.

could it just be condensation build up or have I got a leak and a damp problem. The panels behind the kitchen drawers are a little soft as well but some areas are perfectly hard.

We are supposed to be going away early June to Europe for 3 months. I called the only dealer near us (that I would use) Ropers at Catterick and they cant look at it until mid June!

Its a Kontiki 640 1996. We live between Richmond and Barnard Castle.

Any suggestions or help appreciated.

Cheers
Barry

While in east yorks why not call in at http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/ they will test it and give recommendations
terry

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I know it's fair step from you but what about Dick Lane Motorhomes in Pudsey (Leeds) or Richard Baldwins at Halifax? :Smile:

Ivy

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Just sent you a PM.

Cheers for that

Just called the guy and left a message.

Thanks for the other tips guys, will have a look at those options as well.

I dont mind driving to Leeds or Newcastle or whereever. What I do worry about is some of the dealers I have come across close to us I wouldnt touch with a barge pole. A recommendation on here is worth a lot. I will follow Up Mikes PM first as the guy he recommended is local to me so will see where that gets me.

Regard
Barry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back